Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson
|Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson|
|Cover artist||Terry Richardson|
|Publisher||Grand Central Publishing|
|Publication date||November 22, 2011|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson is a photo-book by American singer Lady Gaga and American photographer Terry Richardson, released on November 22, 2011 by Grand Central Publishing. The book features more than 350 pictures of Gaga as taken by Richardson during a ten-month period. In addition to photographs, it includes a foreword written by the singer about her relationship with Richardson. The duo had collaborated on other projects prior to the shooting of the book. Upon release, Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson received positive reviews from critics, who praised both the provocative pictures as well as simpler shots of Gaga without makeup and stage costumes. The book appeared at number five on The New York Times Best Seller list.
Background and inspiration
Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson consists of photos (in black-and-white and in color) that Richardson took of Gaga during a ten-month period, ranging from the singer's performance at Lollapalooza in 2010 to the final shows of her 2009–11 Monster Ball Tour. More than 100,000 pictures were taken during the time period with over 350 appearing in the book. The book also includes a Gaga-written foreword about her relationship with Richardson that doubles as an examination of self. "Sometimes it seems as though I've waited my entire life to be photographed by Terry Richardson," reads an excerpt of the introduction. "With Terry, the relationship extends beyond the photograph, and if you're lucky, he will teach you something truly profound about yourself."
Prior to the shooting of Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson, Gaga and Richardson had worked together on several project. These include an advertisement for New York skate shop and clothing brand Supreme and photoshoots for Vogue Hommes Japan and Harper's Bazaar. Jamie Raab (executive vice president of Grand Central Publishing) said "We are proud to be publishing this remarkable collaboration between Lady Gaga and Terry Richardson and anticipate that it will be one of the most stunning, provocative and coveted books of the 2011 holiday season."
Gaga claimed that she held nothing back from Richardson, who was with her "every minute, every moment" during the photographing period. "It's completely unfiltered," the singer said. "He has photographs of me waking up in the morning, brushing my teeth, in the bathroom, in the bathtub, the shower." She added that - true to Richardson's photographing style - nothing in the book was staged. "He can get you to do things and he can capture things that no one can ever capture," she said. Richardson also took pictures of Gaga's fans for the book - which she appreciated - explaining to The Hollywood Reporter:
"My favorite thing, honestly, is that [Richardson] loved the fans. He shot the fans the same way he shot me: with no pretense. No 'Well, she’s put out records and they haven't.' None of that. The music was all of ours... He would come backstage and he would say, 'Oh my God, the fans!' And I'd say, 'I Know... I know what you just photographed'. And he'd say, 'Baby, wow!' And then he'd film me, like, peeing in a cup and, like, ridiculous things."
Release and reception
Gaga posted a video of herself reading the foreword of the book aloud on her YouTube account days before the book's release. On November 22, 2011, a book party was held at the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York where Gaga attended for book signings. Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson debuted on The New York Times Best Seller list at number five among hardcover advice/miscellaneous books for the week ending November 26, 2011. It fell to number fourteen in its second week and remained there for its third week before rising to number eleven in its fourth week. It reentered the top ten in its fifth week at number nine and rose to number six the following week. The book's publishing rights for the United Kingdom were brought from Grand Central Publishing by Hodder & Stoughton (an imprint of Hachette UK).
The book received positive reviews from critics. New York magazine's James Lim wrote, "While Lady Gaga's magazines [sic] covers are becoming increasingly ladylike (kind of), Terry Richardson's brand-new photo book, Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson, shows the wild, funky, creative Gaga that we all know and love." Liesl Bradner of the Los Angeles Times expressed surprise at seeing Gaga without her makeup and stage costumes. "It's when the singer takes a moment from the madness, pulls back her hair and ditches the costumes, that we see the real girl who is the mastermind behind the monster," Bradner wrote, adding that "fans won't be disappointed". Eden Carter Wood of Diva magazine wrote, "The book contains some great portraits, but it's probably fair to say that it's really one for the superfans." Arthur House from The Daily Telegraph shared Wood's opinion, adding that "'Little Monsters' [Gaga's fans] will find much to enjoy in Lady Gaga’s glossy collaboration with fashion photographer Terry Richardson." Toronto Star's David Graham compared the book to Madonna's similar styled book called Sex (released in 1992). However, he found a "distinct lack of fanfare surrounding the book. Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson, is far from the shock and awe that erupted when Madonna came out with Sex, photographed by a variety of artists including Steven Meisel. Yet the newer book, simply labelled 'Gaga' on the cover, is filled with outrageous — even disturbing — photographs of the outrageous singer/ performance artist."
- Lyons, Margaret (2011-07-28). "Lady Gaga and Terry Richardson Are Publishing a Photo Book Together". New York. New York Media LLC. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- Kaufman, Gil (2011-07-29). "Lady Gaga To Release Photo Book". MTV News. MTV Networks. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- Montogmery, James (2011-11-16). "Lady Gaga Reads To Her Fans From Photo Book". MTV News. MTV Networks. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- Montgomery, James (2011-08-02). "Lady Gaga Calls Terry Richardson Book 'Completely Unfiltered'". MTV News. MTV Networks. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- Schillaci, Sophie (2011-08-02). "Lady Gaga on Terry Richardson Book: 'I Didn’t Hold Anything Back'". The Hollywood Reporter (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Kinser, Jeremy (2011-11-15). "Lady Gaga Previews Book, Parts With Creative Director". The Advocate. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Frith, Holly (2011-11-23). "Lady Gaga Attends 'Lady Gaga X Terry Richardson' Book Launch In New York". Gigwise. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Sciaretto, Amy (2011-11-14). "Lady Gaga Book Party Set For November 22". PopCrush.
- "Best Sellers: Hardcover Advice & Misc. (December 11, 2011)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- "Best Sellers: Hardcover Advice & Misc. (December 18, 2011)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- "Best Sellers: Hardcover Advice & Misc. (December 25, 2011)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-01-10.
- "Best Sellers: Hardcover Advice & Misc. (January 1, 2012)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-01-10.
- "Best Sellers: Hardcover Advice & Misc. (January 8, 2012)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-01-10.
- "Best Sellers: Hardcover Advice & Misc. (January 15, 2012)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-01-10.
- Neill, Graeme (2011-09-13). "Hodder buys official Lady Gaga photo book". The Bookseller (Bookseller Media Ltd). Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Lim, James (2011-11-30). "First Look: Terry Richardson’s Lady Gaga Photo Book". New York. New York Media LLC. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- Bradner, Liesl (2011-12-03). "The gift of Gaga". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- Wood, Eden Carter (2011-12-01). "Book Review: Lady Gaga by Terry Richardson". Diva. Millivres Prowler Limited. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- House, Arthur (2011-12-03). "Books for Christmas: Music". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Limited. Retrieved 2011-12-09.
- Graham, David (2011-11-27). "Lady Gaga: Between the covers". Toronto Star (Torstar). Archived from the original on 2011-11-12. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson — Official website
- The Naughty Knave of Fashion’s Court The New York Times