Katherine Neville, Duchess of Norfolk
|Duchess of Norfolk|
|Spouse||John de Mowbray, 2nd Duke of Norfolk
John, Viscount Beaumont
John de Mowbray, 3rd Duke of Norfolk
|Family||House of Neville|
|Father||Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland|
Katherine Neville or Catherine de Neville (born c. 1400 – died after 1483) was the eldest daughter of Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland (1364–1425) and Joan Beaufort. Through her mother she was a granddaughter of John of Gaunt.
Katherine married for a second time to Thomas Strangeways (c. 1395-before 1442) - they had 2 daughters:
- Joan Strangeways, who married Sir William Willoughby. Their daughter Cecily married Edward Sutton, 2nd Baron Dudley. They were ancestors of Herbert Hoover, among many others.
- Katherine Strangeways, who married Henry Grey, 4th (7th) Baron Grey of Codnor.
She married for a third time to John, Viscount Beaumont, who was killed in 1460.
Her fourth and last marriage was infamous, known by contemporaries as the "diabolical marriage". She married John Woodville, brother of Queen Elizabeth Woodville. He was 19 years old at the time of their marriage, while she was 65. Nonetheless, she survived him, as he was executed in 1469 after the Battle of Edgecote, on the orders of her nephew Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick during a brief period of Lancastrian readeption. Whether or not she was forced into her final marriage against her will is unclear, but it added to the deep dislike of the Queen's family among the ruling class, which greatly weakened the Yorkist dynasty.
She was still alive in 1483, having survived all her children.
- Neville family
- Green., 82
- Douglas Richardson, Kimball G. Everingham, Plantagenet ancestry: a study in colonial and medieval families, Genealogical Publishing Com, 2004
- Bruce Harrison, The Family Forest Descendants of Lady Joan Beaufort, Millisecond Publishing Company, Inc, pp 15, 34
- Descent of Herbert Clark Hoover from Edward III
- Ross, Charles Edward IV Eyre and Methuen 1974 p.93
- thepeerage Accessed December 13, 2008
- Neville family Accessed December 13, 2008
- Green, Mary Anne Everett. Letters of Royal and Illustrious Ladies of Great Britain, From the Commencement of the Twelfth Century to the Close of the Reign of Queen Mary. London: H. Colburn, 1846. googlebooks Retrieved December 13, 2008
- Oxford History of England, 1399–1485, 485ff.