Casta by Studio Harcourt Paris, 2005
|Born||Laetitia Marie Laure Casta
11 May 1978
|Agent||Adequat, Hamilton Hodell, IMG|
|Height||5 ft 6 1⁄2 in (169 cm)|
Laetitia Marie Laure Casta (born 11 May 1978) is a French actress and model. Casta became a "GUESS? Girl" in 1993 and gained further recognition as a Victoria's Secret Angel from 1998 to 2000 and as a spokesperson for cosmetics company L'Oreal. She has appeared on over 100 covers of such popular magazines as Cosmopolitan, Vogue, Rolling Stone, Elle and Glamour, and modeled for designers like Yves Saint Laurent, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Chanel, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, J. Crew, Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Roberto Cavalli, Lolita Lempicka, and Vivienne Westwood. Casta became an established actress, appearing in the films Gainsbourg (A Heroic Life), Face and Blue Bicycle, as well as the play Ondine at the theatre Antoine.
Casta was born in Pont-Audemer, Normandy, France. Her mother, Line Blin, is from Normandy. Her father, Dominique Casta, is from Corsica. She has an older brother, Jean-Baptiste, and a younger sister, Marie-Ange. She spent her childhood in Normandy and Corsica.
Casta's modeling career reportedly began when she was discovered by the photographer Frederic Cresseaux, during a family holiday in her father's native Corsica, at age 15. After her unexpected registration by Jeeby, Casta was elected Miss Lumio 93.
Casta has been the L'Oreal Paris brand ambassador since 1998. She has been featured in Guess? Jeans, Tommy Hilfiger, Miu Miu, Pepe Jeans, Alberta Ferretti and XOXO ad campaigns. Casta has appeared on over 100 magazine covers including Victoria's Secret catalogs, Harper's Bazaar, ELLE magazine, and Vogue magazine. She walked down the annual Victoria's Secret Fashion Show in 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2000. Casta was one of the company's signature Victoria' Secret Angels from 1998 to 2000. She also appeared in three consecutive Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issues, Rolling Stone, and the Pirelli Calendar 1999 by Herb Ritts and 2000 by Annie Leibovitz.
In 1999, Casta was ranked first in a national survey ordered by the French Mayors Association to decide who should be the new model for the bust of Marianne, an allegorical symbol of the French Republic, which stands inside every French town hall.
Casta became the focus of a controversy when, after being selected to be Marianne, newspapers in Britain and France reported that she had relocated to London where taxes on high earners are lower. Casta's father said she went to London for professional reasons; on a TV show, she also said that she rented a flat in London to be near her boyfriend. The French minister of the interior spoke about Casta on the radio; comparing the advantages of living in France with regard to the drawbacks of London after political opponents used Casta's relocation to London as an opportunity to criticise the government.
She is the face of fragrances Chanel's Allure, Givenchy's Forbidden flower, Cacharel's Promise, Bulgari's BLV II, Ralph Lauren's Notorious, and in 15 June 2012 D&G's Pour Femme shot in Erice by Mario Testino. The Parisians could follow her Adventures in the Galeries Lafayette by Jean-Paul Goude. For Christmas 2011, Peter Lindbergh shot True Love, the very thought of Casta at the summit of Manhattan and between the snowy lions of marble of the New York Public Library for Tiffany & Co. On 10 March 2010, in Paris, she opened the Louis Vuitton Fall/Winter 2010 fashion show. On 27 September 2010, she closed the Roberto Cavalli SS 2011 fashion show in Milan.
For her first movie, Casta has made forays into the blockbuster Asterix & Obelix Take On Caesar directed by Claude Zidi, a live-action film of the comic book Asterix; in which Obelix, portrayed by Gerard Depardieu, plays a love interest for Falbala. Casta appeared in Les Ames Fortes, a dramatic film directed by Raul Ruiz. Her interpretation of Brigitte Bardot in the movie Gainsbourg (Vie heroique) revealed the actress who received her first nomination at the Cesar Award. Casta served as a jury member at the 69th Venice International Film Festival in 2012.
On 6 April 2008, Casta demonstrated in a White March of nonviolent protest to ask for the immediate release of Ingrid Betancourt, presidential candidate kidnapped since 2002 by the FARC. On 30 April 2002, she attended the demonstration Vive la Republique after the first round election of the 2002 presidential election.
On 19 October 2001, Casta gave birth to her daughter, Sahteene, by photographer Stephane Sednaoui. Casta is engaged to Italian actor Stefano Accorsi. The couple have two children, a son named Orlando, born on 21 September 2006, and a daughter named Athena, born on 29 August 2009.
Awards and recognition
|2012||Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres(French)
(Knight in Order of Arts and of Letters)
|France Minister of Culture and of Communication|
|2011||Nominated for the Cesar Award of the Best Supporting Actress
as Brigitte Bardot in Gainsbourg (Vie heroique)
|2008||Golden Swann of the Best Actress
as Catherine in Born in 68
|Cabourg Film Festival (French)||Won|
|2001||Ranked No. 1 Top 50 Most Beautiful Women||Askmen.com|
|1999||Marianne for the 21st century||82nd congress of AMF, the French Mayors Association||Won|
(She is waiting for you)
|Anna||Florian Zeller||Florian Zeller||the Madeleine||Paris 8th||Madame Figaro|
|Ondine||Ondine||Jean Giraudoux||Jacques Weber||Tour in regions
Antoine - Simone Berriau
|2014||Rio 2||Perla (Jewel)||Carlos Saldanha||First sequel|
|Una donna per amica||Claudia||Giovanni Veronesi|
|Des lendemains qui chantent||Noemie Archambault||Nicolas Castro|
|Sous les jupes des filles||Agathe||Audrey Dana|
|2013||Une histoire d'amour
|The young woman||Helene Fillieres|
|2012||Arbitrage||Julie Cote||Nicholas Jarecki||First American film|
|Do not disturb||Anna||Yvan Attal|
|2011||La nouvelle guerre des boutons
(The War of the Buttons)
|Derriere les murs
(Behind the Walls)
| ???????? (Bulgarian)
|Sophie||Kamen Kalev||First film with English dialogue|
|Rio||Perla (Jewel)||Carlos Saldanha|
|2010||Gainsbourg (Vie heroique)
(Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life)
|Brigitte Bardot||Joann Sfar||Nominated for the Cesar Award for Best Supporting Actress
Performs Gainsbourg's songs on the soundtrack
(Face) ? (Chinese)
|Fleurs dans le miroir,
lune dans l'eau
(Flowers in the mirror,
moon in the water)
|herself, Salome||Francois Lunel|
|2008||Nes en 68
(Born in 68)
|Cabourg: Golden Swann of the Best Actress|
|La jeune fille et les loups
(The Maiden and the Wolves)
|Angele Amblard||Gilles Legrand|
|2007||Le Petit Monde de Charlotte
|Charlotte A. Cavatica||Gary Winick|
|2006||Le grand appartement
(The Big Apartment)
|Francesca Cigalone||Pascal Thomas|
|La Deraison du Louvre
(The Irrationality of the Louvre)
|The young woman||Ange Leccia||Short film without dialog shot in the Louvre museum for which Casta was for the first time in cover of Les Cahiers du Cinema.|
|The naiad||Ange Leccia||Short film|
|2004||Luisa Sanfelice||Luisa Sanfelice||Paolo Taviani
|TV film for France2, RAI Uno|
|2002||Rue des plaisirs
|Marion||Patrice Leconte||Performs on the soundtrack|
|2001||Les ames fortes
|2000||La Bicyclette Bleue
(The Blue Bicycle)
|Lea Delmas||Thierry Binisti||TV film for France2|
|Gitano||Lucia Junco||Manuel Palacios|
|1999||Asterix et Obelix contre Cesar
(Asterix & Obelix Take On Caesar)
|2010||Rihanna||Te Amo||Anthony Mandler|
|1999||Chris Isaak||Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing||Herb Ritts|
|Terre d'Oru(English)(Corsican)(Greek)||Stefano Salvati|
DVD and Blu-ray
|2007||Laetitia Casta||StudioCanal||French||2||with Yves Saint Laurent, Pierre Berge, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Dominique Issermann, Sylvie Lancrenon, Jamel Debbouze, Omar Sy & Fred Testot, Frederic Lopez, Jean-Paul Goude, Jacques Weber, Claude Zidi|
|2010||Porteurs d'Eau (French)||Water-carrier is an initiative of France Libertes - Danielle-Mitterrand foundation (French)|
|2006||Rose Marie Claire (French)||Casta among Claire Chazal, Isabelle Adjani, Axelle Red, Monica Bellucci and Tina Kieffer with the Rose Marie Claire (French) are shot by Jeff Manzetti for the association Toutes a l'ecole (French)|
|2005||Action Innocence||She belongs to the Committee of support of Action Innocence to protect the children from the dangers of the Internet.|
|2004||Action Contre la Faim||Casta drew a winged blue heart on a plate for the bidding of 19 November 2004 to help Action against Hunger|
|2002||Occi, paese rinascitu (Corsican)||In the headquarters of the association Occi recovered village at the Caffe di a Mossa of Lumio in Corsica, Casta helped to reconstruct the old chapel of Annunziata in the abandoned village of Occi.
Watch the Occi video on YouTube by official Korsika.fr
- Issermann, Dominique (January 2012). Xavier Barral, ed. Laetitia Casta (in French). ISBN 978-2-36511-004-4.
- Sapin, Mathieu (20 January 2010). Delcourt, ed. Feuille de chou 1. Journal d'un tournage (in French). ISBN 978-2-7560-1857-7.
- Marciano, Paul (1 July 2002). A Second Decade of Guess Images: 1991-2001. Gingko Press. ISBN 978-0-9636728-1-0.
- Tremolet, Laurence (March 2002). Rezina, Collectionneur, ed. Dans l'ombre des ames fortes. ISBN 978-2-909450-87-2.
- Reilly, Rick; Steven, Hoffman (28 September 2001). Sports Illustrated: Knockouts, Five Decades of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Photography. Sports Illustrated. ISBN 978-1-929049-47-9.
- Casta, Laetitia (24 November 1999). Assouline, ed. Laetitia Casta (in French). ISBN 978-2-84323-179-7.
- Di Caro, Roberto; Heath, Christopher (1 September 1999). Callaway, ed. Laetitia Casta. Viking Studio. ISBN 978-0-67088-819-1.
- Laetitia Cast Bio, Fashion Industry Archive. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- FMD profile. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Laetitia Casta, Assouline 1999, p. 12
- Laetitia Casta's biography by Vogue Paris
- Laetitia Casta, Assouline 1999, p. 15
- Laetitia Casta Official: Miss Lumio 93 (in French).
- L'Oreal Paris, Laetitia Casta's biography
- Harper's Bazaar uk Cover October 2012 by Sebastian Faena Hairstyle by Nicolas Jurnjack 
- "The Marianne". Consulate General of France in New York.
- La fugue Casta, affaire d'Etat (in French), Le Soir, 4 April 2000
- Quand Marianne s'exile a Londres (in French), Le Point, 31 March 2000
- Marianne: impots ou intox a la Une (in French), Liberation, 6 April 2000
- Au revoir, les taxes, Salon, 17 April 2000
- Zut Alors! A National Treasure Flirts With Heresy The New York Times, 9 April 2000
- "France galled by model move", BBC News, 3 April 2000
- Symbol of France prefers London, The New Zealand Herald, 5 April 2000 also in Die Welt (in German) on 10 April 2000 quoting the Daily Mail's title Marianne Unfaithful.
- "The disloyalty of Marianne", The Economist, 6 April 2000
- Laetitia Casta: Dolce & Gabbana's latest fragrance muse, Swide, 15 June 2012
- Jean-Paul Goude official: Work > Advertising > Photography
- Laetitia Casta's campaigns, Alla Rosa Production
- Mower, Sarah (10 March 2010). Style, Louis Vuitton Fall 2010, Paris
- Style, Roberto Cavalli Spring Summer 2011 RTW, Milan 27 September 2010
- Elley, Derek (31 January 1999). Asterix & Obelix Vs. Caesar, Variety
- Laetitia Casta cuts teeth on Serious Film International Herald Tribune, 29 May 2001.
- Aftab, Kaleem (16 January 2010). Saga of a tormented artist's highs and lows, The Independent
- "Marina Abramovic, Laetitia Casta, Peter Ho-Sun Chan, Ari Folman, Matteo Garrone, Ursula Meier, Samantha Morton, Pablo Trapero to form the Venezia 69 International Jury chaired by Michael Mann". Venice Film Festival. 13 July 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- White March for Ingrid Betancourt (in French), INA, 6 April 2008.
- Demonstration Vive la Republique (in French), France 3 TV news 19|20 by INA, 30 April 2002.
- Sei mamma? Ti licenziano (in Italian) (You are mother? You are fired), Style, 28 April 2009
- "AskMen.com - Laetitia Casta former Number 1". Au.askmen.com. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- Laetitia Casta Officiel: Theatre (in French)
- Laetitia Casta: "Quand on est tendre, on est soi" (in French), Madame Figaro, 23 August 2008
- "Laetitia Casta begeisterte als Wassernixe in Ludwigshafen" (in German), Hamburger Morgenpost, 30 November 2005
- Devine qui vient ondiner(French), L'Humanite, 27 September 2004 by Jean-Pierre Leonardini
- Danesi, Fabien. Review about The Folly of the Louvre, Films by The Louvre
- Frodon, Jean Michel (April 2006). The Dream of Light. Les Cahiers du Cinema, issue 611.
- Frederic Sanchez: English > Press > Les Cahiers du Cinema, April 2006
- L'Oreal about the associations of Action Innocence and of Sebastien Proyart
- L'oeil de la Balagne (in French), L'Express, 20 June 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Laetitia Casta.|
- Official website (French)
- Laetitia Casta on Facebook
- Laetitia Casta at the Internet Movie Database
- Laetitia Casta at the Fashion Model Directory