Lahore University of Management Sciences
|Lahore University of Management Sciences|
|Motto||العلم سلامي |
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Adil Najam|
|Location||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
The Lahore University of Management Sciences, or LUMS, is a residential research university located in Lahore, Pakistan. LUMS was established in 1984 by a group of industrialists and professionals belonging to some of Pakistan's private and public sector corporations. According to the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan, LUMS is the top ranked Pakistani university among institutions that offer degrees in Business Management and Information Technology in South Asia. In 2011 Pakistani intellectual Dr. Adil Najam was appointed the third Vice Chancellor of the university.
The university was granted a charter by the Government of Pakistan in March 1985. The LUMS Board of Trustees comprises members of the domestic business community, academics, and government representatives. The principal functions of the board are to set policy guidelines and to review the operations of the university. The Board of Governors, as the sponsor of LUMS, raises funds necessary for the university's operation and maintenance.
In 1986, a business school by the name of Lahore Business School was established for an MBA Programme. Later the school was renamed and is known as Suleman Dawood Business School. After the construction of current campus, LUMS started undergraduate programmes in Economics and Computer Sciences in 1994. In 1996, the School of Arts and Science was introduced to oversee the undergraduate programmes. Master Programmes in Economics, Computer Sciences and Computer Engineering were introduced, followed by doctoral programmes in Computer Sciences, Computer Engineering and Mathematics. A five-year BA-LL.B degree was also added in 2005.
LUMS established the School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Law (SHSSL) to oversee the Social Sciences, Economics and Law departments. The School of Sciences and Engineering, for the disciplines of Mathematics, Computer Science and Computer Engineering, was established in 2008.
Suleman Dawood School of Business 
The Suleman Dawood School of Business was the first school established at LUMS in 1986.
- Rausing Executive Development Centre:
Rausing Executive Development Centre (REDC) works under the aegis of Suleman Dawood School of Business (SDSB). REDC provides executive education services to the corporate community of the region. As an arm of SDSB, it provides short duration programmes in all areas of management to executives.
Almost all of REDC's core intellectual resources are borrowed from the SDSB including faculty, teaching material, case method of teaching and processes of ensuring quality.
School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Law 
The School of Humanities and Sciences and Law consists of the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Department of Economics and the Department of Law.
- Department of Humanities and Social Science (DHSS):
DHSS offers three undergraduate programmes leading to the BSc (Honours) degree in Anthropology/Sociology, Humanities and Political Science, as well as a combined programme in Politics and Economics in conjunction with the Economics Department. Started in 1999, the Department of Humanities and Social Science is home to disciplines in the Social Science and Humanities including Anthropology and Sociology, Literature, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology and History.
- Department of Economics:
The Economics Department offers a four-year undergraduate programme in Economics (first class graduated in 1997) as well as a master's programme in Economics (first class graduated in 2002). Economics is one of the most popular majors at the Uniudent body is enrolled in Economics either as a major, a joint degree programme or as a minor.
- Department of Law and Policy:
In the space of three years the law faculty has attracted graduates from Harvard, Oxford, Michigan, British Columbia and the London School of Economics. The full-time faculty includes Roger Normand, a former executive director of the Centre for Economic and Social Rights, New York. The department is in the process of developing academic and exchange linkages with universities in the region. With the induction of more faculty and the launch of an LL.M, the Law and Policy department will evolve into a School of Law & Policy in a few years it is hoped.
Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering 
The LUMS School of Science and Engineering (SSE) is a new school within LUMS with undergraduate programs in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Physics; and graduate programs in Computer Science and Mathematics. Additional engineering programs will be added in the future. Sohail Asif Qureshi, presently a Professor of Biology at this School, has been chosen as the new Dean, who assumed office from 1 November 2011 for a period of three years.
LUMS now has 170 full-time faculty. Faculty members include:
- Adil Najam, Professor and Vice Chancellor.
- Ali Cheema, Associate professor of Economics and head of department.
- Amer Iqbal, theoretical physicist, known for his work on string theory and supersymmetric gauge theories.
- Anjum Altaf, Dean of the School of Humanities, Social Science and Law, Professor of Economics.
- Arif Iqbal Rana, Professor of Suleman Dawood School of Business, operations management and supply chain management.
- Arif N. Butt, Dean of the Suleman Dawood School of Business, Professor of Human Resources, Negotiation and Organizational Behavior
- Arif Zaman, a statistician and mathematician, well known for his work on statistics and computer science.
- Farzad Rafi Khan, Professor of Organizational Politics, Alternative Management.
- Ihsan ul Haq, Professor of Advertisement and Promotions Management.
- Jamshed H. Khan, Professor of Management and Decision Analysis
- Rasul Baksh Rais, Professor Political Science.
- Shahryar Khan, Adjunct Faculty, International Relations
- S. Azmat Hassan, Adjunct Faculty, International Relations
- Sohail Qureshi, Dean of the School of Science and Engineering, Professor of Biology.
- Syed Mubashir Ali, Professor of Financial Management and Accounting
- Hammad Siddiqi, Professor of Economics.
Research at LUMS 
The Suleman Dawood School of Business has produced more than 600 case studies and has published one of Asia's leading case research journals. Case studies written at LUMS are now used in universities across the world, including MBA programs in other Pakistani universities. In 2011, a case study written by LUMS Professors Shazib Shaikh and Zahoor Hassan won the Ruth Greene Memorial Award of the North American Case Research Association (NACRA)for the best case written outside North America. The faculty at the LUMS School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Law (SHSSL) have produced 50 books in the last few years. The LUMS School of Science and Engineering has published in international journals in Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. In 2011 Professor Basit Yameen of the LUMS School of Science and Engineering won the Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship for his work on molecular biology.
LUMS Library 
The Lahore University of Management Sciences library provides services that include loans, online information searching, reference services, inter-library loan, document delivery, photocopying, viewing of audiovisual and microfilm materials, access to virtual collections and digital resources, CD-ROM and online searching. It has a collection of 350,000 volumes, 128,000 e-books and 35,000 e-Journals.
- Amnesty International - LUMS chapter
- Dramatics Society (DRAMALINE)
- Debates and Recitation Society at LUMS (DRUMS)
- ACM - LUMS Student Chapter
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - LUMS Student Chapter
- Adventure Society
- Alpha Society
- Art Club
- Astronomy Club
- Chess Club
- Community Service Society
- Computer Gaming Association
- Culture Society
- Daily Student (Journalism Society)
- Entrepreneurial Society
- Law and Politics Society
- LUMS Media Arts Society
- LUMS Model United Nations
- Music Society
- Photographic Society
- Religious Society
- Student Math Society
- Volunteer Society
- Pakistan Students Association International - LUMS Chapter
- Publications at LUMS
- Random Walk Economics Society
- Society for Promotion and Development of Engineering and Sciences
- Sports at LUMS
- The Humanities and Social Sciences Network at LUMS
- Managerial Society
Besides these societies, students-run Executive Clubs in management areas e.g. Marketing, Finance, Human Resource etc. have been introduced. The purpose of these executive clubs is to engage the student with extracurricular activities, providing a platform for the students to take part in organizing seminars and conferences. Other than this, LUMS also often hosts a number of conferences and events for IT companies. In February 2013, LUMS hosted Recruitment Drive for Tintash Pvt (Ltd).
Financial aid 
Financial assistance at LUMS is based on need and merit. Scholarships are typically awarded on merit or extremely high need. Usually a combination of financial aid comprising loan, tuition waiver and work compensation is offered to students. The university claims that it has given Rs. 1.2 billion in the form of scholarship or financial assistance to date.
Some forms of financial assistance available to LUMS students are as follows:
Merit scholarship 
This is given to the top students on the admission merit list at the time of admission. Merit Scholarship for undergraduate programs covers full tuition fee for the top three students and in the graduate program it covers partial to full tuition fee for the first academic year of the students.
LUMS scholarships 
Granted to students in all programs with excellent academic performance and genuine need for financial aid.
LUMS loan 
Granted to graduate programs with good academic performance and genuine need for financial aid, the LUMS loan scheme covers 20%-100% of the tuition fee component of the student. LUMS loans are interest free.
National Outreach Programme 
LUMS has launched a National Outreach Programme to reach out to bright students from underprivileged areas of Pakistan. Under this initiative, induction of selected candidates into the academic programs will be facilitated by preparation for the University’s admission criteria and then by provision of full financial assistance to those who qualify. Many students are admitted in LUMS on the basis of NOP. There are also a number of scholarships which are offered on need/academic achievement basis. A preliminary evaluation test is used to screen bright students from the underprivileged areas of Pakistan, which are then given training at LUMS for the common admission test.
Notable alumni 
||This section contains information of unclear or questionable importance or relevance to the article's subject matter. Please help improve this article by clarifying or removing superfluous information.|
Notable alumni include
- Hina Rabbani Khar - former Foreign Minister of Pakistan, Former Member of the National Assembly of Pakistan
- Shahid Mustafa – founder of Tameer Bank
- Sadiq Yousaf Almaz - brain behind Burraq Telecom
- Faisal Farid – General Manager (West Asia) Pepsi Cola International (Pvt) Ltd
- Naureen and Saadia Bukhari – launched The Saturday Post, a magazine that showcases contemporary Pakistan
- Nadia Malik – former top model of Pakistan
- Saulat Salahuddin – one of the first few women graduates, runs PRONTO that supplies corporate gifts
- Haseeb Ali - Only Pakistani in UBC's prestigious M.A. in economics
See also 
- [dead link]
- "Top Universities in Pakistan 2011". Top Study Links. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- HEC University Ranking[dead link]
- LUMS - HEC Rankings (alternative link)
- - General Information about LUMS (alternative link)
- [dead link]
- "Dr. Adil Najam appointed as the third VC of LUMS". LUMS Official Site. 23 June 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- "Citibank Pakistan". Citi.com. 11 October 1997. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "The Tribune – Magazine section – Saturday Extra". Tribuneindia.com. 24 March 2007. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Lahore University of Management Sciences and Art (LUMS)". Hss.lums.edu.pk. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Lums Sse | About Sse". Sse.lums.edu.pk. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Official website
- Lahore University of Management Sciences
- Lahore University of Management Sciences - Campus Radio
- LUMS Review - alumni news
- LUMS Alumni Association of North America