|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014)|
|This article is part of the series|
Lahori cuisine (Punjabi: لہوری کھانا, Urdu: لاہوری پکوان) refers to the food and cuisine of the city of Lahore in Punjab, Pakistan. It is a part of regional Punjabi cuisine. Lahore is a city with an extremely rich food culture. People from Lahore are famous all over the country for their love for food. The city offers a vast variety of options when it comes to gastronomy. In recent times, the style of food has achieved popularity in a number of different countries, because of its palatable and milder taste, mainly through the Pakistani diaspora.
The arrival of Islam within South Asia influenced the local cuisine to a great degree. Since Muslims are forbidden to eat pork or consume alcohol and the Halal dietary guidelines are strictly observed. Pakistanis focus on other areas of food such as beef, lamb, chicken, fish, and vegetables as well as traditional fruit and dairy. The influence of Central Asian, South Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine in Pakistani food is ubiquitous. Much of the food of Lahore is influenced by the local Punjabi and Mughlai cuisine. Along with traditional local food, western and foreign food are popular throughout the city and have often been fused with local recipes to create refined tastes; Pakistani Chinese food is largely available.
The following is a list of some foods of which Lahore is renowned for having unique tastes.
- Gosht karahi (chicken or mutton cooked with a spicy tomato-based gravy in a concave-shaped cooking vessel that resembles a wok) is a speciality of Lahore.
- Dal gosht (meat cooked with pulses)
- Murgh Cholay/Channay (chicken cooked with chickpeas)
- Murgh Musallam (chicken cooked with rice and dry fruits stuffed inside)
- Seekh kababs (minced meat rolls)
- Gol gappa
- Dahi bhallay (appetizers dipped in yoghurt)
- Chicken tikka (barbecue-style fried chicken pieces)
- Halwa Poori - a breakfast speciality of Lahore
- Paya (dish)
- Lahori Fried Fish
- Chargha (Lahori-style roast chicken)
The food industry is one of the largest and busiest in Lahore. Numerous food chains have sprung up catering to the demands of consumers. Gourmet Foods is the largest bakery and sweet chain in the city.
- "Best Restaurants Lahore - Lahore Eating Out". Retrieved 6 December 2014.