Lake Arrowhead, California
Location in San Bernardino County and the state of California
|• Total||18.951 sq mi (49.082 km2)|
|• Land||17.727 sq mi (45.913 km2)|
|• Water||1.224 sq mi (3.170 km2) 6.46%|
|Elevation||5,174 ft (1,577 m)|
|• Density||660/sq mi (250/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1652738|
Lake Arrowhead is an unincorporated community and a census-designated place (CDP) in the San Bernardino Mountains of San Bernardino County, California, within the San Bernardino National Forest, surrounding the Lake Arrowhead Reservoir. The population of the CDP was 12,424 at the 2010 census, up from 8,934 at the 2000 census. It was formerly called "Little Bear Lake," until around 1920, when a group from Los Angeles, the Arrowhead Lake Company, bought the lake and the land surrounding it, and changed its name to Arrowhead Lake.
Tourism is the primary economic generator for the area, contributing several million dollars per year to the county and providing 600 full-time and 700 part-time jobs for local residents. The area is host to over 4 million visitors a year. There are 400 guestrooms in hotels, motels and bed and breakfasts as well as 500 cabins and condos, which are rented on a short-term basis. The city is home to the Arrowhead Country Club and Golf Course. The area is also popular for business conferences.
As a scenic mountain resort in the San Bernardino Mountains, Lake Arrowhead's economy is almost completely supported by tourism, both by casual vacationers and part-time residents. The primary tourism industries include real estate, lodging, dining, recreation, and retail sales.
While Lake Arrowhead has no official town center, the Lake Arrowhead Village serves as the main commercial area for both locals and tourists and includes a number of factory outlets, boutiques, restaurants, post office and a supermarket. Lake Arrowhead Village also hosts events all year long including a free Summer Concert Series, the county's largest free Oktoberfest and many other themed events such as car shows, dog shows, the Tour de Lake Arrowhead, Home Expo, and the popular Antique Wooden Boat Show.
The University of California, Los Angeles operates the nearby UCLA Conference Center, a full-service conference facility with lodging and meeting space.
Logging in the San Bernardino Mountains was once done on a large scale, with the Brookings Lumber Company operation one of the largest. It operated on 8,000 acres (32 km2) between Fredalba and Hunsaker Flats (present-day Running Springs), between 1899 and 1912. It built a logging railroad to bring logs to the mill at Fredalba. The Shay locomotives had to be disassembled and hauled by wagon up the mountain, since the railroad operated in the high country but did not connect to other railroads in lowlands. Finished lumber was hauled by wagon down the steep grades to the Molino Box Factory in Highland, CA.
Lake Arrowhead is located in the Inland Empire region of Southern California, about 20–30 minutes north of San Bernardino. According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS) Lake Arrowhead is located at . This is near the intersection of State Routes 173 and 189 near the economic center of the community. According to the United States Census Bureau Lake Arrowhead is located at (34.256290, -117.191326). This is near the geographic center of the CDP. The CDP has a total area of 19.0 square miles (49.1 km²). 17.7 square miles (45.9 km²) of it is land and 1.2 square miles (3.2 km²) of it (6.46%) is water.
Lake Arrowhead is a private lake governed by the Arrowhead Lake Association, and is for restricted use by Lake Arrowhead property owners.
- Lake size: 782 acres (3.16 km2) (capacity)
- Shoreline: 14 miles (23 km)
- Elevation: 5108 (capacity)
- Maximum depth: 185 feet (56 m)
- Lake width: 1.5 miles (2.4 km)
- Lake length: 2.2 miles
Outside of Lake Arrowhead Village there are several residential communities, which include Cedar Glen, Blue Jay, Rimforest, Skyforest, Crest Park, Hook Creek Tract, Deer Lodge Park, and Agua Fria. There are four elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school in the area. Seven miles north of Lake Arrowhead is the Pacific Crest Trail.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Lake Arrowhead had a population of 12,424. The population density was 655.6 people per square mile (253.1/km²). The racial makeup of Lake Arrowhead was 10,729 (86.4%) White (73.0% Non-Hispanic White), 95 (0.8%) African American, 93 (0.7%) Native American, 152 (1.2%) Asian, 33 (0.3%) Pacific Islander, 847 (6.8%) from other races, and 475 (3.8%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2,709 persons (21.8%).
The Census reported that 12,389 people (99.7% of the population) lived in households, 16 (0.1%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 19 (0.2%) were institutionalized.
There were 4,672 households, out of which 1,563 (33.5%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 2,746 (58.8%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 413 (8.8%) had a female householder with no husband present, 258 (5.5%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 217 (4.6%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 64 (1.4%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 984 households (21.1%) were made up of individuals and 358 (7.7%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65. There were 3,417 families (73.1% of all households); the average family size was 3.07.
The population was spread out with 3,043 people (24.5%) under the age of 18, 968 people (7.8%) aged 18 to 24, 2,571 people (20.7%) aged 25 to 44, 4,104 people (33.0%) aged 45 to 64, and 1,738 people (14.0%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43.0 years. For every 100 females there were 103.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.4 males.
There were 11,875 housing units at an average density of 626.6 per square mile (241.9/km²), of which 3,428 (73.4%) were owner-occupied, and 1,244 (26.6%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 7.9%; the rental vacancy rate was 12.4%. 8,647 people (69.6% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 3,742 people (30.1%) lived in rental housing units.
According to the 2010 United States Census, Lake Arrowhead had a median household income of $57,672, with 11.2% of the population living below the federal poverty line. 
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,934 people, 3,243 households, and 2,445 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 780.4 inhabitants per square mile (301.3/km²). There were 8,857 housing units at an average density of 773.7 per square mile (298.7/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 90.5% White, 0.6% African American, 0.9% Native American, 1.0% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 3.9% from other races, and 3.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 13.6% of the population.
There were 3,243 households, of which 37.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.6% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.6% were non-families. 18.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.8 and the average family size was 3.2.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 28.9% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 24.5% from 25 to 44, 28.8% from 45 to 64, and 11.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 100.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $60,826, and the median income for a family was $65,183. Males had a median income of $50,016 versus $35,526 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $28,176. About 7.3% of families and 9.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.5% of those under age 18 and 6.2% of those age 65 or over.
In the state legislature Lake Arrowhead is located in the 31st Senate District, represented by Robert Dutton (R), and in the 33rd Assembly District, represented by Tim Donnelly (R). Nationally, Lake Arrowhead is located in California's 41st congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of R+9 and is represented in the House by Paul Cook of the 8th Congressional district (R). Lake Arrowhead is represented in the Senate by Barbara Boxer (D) and Dianne Feinstein (D).
Climate and weather
The Lake Arrowhead Community has a unique climate for Southern California with four distinct seasons which support an array of outdoor recreational activity and year round beauty. The area receives about 300 annual days of sunshine per year.
|Climate data for Lake Arrowhead, CA|
|Average high °F (°C)||44
|Average low °F (°C)||30
|Precipitation inches (mm)||8.20
Arts and sciences
The Lake Arrowhead Communities have numerous cultural events and organizations. The Arrowhead Arts Association is a non-profit corporation dedicated to cultural enrichment sponsoring quality musical performances and providing musical education and scholarships for local youth from preschool through college. The Mountain Skies Astronomical Society is also located there.
- U.S. Census
- Barnhill, John, "Logging No Easy Task," Trainboard Web site (http://www.nps.gov/gosp/photosmultimedia/photogallery.htm) Retrieved 6-19-11.
- "Forests of Inland Southern California," San Bernardino County Museum Web site (http://www.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/museum/exhibits/ff%20history.pdf) Retrieved 6-19-11
- "Lima Machine Works," photo of Brookings Lumber Co. locomotive (http://www.shaylocomotives.com/data/lima/sn-154.htm) Retrieved 6-19-11.
- "Logging the San Bernardino Mountains," Big Bear History Web site (http://www.bigbear.us/logging.html) Retrieved 6-19-11.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Listing of Dams". California Department of Water Resources, Division of Dam Safety. Archived from the original on 2007-04-30. Retrieved 2007-02-21.
- "Rim of the World Unified School District". 2011. Last accessed 28 Mar 2011.
- http://www.santasvillage.net/santas.village.skyforest.html www.santasvillage. Skyforest. access date: 5/21/2010
- http://www.santasvillage.net/santas.village.history.html www.santasvillage. Santas Village History. access date: 5/21/2010
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0639444.html. Missing or empty
- http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0639444.html. Missing or empty
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Map Tool Bar". Retrieved 2010-01-30.
- "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- "Senators of the 111th Congress". senate.gov. 30 Jan 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-30.
- "Average Weather for Lake Arrowhead, CA - Temperature and Precipitation". The Weather Channel. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
Official website for Lake Arrowhead is http://www.lakearrowhead.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lake Arrowhead, California.|