Lake County, South Dakota
|Lake County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|• Total||575 sq mi (1,489 km2)|
|• Land||563 sq mi (1,459 km2)|
|• Water||12 sq mi (31 km2), 2.06%|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
- Buffalo Slough
- Brandt Lake
- Davis Slough
- Gilman Lake
- Green Lake
- Lake Badus
- Lake Herman
- Lake Madison
- Long Lake
- Mud Lake
- Pelican Lake
- Round Lake
- Brookings County, South Dakota - northeast
- Moody County, South Dakota - east
- Minnehaha County, South Dakota - southeast
- McCook County, South Dakota - southwest
- Miner County, South Dakota - west
- Kingsbury County, South Dakota - northwest
As of the census of 2000, there were 11,276 people, 4,372 households, and 2,828 families residing in the county. The population density was 20 people per square mile (8/km²). There were 5,282 housing units at an average density of 9 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.76% White, 0.20% Black or African American, 0.66% Native American, 0.54% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.33% from other races, and 0.51% from two or more races. 0.79% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 4,372 households out of which 29.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.90% were married couples living together, 5.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.30% were non-families. 29.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the county, the population was spread out with 23.70% under the age of 18, 15.00% from 18 to 24, 23.40% from 25 to 44, 21.40% from 45 to 64, and 16.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 99.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $34,087, and the median income for a family was $43,750. Males had a median income of $28,994 versus $21,084 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,446. About 5.40% of families and 9.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.60% of those under age 18 and 8.60% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Chester (Population:261)
- Madison (Population:6,474)
- Nunda (Population:43)
- Ramona (Population:174)
- Wentworth (Population:171)
The county is divided into sixteen townships: Badus, Chester, Clarno, Concord, Farmington, Franklin, Herman, Lake View, Le Roy, Nunda, Orland, Rutland, Summit, Wayne, Wentworth, Winfred.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
||Kingsbury County||Brookings County|
|Miner County||Moody County|
|McCook County||Minnehaha County|