Lake George, Michigan
Lake George is an unincorporated community in Lincoln Township, Clare County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The town is at the northern end of Lake George at . The Lake George ZIP code 48633 provides P.O. Box service to an area on the northern side of Lake George. In the 2000 census, the 48633 ZIP Code Tabulation Area had a population of 65.
Lake George began as a lumber settlement founded by George Lake and named for him. It was a station on the Toledo, Ann Arbor and North Michigan Railway and a post office was established on December 8, 1899 with Edward J. Roys as the first postmaster.
The area is mostly wooded land with a variety of wildlife, including white-tail deer, wild turkey, pheasant, and other game animals. Fishing is very popular in the area with numerous lakes (10 within a 10 mile radius) containing largemouth bass, perch, bluegill, sunfish, pike, musky, bullhead catfish, and rock bass.
The population of the area is somewhat mixed; this includes the original pioneer families, and the tourists who stay there during the summer season in lodges and rented cabins. There are very few jobs in the area, therefore workers commute to places as far as the Midland area.
The town has a large pub (Swiss Inn more commonly known as the Swizzle), a restaurant and a few small stores.
The old train depot, now a party store, is the oldest building in town; it is said that the depot was the only building left standing after two trains crashed on July 19, 1925 (http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Wrecks/ICCReports/AARR-LakeGeorgeMI-1925.pdf).
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Lake George, Michigan
- 48633 5-Digit ZCTA, 486 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- Geographic Area: 48633 5-Digit ZCTA, Data Set: Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF 1) 100-Percent Data, DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2000
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- (http://clarecountychamber.com Clare County Chamber of Commerce
- (http://clarecounty.com Clare County Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Lake George Area History Genealogy Site
- Lake George Local Information Site
- Lake George Boosters Club
|This Michigan state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|