Lake Hamilton High School
|Lake Hamilton High School|
|280 Wolf Street
Pearcy, Arkansas 71964
|School type||Public comprehensive|
|School district||Lake Hamilton School District|
|NCES School ID||050861000575|
|Classes||No less than 38|
|Education system||ADE Smart Core curriculum|
|Classes offered||Regular, Career Focus, Advanced Placement|
|Team name||Lake Hamilton Wolves|
|USNWR ranking||Unranked (2012)|
Lake Hamilton High School is a public secondary school for grades 10 through 12 located in Pearcy, Arkansas located near Lake Hamilton and Lake Catherine. LHHS supports more than 900 students with more than 50 educators.
LHHS is accredited by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) and has been accredited by AdvancED since 2011. Students compete a program of study that completes with the ADE Smart Core curriculum. Lake Hamilton offers a variety of educational programs, including English as a Second Language (ESL), Advanced Placement (AP), character and drug education programs, homeless child and youth programs, career and technical education, and special needs and special education classes.
Senior high students may take advantage of the accelerated classes in the core content areas which provide challenging curricular materials to meet their needs. In addition, students may choose Pre-AP and Advanced Placement classes in the University Studies Program, which provide college level material and college credit by examination. Concurrent credit in academic classes is also available through National Park Community College.
Lake Hamilton High School has consistently ranked amongst the top high schools in the state as evaluated by the Challenge Index presented by the Washington Post. The school's state ranking is No. 18 (2011), No. 33 (2012), and No. 22 (2013) with index scores of 1.473, 1.591 and 1.966, respectively.
Dear old LH High we salute thee
and we give thee all of our praise.
Unto thee we will sing our Alma Mater,
until its dying day.
We will cheer her on forever.
Oh let our voices ring true.
May our hearts be ever loyal,
Dear old LH High to you!
The Lake Hamilton mascot for academic and athletic teams in the Wolves with maroon and gold serving as the school colors.
Clubs and traditions
Lake Hamilton junior and senior high school students are involved in a variety of extracurricular activities, including: MathCounts, Governor's Quiz Bowl, National Geography Bee, Culture Fair, History Day, AEGIS Programs, Computer Workshops, Duke University Talent Identification Program (TIP), the Arkansas Bar Association Mock Trial Competition and the Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival.
The Lake Hamilton Band Program is award-winning on a consistent basis. The high school marching band is annually successful in regional and statewide marching contests. Most recently they were crowned Grand Champions of the 2007 Renegade Review held at Union HS in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and at the Northwest Arkansas Invitational in Siloam Springs, Arkansas. They also won first place at Championship at the Rock in 2011, 2012, and 2013. Band directors are Jon Shultz, Bryan Field, Jarrett Tedder, and Cheri Wright.
The Lake Hamilton FFA Chapter has a very strong tradition. Melvin Daniel, who taught at Lake Hamilton for 32 years, is known for building the chapter to what it is today. The Lake Hamilton FFA does very well in livestock showing at county and state fairs, as well as career development events, also called judging contests. In November 2007, the Poultry judging team represented Arkansas at the National FFA Poultry Contest and finished third, with three team members winning scholarships. Other recent past state champions include Prepared Public Speaking in 2009, Nursery/Landscape in 2005, Floriculture in 1998 and 2004, Livestock in 2003, Ag Mechanics in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2002, Poultry in 1999 and 2001, and Farm Business in 2000. The chapter had seven Arkansas FFA State Officers from 2001 until 2010. FFA Advisors are Jason Braziel and Alex Dykes.
The Wolves compete in the state's 6A classification administered by the Arkansas Activities Association. Interscholastic sporting activities include football, volleyball, golf (boys/girls), bowling (boys/girls), cross country (boys/girls), basketball, cheer, swimming (boys/girls), soccer (boys/girls), baseball, softball and track and field (boys/girls).
- Head Coach: Jerry Clay
- Other Coaches: Bob Macintosh, Stan Cooper, Howard Leatherwood, Brian Bales, and John Welch.
- The Wolves football team won a state football championship in 1992.
- Head Coach: Jerry Clay
- Head Coach: Karen Smith
- The Lady Wolves volleyball team captured a state volleyball championship in 2007.
- Head Coach: John Utley
- Boys Coach: Jamie Bridges
- Girls Coach: Brandy Higginbotham
- Track and Cross Country
- Head Coach: Karl Koonce – a 2009 National Coach of the Year award recipient by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Coaches Association.
- The boys track team won three consecutive state track and field championships (2008, 2009, 2010).
- The boys cross country team won four consecutive state cross country championships (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009).
- The girls track team won state track and field championships with titles in 2007 and 2011.
- The girls cross country team are 7-time state champions with titles in 1985–87, 1990, 2006, 2011–12.
- Head Coach: Stan Cooper
- The Lady Wolves tennis team won the 6A class state tennis championship in 2012.
- Head Coach: Gary Curtis
- Head Coach: Amy Teague
- Assistant Coach: Karen Smith
- The Lady Wolves fastpitch softball team are 3-time state softball champions with titles in 2007, 2009 and 2012.
- Head Coach: Amy Teague
- Josh Brewer, XC, Track and Field, State Record Holder - Indoor 3200, NIKE All-American, USATF Junior All-American, 3-time State Champion-XC, Outdoor Track and Field, Wendy's High Heisman National Finalist, College XC All-East Team Duke University, 2009 NCAA Cross Country Nationals 111th overall
- Bruce Cozart, member of the Arkansas House of Representatives from District 24 in Garland County; former member of the LHHS School Board
- Grant Garrett, Football Player at the University of Arkansas
- Kalin Olson, Playboy playmate (August 1997 centerfold)
- Morry Sanders, State Pole Vault Record Holder 16'8" Arkansas State University
- Nancy Ury, a TVG Analyst (Class of 1993)
- Trenton Lee Stewart, Author of The Mysterious Benedict Society
- Stephanie Foreman, Pole Vaulting, 4-time State 5A Indoor Champ and record (13'1.5"), 2-time State 6A Outdoor Champion and over-all record (13'6.25"), MOC Champion '08, 3-time NIKE All-American
- Adam L. Brown, United States Navy SEAL killed in action on March 17, 2010 in Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Lake Hamilton High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "Institution Summary, Lake Hamilton High School". AdvancED. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- Mathews, Jay. "America's Most Challenging High Schools, Lake Hamilton". Washington Post. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "School Profile, Lake Hamilton High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "NFHS Honors Lake Hamilton’s Koonce with National Award". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved April 5, 2013.