Location in Dallas
|• Total||14.8 sq mi (38.3 km2)|
|• Land||14.8 sq mi (38.3 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||571 ft (174 m)|
|• Density||5,680.9/sq mi (2,201.9/km2)|
|ZIP codes||75231, 75238, 75243|
|Area code(s)||214, 469, 972|
Lake Highlands is an area in Dallas, Texas (USA). It is located in the northeast portion of the city, and is sometimes considered to be a part of, or connected to, East Dallas and/or North Dallas. It is not an official subdivision and has no official boundaries, however the Dallas Morning News refers to City Council District 10 as "The Lake Highlands District." The area commonly referred to as Lake Highlands lies north of Northwest Highway and White Rock Creek, east of White Rock Creek or Central Expressway and to the border of Richardson, and Garland on the North and East. Lake Highlands includes portions of Dallas north of IH-635.
The following neighborhoods are generally considered part of or closely connected with Lake Highlands; however, some of them may not be located entirely within Lake Highlands or may be considered parts of Lake Highlands by some and not others. Some are official subdivisions and some have been named by neighborhood associations. Some neighborhoods lack well defined boundaries and may overlap. Additionally, some areas within Lake Highlands, especially commercial and apartment areas, may not be within any of the listed neighborhoods.
- Abrams Place
- Alexander's Village
- Bill Browne's Farm
- Boundbrook Oaks Estates
- Candlewood Creek
- Caribbean Estates
- Chimney Hill
- Copperfield Community
- Country Forest
- Forest Highlands
- Forest Meadow
- Glen Oaks
- Hamilton Park
- Highlands West
- Highland Meadows
- High Oaks Addition
- Jackson Meadow
- L Streets
- Lake Highlands Estates
- Lake Highlands North
- Lake Highlands Square
- Lake Highlands Village West
- Lake Ridge Estates
- Lovely Place Commons
- Merriman Park/University Manor
- Merriman Park Estates
- Merriman Park North
- Moss Farm
- Moss Meadows
- Northwood Heights
- Oak Highlands
- Oak Tree Village
- Pebble Creek
- Richland Park Estates
- Rolling Trails
- Royal Highlands
- Royal Highlands Village
- Royal Lane Village
- Stults Road
- Town Creek
- Walnut Creek Estates
- Whispering Hills
- White Rock Valley
- Woodlands on the Creek
- University Terrace
- Urban Reserve
Government and infrastructure
Most of the Lake Highlands area is not within the Dallas Independent School District; it is served by the Richardson Independent School District. The RISD portion of Lake Highlands is served by the following schools:
- Elementary schools
- Aikin Elementary School
- Audelia Creek Elementary School
- Hamilton Park Pacesetter Elementary School
- Forestridge Elementary School
- Lake Highlands Elementary School
- LHE has been rated 'exemplary' three of the last 4 years.
- In 2011, what started as a small group of parents and LHE’s principal, Kim Sullivan, wanting to better the school playground, has reached beyond the boundaries of any attendance zone. The community has really responded to LHE Playground Project, a non-profit organization who has provided for several new playground structures in just two years.
- Merriman Park Elementary School
- Moss Haven Elementary School
- Northlake Elementary School
- Skyview Elementary School
- Stults Road Elementary School
- Thurgood Marshall Elementary School
- Wallace Elementary School
- White Rock Elementary School
- Middle schools
- Forest Meadow Junior High School
- Lake Highlands Junior High School
- Liberty Junior High School
- High schools
- Richland College, part of the Dallas County Community College District, is located within Lake Highlands
Lake Highlands is served mainly by the Audelia Road Branch of the Dallas Public Library. Built on its current site in 1971, the building was renovated and expanded in 2004.
Abrams Road, Forest Lane, Greenville Avenue, Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway, Northwest Highway, Plano Road, Royal Lane, and Walnut Hill Lane run through the Lake Highlands area. Central Expressway also runs near the area.
- DART: Blue Line listed south to north
Notable Lake Highlanders
- Mark Salling - actor on the television show Glee
- C.B. Hudson - lead guitarist for the rock band Blue October
- Chris Harrison - Host of the TV show "The Bachelor"
- Dan Beebe - former commissioner of the Big 12 Conference
- Morgan Fairchild - Film and Television Actor
- Annie Clark - singer song writer who performs as St. Vincent
"Lake Highlands Chamber of Commerce is working to develop and grow business in LH. They can be found on Facebook under Lake Highlands Chamber and on LinkedIn under LH Community (part of the LHCC).
"Lake Highlands Advocate Magazine" is a local community magazine and daily news blog.
"Lake Highlands Today" is a local community website.
The Dallas Morning News is the local citywide newspaper.
Lake Highlands People was a local community newspaper, not currently being published.
The Lake Highlands edition of Black White Read online community newspapers was a local community website, not currently being published.
- City of Dallas - Council District 10 (PDF). Retrieved 5 December 2006.
- "Editorial: We recommend Jerry Allen in Dallas City Council District 10." The Dallas Morning News. 2011-04-19. Retrieved on 2011-04-23 from <http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20110419-editorial-we-recommend-jerry-allen-in-dallas-city-council-district-10.ece>
- ST. JAMES, JANET;VEGA, CYNTHIA ;OWENS, MARJORIE . Targeted areas expanded in Dallas County aerial spraying. WFAA.com . 2012-08-16. URL:http://www.wfaa.com/news/health/Injunction-filed-to-stop-aerial-spraying-in-Dallas-County-166420376.html. Accessed: 2012-08-16. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/69yIVKVto)
- "Post Office Location - LAKE HIGHLANDS." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on May 16, 2010.
- The Dallas Morning News - DART green-lights 40 miles of new rail. Originally published 25 October 2006. Retrieved 5 November 2006.
Where is Lake Highlands, Texas? Lake Highlands Advocate Magazine 2011