Aerial view of Lavon Dam and Lake
|Location||Collin County, Texas|
|Primary inflows||East Fork of the Trinity River|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||21,400 acres (87 km2)|
|Max. depth||38 ft (12 m)|
|Shore length1||83 mi (134 km)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Lavon Lake is a fresh water impoundment located in Collin County, Texas on the East Fork of the Trinity River near Wylie off of State Highway 78. It is commonly called Lake Lavon for commercial and recreational purposes but Lavon Lake is its official name according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. It was originally called Lavon Reservoir.
- Length: 9,540 feet (2,908 m)
- Maximum Depth: 38 ft
- Surface Area: 21,400 acres (87 km2)
- Conversion storage capacity: 275,000 acre feet (339,000,000 m3)
- Conservation Pool Elevation: 492 feet (150.0 m) msl
- Spillway level is 503.5 feet (153.5 m)
- Shoreline Length: 121 miles (195 km)
- Wildlife Management Area: 6,400 acres
- Date Impounded: September 14, 1953
- Owned by: United States Government (The North Texas Municipal Water District, the local cooperative agency, has rights to 100,000 acre feet (120,000,000 m3) of water in the conservation pool of the lake)
- Operated by: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
The lake serves as water source for various north Texas cities.
Started in 1948 and completed in 1953 the Lavon Dam was created to impound the upstream East Fork of the Trinity River, many of its tributaries and the areas immediately surrounding them. The reservoir was primarily designed for preventing seasonal flooding of rich bottomland in southeastern Collin County and water storage. Its construction also stimulated land development along the shores of the lake and recreational use of the water and adjacent land areas.
- "Lavon Lake". United States Army Corps of Engineers. 19 Oct 2006. Retrieved 30 Mar 2013.
- "Lake Information". United States Army Corps of Engineers. 12 Feb 2008. Retrieved 29 Mar 2013.
- "Lavon Lake". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved 28 Mar 2013.
- "Lake Lavon Fishing". Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. 4 Dec 2012. Retrieved 30 Mar 2013.