Lake Mary, Florida
|Lake Mary, Florida|
|Seminole County and the state of Florida|
|• Mayor||David Mealor|
|• City Manager||Jackie Sova|
|• City||9.7 sq mi (25 km2)|
|• Land||8.6 sq mi (22.3 km2)|
|• Water||1.1 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|Elevation||62 ft (18.9 m)|
|• Density||1,424.9/sq mi (619.8/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||32746, 32795|
|GNIS feature ID||0285263|
Lake Mary is a suburban city in Seminole County, Florida, United States. The population was 13,822 at the 2010 census. Lake Mary is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Rated by Money magazine as the #4 best place to live in America in the August 2007 issue.
Lake Mary is located at .(28.757622, -81.329038)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 9.7 square miles (25 km2). 8.6 square miles (22 km2) of it is land and 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2) of it (10.96%) is water.
As of the 2000 census, there were 11,458 people, 4,199 households, and 3,271 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,330.8 inhabitants per square mile (513.8/km²). There were 4,351 housing units at an average density of 505.4 per square mile (195.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 89.33% White, 3.60% African American, 0.24% Native American, 3.83% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 1.47% from other races, and 1.42% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.22% of the population.
There were 4,199 households out of which 38.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.8% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.1% were non-families. 16.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.7% under the age of 18, 5.4% from 18 to 24, 31.9% from 25 to 44, 25.9% from 45 to 64, and 10.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 96.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $83,921, and the median income for a family was $95,609. Males had a median income of $57,132 versus $32,439 for females. The per capita income for the city was $31,094. 2.9% of the population and 2.5% of families were below the poverty line. 1.8% of those under the age of 18 and 3.6% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.
Seminole County Public Schools operates public schools.
- Elementary Schools
- Middle Schools
- High Schools
Business and industry
Scholastic Book Fairs, the book fair division of Scholastic Corporation, is headquartered in Lake Mary. In addition, the Orlando TV stations WTGL as well as WOFL and sister station WRBW (by way of Fox Television Stations) have studios located in Lake Mary. All of these are visible along Interstate 4. Prior to Emmis Communications selling WKCF to Hearst-Argyle (now Hearst Television), WKCF's studios were located in the studios that is now the studios of WTGL, before moving with now-sister station WESH in Winter Park. HeadlineSurfer.com, the award-winning 24/7 internet newspaper serving Central Florida, is located in Lake Mary.
According to the City's 2011 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|3||The Bank of New York Mellon||650|
|6||Wells Fargo Home Mortgage||571|
Notable natives and residents
||This list of "famous" or "notable" persons has no clear inclusion or exclusion criteria. Please help to define clear inclusion criteria and edit the list to contain only subjects that fit those criteria. (February 2013)|
- Lee Corso, sports broadcaster and football analyst for ESPN.
- Chris DiMarco, Professional Golfer in PGA.
- Gigi Fernández, professional Puerto Rican tennis player who has played at Wimbledon, Olympics and the U.S. Open
- Dwight Howard, Professional Basketball Player with the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jesse Palmer, University of Florida Quarterback, NY Giants Quarterback, Bachelor TV show contestant.
- Keith Rivers, All-American linebacker for USC Trojans, 2004 - 2007. Currently a linebacker for the New York Giants in the NFL.
- Stan Van Gundy, Former head coach of the Orlando Magic (2007-2012)
- Rickie Weeks, Professional Baseball Player for The Milwaukee Brewers.
- George Zimmerman
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Ashford, Kate; Bartz, Andrea; Cox, Jeff; Fitch, Asa; Gandel, Stephen; Hyatt, Josh; Kelley, Rob; Knight, Kathleen et al. "Best Places to Live: Top 100, Number 4". CNN. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "City of Lake Mary CAFR". Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Gigi applauds money but rules what's missed from the Orlando Sentinel July 24, 2007
- Official site
- Lake Mary Life Magazine
- Seminole County Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Lake Mary - Heathrow Festival of the Arts
- Lake Mary - Local Lodging, Real Estate, Restaurants, Jobs, Weather
- Lake Mary Blog - Local Real Estate, Businesses, Restaurants, Events