Lake Metigoshe State Park
|Lake Metigoshe State Park|
|North Dakota State Park|
|Elevation||2,152 ft (656 m) |
|Area||1,551 acres (628 ha)|
|Management||North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department|
|Website: Lake Metigoshe State Park|
Lake Metigoshe State Park is a North Dakota state park located on the shores of Lake Metigoshe in the Turtle Mountains, 14 miles northeast of Bottineau, along the US/Canadian border. The park lies adjacent to the southwest corner of the much larger Turtle Mountain Provincial Park in Manitoba. A small portion of the lake extends northward into the Rural Municipality of Winchester but is not part of either park.
The name Lake Metigoshe is derived from the Ojibwe phrase mitigoshi-waashegami-zaaga'igan meaning "clearwater lake of scrub-oaks." The area was also once home to the Blackfoot, Hidatsa, and Assiniboine peoples.
Activities and amenities
In the summer, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, water-skiing, and other water sports are popular. Lake Metigoshe has northern pike, walleye, and perch for fishing. There are modern and primitive camping areas as well as picnicking areas.
In the winter, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, skating, sledding, and ice fishing are popular.
The park's Turtle Mountain Outdoor Learning Center offers ecology, conservation, and outdoor recreation programs.
The Club de Skinautique is a water-skiing club that practices and performs on Lake Metigoshe. The "Skinautiques," as the club is informally called, have been performing water skiing shows every summer since 1958.
- "Lake Metigoshe State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Lake Metigoshe State Park". North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- "Lake Metigoshe State Park: History". North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- "Outdoor Learning Centers". North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- "About Us". Club de Skinautique. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Lake Metigoshe State Park North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department
- Lake Metigoshe State Park Map North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department