|Type||Meromictic lake, wetland|
|Primary inflows||Lake Ağgöl|
|Primary outflows||Kura River|
|Catchment area||Endorheic basin|
|Max. length||22 km (14 mi)|
|Max. width||3 km (1.9 mi)|
|Surface area||65.7 km2 (25.4 sq mi)|
|Average depth||22 m (72 ft)|
|Max. depth||6 km (3.7 mi)|
|Water volume||60 million m3|
|Shore length1||0.9 m (2 ft 11 in)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Sarysu lake stretches along the Kura River from Imishli Rayon southeast to Sabirabad Rayon reaching the total length of 22 km (14 mi). It is one of the four lakes present in the area and is one of the largest lakes in the country. The water in the lake is nonsaline. The lake inflows from Lake Ağgöl through a canal, underground waters and rain and outflows to Kura River. The outflow to Kura is regulated by a water-releasing station in Muradbəyli.
The lake is separated from the residential areas in the north by a highway which prevents it from potential pollution. The southern part of the lake has been polluted from waters of onshore oil production activities in the past.
The shoreline of Sarysu is mainly made up from wetlands and swamps. The overall area is 65.7 km2 (25.4 sq mi). The approximate volume of water in the lake is 60 million m3. Average depth is 1–3 meters, at the shoreline 0.1-0.9 meters. The increases of volume of water is mainly observed in spring and fall seasons. During winter season, the average ice-covering period is 11 days. The lake is rich with common carp and vobla. Favorable conditions at the lake attract 300-350 thousand migrating birds during the winter. Mineralization at Sarysu is high.
Overflowing and floods
The river sometimes overflows and floods. In 1976, overflowing of Kura River caused Sarysu to increase in size by 3-5 times. In May 2010, major flooding struck the area. Heavy rains caused the volume level of Kura river increase by 12 cm and level of Sarysu by 20 cm. On 24 May 2010, Muradbeyli village, surrounded by Sarysu on the south and Kura River on the north, completely flooded collapsing the dam. Muradbəyli and three other villages Qasımbəyli, Əsgərbəyli, Axtaçı of Sabirabad Rayon as well as Nərimankənd, Musalı, Dəllər and Novruzlu of Saatly Rayon were evacuated.
- Azərbaycanın çayları, gölləri və su anbarları. (Rivers, lakes and reservoirs of Azerbaijan.) (Azerbaijani)
- Səth sularının çirklənmə vəziyyəti: Sarısu gölü
- Ministry of Ecology of Azerbaijan
- 18 May 2010 "Sarısu gölündə suyun səviyyəsi dünəndən bu günə kimi 20 santimetr qalxıb" Retrieved on 5 October 2010
- 24 May 2010; APA Sarısu gölü Sabirabad rayonunun Muradbəyli kəndi istiqamətindən bəndi yarıb Retrieved on 7 October 2010
- 24 May 2010; ANS Sarısu gölü ətrafındakı 8 kənd boşaldılır Retrieved on 7 October 2010
- 24 May 2010; Trend News Azərbaycanın İmişli, Sabirabad və Saatlı rayonları ərazisindəki Sarısu gölü ətrafındakı kəndlərin əhalisi köçürülüb - FHN Retrieved on 7 October 2010
- NASA-Earth Observatory: Flooding in Azerbaijan
- Water resources of Azerbaijan
- BirdLife International