Lake View High School (Chicago)
|Lake View High School|
Ad astra per aspera
"To the stars through difficulties"
|4015 N. Ashland Avenue.
Chicago, Illinois, 60613
|School type||Public Secondary|
1886 (current location)
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Scott M. Grens, M.Ed.|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Yearbook||Red & White|
Lake View High School is a public 4-year high school located in the Lake View neighborhood on the north side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. It is a part of the Chicago Public Schools district. While the current building opened in 1886, the school itself opened in 1874, dating to a time when the Lake View community was not a part of the City of Chicago. Lake View became a part of Chicago in 1889. The school is the oldest operating public secondary school in the state of Illinois.
Lake View High School earned a bronze medal in the U.S. News/School Matters Best High School rankings. The school offers approximately 20 clubs and activities for students. Among those which are chapters or branches of nationally notable organizations are National Honor Society and Key Club.
Lake View competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL), and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). Teams are stylized as the Wildcats. The boys track & field team finished second at the first IHSA State Meet in 1892–93, and its boys soccer team finished fourth in the IHSA State Tournament in 2008–09.
- Edgar Bergen was a ventriloquist and actor, father of actress Candice Bergen
- Barbara Bedford, actress
- Tom Bosley was a Tony Award winning actor, best known for his work on television (Happy Days, Father Dowling Mysteries).
- Myron Hunt, architect
- Mark LaValle, Olympic weightlifter
- Vince Lawrence is a platinum award winning dance music producer, businessman and one of the leading innovators of House Music 
- Abe Saperstein was the founder, owner, and coach of the Harlem Globetrotters.
- Gloria Swanson was a Golden Globe award winning actress, perhaps best remembered for her role as Norma Desmond in the film Sunset Boulevard.
- Richard Thieme (class of 1961), priest, consultant, and author
- Sidney R. Yates was a U. S. Representative (1949–63, 65–99) representing Illinois' 9th congressional district.
- Lake View High School History. Retrieved on 2008-05-27.
- "High School Code Search". College Board. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- Lake View. cps.edu. Retrieved on August 26, 2011.
- Lake View. cps.edu. Retrieved on October 6, 2013.
- "Chicago (Lake View)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 8 January 2019. Retrieved 18 January 2010. Check date values in:
- "Institution Summary for Lake View High School". AdvacedED profile. North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- "Clubs". directory. Lake View High School. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- HR0085 91st General Assembly. Illinois General Assembly. Retrieved on 2008-05-27.
- "Lake View High School: Best High School". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "IHSA Season Summaries". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 16 November 2009. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- "IHSA Boys Track & Field Team Champions and Runners-Up". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- Terry, Cliff (2005). Chicago. Globe Pequot. p. 87. ISBN 0-7627-3517-1.
- McGavin, Patrick Z. (12 January 2010), "Lake View", Chicago Sun-Times, retrieved 17 January 2010
- 91st General Assembly (1998). House Resolution 0085 (Technical report). Illinois House of Representatives. HR 0085.
WHEREAS, Lake View High School has seen admirals, generals, judges, politicians, stars from the entertainment industry, and business leaders graduate from its halls of academia; Edgar Bergen, Gloria Swanson, and Tom Bosley are from the entertainment field ... ; former State Representative Sidney Yates was a graduate ...
- http://remixmag.com/transmissions/chicago-house-080405. Retrieved on 13 February 2011.
- Smith, Jay T. "Rewriting History: The Birth of the Globetrotters (Chicago Stories)". program notes. WTTW-TV (PBS Chicago). Retrieved 18 January 2010.
Globetrotter founder Abe Saperstein graduated Lake View High School in 1920. He went to the University of Illinois for a very short time, and in late 1920 or early 1921 began working for the Chicago Park District.