Lake Worth Community High School
|Lake Worth Community High School|
|Type||Public (magnet) Secondary - Title I |
|Principal||Dr. George L. Lockhart|
|Location||Lake Worth, Florida, United States|
|District||School District of Palm Beach County|
|Mascot||Trojans - Troy Trojan|
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Lake Worth Community High School is an A State of Florida rated public high school located in Lake Worth, Florida. Established in 1922 as Lake Worth High School, it is currently one of Palm Beach County's largest schools. It has six magnet programs: the award winning Air Force JROTC led by former Multi-National Award winning Drill Teams, Tyranny and Fidelis; Medicine and Allied Health; Child Care and Development; Criminal Justice; Culinary and Drafting and Design. The Palm Beach County School Board added the word Community to the names of all public high schools, including Lake Worth High School, in the 1980s.
Home of the Trojans.
Lake Worth Community High School has many Advanced Placement courses as well as many honors courses. The All-Star Academic Team has also been quite successful being able to make it to the finals during the 2008-2009 school year. Many students do well and are accepted into highly ranked universities. Students have been accepted to such schools as Columbia University, Cornell University, the University of Pennsylvania, Duke University, the University of Miami, Emory University, Brown University, New York University, the Florida State University, Johns Hopkins University and Dartmouth College. During the 2008-2009 school year, one student was wait listed at Harvard University. Each year numerous students are accepted to the University of Florida, and many other respectable schools.
School begins at 7:23 AM and ends at 2:50 PM.
Four Credits of English are required. English 1 is offered all the way up to AP English Language and Literature.
One credit of World History, one credit of American History, 0.5 credit of Economics, and 0.5 credit of Government are required to graduate. World history is usually taken during sophomore year, American history during junior year, and economics and government is taken during senior year.
Four Credits of Math are required to graduate. Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, and AP Statistics are offered.
Three Credits of Science are needed to graduate. Integrated Science I (formerly known as Earth Sciences), Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology, Physics, Environmental Science, Integrated Science I & II. Some courses are also available in AP version.
Foreign Language is required to graduate high school. At least two credits are required for college acceptance. Spanish and French are both offered from Spanish and French 1 up to AP Spanish Language and Literature and AP French Language.
The Lake Worth Community High School mascot is the Trojan (Troy Trojan) and the colors are Maroon and White (and also Gold pre-2000). The current Athletic Director is Mr. Jessie Hester, former American football (NFL) player.
Trojan Athletics include:
- Basketball - Girls & Boys
- Bowling- Girls & Boys
- Cross Country - Girls & Boys
- Football - Boys
- Flag Football - Girls
- Golf - Girls & Boys
- Soccer - Girls & Boys
- Swimming - Girls & Boys
- Tennis - Girls & Boys
- Track and Field - Girls & Boys
- Volleyball - Girls & Boys
- Water Polo - Girls & Boys
- Weightlifting - Girls & Boys
Many student athletes have arisen from the athletic's program at Lake Worth Community High School. Their longtime crosstown rivals have been Atlantic Community High School (Seacrest H.S.) Eagles, Santaluces Community High School Chiefs, John I. Leonard Community High School Lancers and most recently the Park Vista Community High School Cobras.
- Mark Foley, former member of the United States House of Representatives (Class of 1973)
- Deidre Hall and Andrea Hall, twin sisters; both stars of the soap opera Days of our Lives (Class of 1965)
- Otis Thorpe, former Providence College Friar and NBA basketball player for the Kansas City Kings (Class of 1980)
- Robert McKnight, former Florida State Senator and Representative (Class of 1962)
- Scott Levy, professional wrestler known as Raven (Class of 1983)
- Jean Francois professional basketball player, in Europe for BC Zepter, Vienna, Austria (Class of 2000)
- Joe Looney, professional NFL football player for the San Francisco 49ers (Class of 2008)
- LaVon Brazill, professional NFL player for the Indianapolis colts (Class of 2008)
- Paul Castronovo, host of the Paul and Young Ron show. www.paulandyoungron.com
- Stanley Shakespeare, NFL player
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007)|