Lakeland Regional High School
|Lakeland Regional High School District|
|Superintendent:||Robert P. Mooney (interim)|
|Business Administrator:||Kathryn Davenport|
|Address:||205 Conklintown Road
Wanaque, NJ 07465
|Enrollment:||1,104 (as of 2011-12)|
|Faculty (in FTEs):||87.3|
|District Factor Group:||FG|
| %± vs.
|10||Operations & Maintenance||1,559||8||1,954||-20.2%|
|16||Median Teacher Salary||70,785||29||71,726|
|Data from NJDoE 2014 Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending.
*Of 9-12 districts with any number of students. Lowest spending=1; Highest=47
|Lakeland Regional High School|
|Type||Public high school|
|Assistant principals||Dr. Ronald Finkelstein
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Athletics conference||Big North Conference|
|Rival||West Milford Highlanders|
Lakeland Regional High School is a comprehensive regional four-year public high school and school district serving students from the Boroughs of Ringwood and Wanaque (including its Haskell neighborhood), communities in Passaic County, New Jersey, United States, which have a combined population of about 25,000.
Students come to the high school from the Ringwood Public School District and the Wanaque Borough Schools. Lakeland Regional High School is accredited by the State of New Jersey and by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
As of the 2011-12 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,104 students and 87.3 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.65:1. There were 110 students (10.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 48 (4.3% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "FG", the fourth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
The high school has 115 professional staff members, with 60% having advanced degrees. There are 95 teachers, five area supervisors, and four guidance counselors. Lakeland also has a substance awareness coordinator, a complete child study team, a school nurse, a library-media specialist, an athletic trainer and several teacher aides.
Awards, recognition and rankings
In the 2000-01 school year, Lakeland Regional High School was recognized as a New Jersey Best Practice School for its S.C.O.P.E., Search, S.T.E.P., and SOAR School-to-Career / Workplace Environment programs.
The school was the 112th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 87th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 145th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 131st in the magazine's September 2008 issue,and 140th in the September 2006 which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 140th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 8 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (83.9%) and language arts literacy (94.5%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
In keeping with its mission as a comprehensive high school, Lakeland offers an extensive curriculum designed to serve the interests and needs of all students. The school is operates under intensive scheduling consisting of five blocks. Intensive scheduling allows students to concentrate on fewer courses each semester with extended time in class each period. As a requirement for graduation, Lakeland students must complete 135 credits, demonstrate mastery of basic skills on the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA), and meet a variety of local and state distribution requirements.
Advanced Placement Program (AP) Courses include AP English Language and Composition, AP United States History, AP United States Government and Politics, AP Calculus AB, AP Computer Science, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP Music Theory, AP European History and AP Spanish Language.
Honors Courses are offered in English, Algebra 2, Geometry, Pre-calculus, Calculus, Spanish 4 & 5, French 4, Latin 4, World History, US History, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science, and Gifted and Talented Senior Seminar.
Specialized Learning Programs, including interdisciplinary projects, are conducted using the high technology multimedia laboratory. Gifted and talented students are offered enrichment opportunities through the various departments and the G & T Coordinator. Other programs include School, Career Orientation and Personal Education (SCOPE), the Career Research Project (SEARCH), Students to Experience Professions (STEP) and (SOAR), the portfolio completion course. A third New Jersey Best Practice was awarded for this School to Career Program.
Electives are offered in most of the core subjects. The school provides practical experiences and a broad range of studies in the area of communication, transportation, energy and manufacturing. Numerous course offerings are provided in business education and family and consumer sciences. Fine arts electives encompass extensive music and art offerings.
The Lakeland Regional High School Lancers compete in the Big North Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 731 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as North I, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 481 to 749 students in that grade range. For the 2009-10 school year, Ridgewood was part of the North Jersey Tri-County Conference, a conference established on an interim basis to facilitate the realignment. Prior to the NJSIAA's realignment of New Jersey high school sports leagues which took effect beginning in 2009, Lakeland was a part of the Suburban Division of the Northern Hills Conference.
The football team won the NJSIAA North I Group II state sectional championship in 2004 and 2010. In 2004, the Lancers won the NJSIAA North I, Group II state championship, defeating Lenape Valley Regional High School in double overtime by a score of 17-14 at Giants Stadium, making it the first football state champions in Lakeland's history. The Lakeland Lancers football team made it to the North I Group II state championship final again in 2008, but lost by a score of 35-6 to first seed Wayne Hills High School who was riding a 51-game winning streak and was the 4-time defending champion, with Lakeland ending the season with a record of 11-1 after losing in the first match between the two teams. In 2010, the Lancers faced Ramsey High School in the North 1, Group II championship game at Kean University. They were victorious, winning the game 20-0 for the second football state title in school history.
- Bobby Czyz (born 1962), former world light heavyweight and cruiserweight champion boxer.
- Jeff Livesey (born 1966), baseball coach.
- Austin Scarlett (born 1977), fashion designer who starred in the first season of Project Runway.
- Fred Strickland (born 1966), 12-year NFL linebacker (1988–1999).
- Benny Yurco (born 1981), professional musician and record producer who has been a member of Grace Potter & The Nocturnals.
- Robert P. Mooney - Interim Superintendent
- Matthew Certo - Principal
- Kathryn Davenport - Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Dr. Ronald Finkelstein - Assistant Principal
- Richard Kelly - Assistant Principal
- Data for Lakeland Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed November 5, 2014.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Lakeland Regional High School 2013 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 5, 2014. "The Lakeland Regional High School District, serving grades 9-12, is a comprehensive high school district. Students come to the high school from the Ringwood, Wanaque & Haskell K - 8 districts and several private schools."
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 5, 2014.
- New Jersey Department of Education Best Practices Award recipients, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 23, 2006.
- Star School Award recipient detail, New Jersey Department of Education, Archived December 18, 2006. Accessed November 26, 2009.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 27, 2012.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 5, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for North I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 5, 2014.
- New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association League Memberships – 2009-2010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 28, 2011. Accessed November 5, 2014.
- Home Page, Northern Hills Conference, backed up by the Internet Archive as of January 28, 2011. Accessed December 15, 2014.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed March 4, 2012.
- PASSAIC COUNTY FREEHOLDERS HONOR LAKELAND REGIONAL HIGH SCHOOL CHAMPS, Passaic County, New Jersey press release dated April 26, 2005.
- Reilly, Sean. "Wayne Hills runs away from Lakeland, 35-6", The Star-Ledger, December 6, 2008. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Staff. "Wayne Hills 35, Lakeland 6 (High school Football scores & results)", The Star-Ledger, December 6, 2008. Accessed March 5, 2012. "Senior tailback/defensive back Ronnie Driesse had an outstanding afternoon in his final scholastic game as he rushed 28 times for 213 yards and two touchdowns and intercepted two passes, returning one for a score, as Wayne Hills, No. 4 in The Star-Ledger Top 20, defeated No. 11 Lakeland, 35-6, in a battle of unbeaten teams in the NJSIAA/Gatorade North Jersey, Section 1, Group 3 championship yesterday at Giants Stadium. It was the first game ever between Wayne Hills (12-0) and Lakeland (11-1), both of Passaic County, and marked the fifth consecutive sectional title for Wayne Hills."
- "Lakeland blanks Ramsey to win state title" Jersey Sports Now, December 4, 2010.
- Berger, Phil. "PLAYERS; BOBBY CZYZ FIGHTS BACK", The New York Times, August 5, 1986. Accessed October 2, 2013. "When Bobby Czyz first appeared on television screens in the early 1980's he was depicted as a boxing Galahad: a good-looking, clean-cut kid who graduated sixth in a class of 335 students at Lakeland Regional High School in Wanaque, N.J., and just the sort of boxer that middle America could take to heart."
- "Boxing commentator arrested", Herald News, February 25, 2003. "Boxing commentator and former two-time world champion Bobby Czyz, a Lakeland High School graduate and former Wanaque resident, has been charged with drunken driving."
- Gramlich, Barry. "LAKELAND'S LIVESEY SEES HIS FUTURE", The Record (Bergen County), June 13, 1993. Accessed November 18, 2013. "Realizing his day in the big leagues may never come, Jeff Livesey plays to coach. 'I'd love to play in the big leagues; I work toward that everyday,' says Livesey, a former three-time All-Passaic County catcher at Lakeland High School."
- Fred Strickland player profile, Washington Redskins, accessed April 11, 2007.
- Administration and Supervisors, Lakeland Regional High School. Accessed November 5, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for Passaic County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 5, 2014.
- Lakeland Regional High School
- Lakeland Regional High School's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Lakeland Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics