Lakeland Senior High School (Florida)
||This school-related article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (February 2012)|
|Lakeland Senior High School|
|726 Hollingsworth Road
Lakeland, Florida, 33801
(Second to None)
|Color(s)||Orange and Black|
Lakeland Senior High School is the oldest public high school in Lakeland, Florida, United States. It is part of The Polk County Public Schools. Lakeland Senior High School was the original high school in the city. It also shares its campus with Lois Cowles Harrison Center for the Visual and Performing Arts. Harrison students attend academic classes at Lakeland Senior High School. In 2001 Lakeland Senior High underwent a massive renovation.
The school's athletics teams are known as the Lakeland Dreadnaughts.
Lakeland's football team has won 5 state championships in 1986, 1996, 1999, 2004, 2005 and 2006.
The Lakeland Senior High School Band was founded in 1924. In 1987, the wind ensemble earned the John Philip Sousa Foundation's Sudler Flag of Honor. In 1994, the symphony band also received this award. This makes Lakeland High the first school to receive the award twice.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
- Lindsey Alley, Class of 1996, Actress, Cast member of Mickey Mouse Club. Class of 1996
- Andy Bean, American professional golfer
- Ahmad Black, Class of 2007, Tampa Bay Buccaneers player
- Charles T. Canady, Florida Supreme Court justice
- Lawton Chiles, Governor of Florida from 1991–1998, Class of 1948
- Kay Hagan, United States Senator, niece of Lawton Chiles
- Allen Hunt, Talk Radio Host, Class of 1982
- Drew Hutchison, MLB baseball player with the Toronto Blue Jays
- Lee Janzen, American professional golfer and two-time US Open winner
- Frances Langford, American singer and entertainer
- Neva Jane Langley, Miss America 1953
- Sona MacDonald, class of 1979, European actress
- Wayne Peace, class of 1980, American football player
- Maurkice Pouncey, class of 2007, Pittsburgh Steelers player
- Mike Pouncey, class of 2007, Miami Dolphins player
- Boog Powell, American professional baseball player
- Chris Rainey, class of 2007, Pittsburgh Steelers player
- Rey Robinson, 1972 US Track & Field Olympian and former world record holder in the 100 meter sprint
- Dennis A. Ross, class of 1977, United States Congressman
- Chris Sale: MLB baseball player with the Chicago White Sox
- Rod Smart, class of 1995, NFL player 
- Park Trammell, US Senator and 21st Governor of Florida
Old Lakeland High School
- See main article: Old Lakeland High School
The Old Lakeland High School is located at 400 South Florida Avenue in Lakeland and in 1993 was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Over the years the building has housed several different schools including the Polk Opportunity Center and Lakeland Middle Academy renamed the Lawton Chiles Middle Academy in 1999.
- "The Faculty of LHS: Faculty and Staff". Retrieved 2007-03-06.[dead link]
- "FHSAA Championship Record Books". Florida High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "Day 2 of Jays' Draft filled with connections". Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Chris Sale Stats". http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=salech01. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- "Rod Smart". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved November 26, 2012.