|Imam Ali Bin Abi Taleb Mosque
Masjid Ali Bin Abi Taleb
|Location||Lakemba (Sydney), New South Wales, Australia|
|Leadership||Sheikh Yahya Safi (Imam)|
|Founder||The Lebanese Muslim Association|
|Notable Australian Muslims
Grand Mufti of Australia
Taj El-Din Hilaly • Fehmi Naji • Ibrahim Abu Mohamed
Lakemba Mosque, (also known as the Imam Ali Bin Abi Taleb Mosque at Lakemba, and Masjid Ali Bin Abi Taleb) is one of the largest mosques in Australia. It is located in the suburb of Lakemba, New South Wales and is used mostly by Lebanese Australians. The construction of the mosque was completed in 1977, and is owned and managed by the Lebanese Muslim Association.
Leading people at the Mosque include:
- The former Mufti of Australia & New Zealand, Taj El-Din Hilaly, has been based at Lakemba Mosque since his arrival in Australia.
- The Imam of Lakemba Mosque is Sheikh Yahya Safi, the "Australian Representative of Dar ul Fatwa of Lebanon". Born in Tripoli, Lebanon in 1970, he was awarded a degree in Islamic Jurisprudence in 1992. He worked as an Imam in Tripoli, before arriving in Australia, to be the Imam of Lakemba Mosque in 1996. Awarded a "Masters degree in the interpretation and studies of the Qu'ran in 2002," Sheikh Yahya is preparing for a PhD in Islamic studies. He has gained Certificate IV in English for Academic Purposes.
- Sheikh Bassam Alameddine is Assistant Sheikh.
- Sheikh Shady Alsuleiman is Youth Representative. Born in Sydney he completed his School Certificate before undertaking Islamic studies in Pakistan and Syria. He also teaches at Sydney Islamic College.
- Faisal Kassir is the Mosque's Education Department leader, organising classes in the Arabic language.
- Yusuf, Irfan (1 November 2006). "Islam and Australia: Hilali Has to Go". Retrieved 27 January 2007.
- Sydney Islamic College - Teachers: Shaykh Shady Alsuleiman retrieved 2008-12-31
- The Lebanese Muslims Association: Sheikhs retrieved 2007-01-26
- "Mosques and Prayer Halls". Islamic Council of NSW. Retrieved 26 January 2007.[dead link]
- Sheikh Yahya Safi Biography retrieved 2007-02-02[dead link]
|This article about a mosque or other Islamic place of worship in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in New South Wales is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|