Lakeshore West line
|Locale||Greater Toronto Area|
Toronto Union Station
|Daily ridership||52,230 (2008)|
|Opening||May 23, 1967|
|Owner||Canadian National Railway
Canadian Pacific Railway
|Line length||63.2 kilometres (39.3 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Operating speed||150 km/h (93 mph) (max)|
Lakeshore West is one of the seven train lines of the GO Transit system under Metrolinx in the Greater Toronto Area, Ontario, Canada. It extends from Union Station in Toronto to Hamilton, with summer weekend and holiday limited stop service extending to Niagara Falls which started in June 2009.
The Lakeshore West line is the oldest of GO's services, opening as part of the then-unified Lakeshore line on GO's first day of operations, May 23, 1967. The first train left at 4:50 am from Oakville bound for Toronto, ten minutes before service began out of Pickering on its sister line to the East.
Work was recently completed to add a third track between Sixteen Mile creek and the Port Credit station. Combined with additional work undertaken since the early nineties, this gives the Lakeshore West line at least three tracks from Union Station through to Bayview Junction.
Niagara excursion service
During the summer and early autumn, GO Transit offers an excursion train to St. Catharines and Niagara Falls on weekends and holidays. The train departs from Union Station, and makes limited stops along the Lakeshore West line at Exhibition, Port Credit, Oakville and Burlington, before continuing around Burlington Bay and heading east into the Niagara Peninsula.
In the 2008 Metrolinx report entitled "The Big Move", the agency identified an express all-day service between Hamilton and Oshawa (via Toronto Union) as one of its top 15 priorities. The project will include the construction of a new train station on James Street North in Hamilton. This is expected to be completed and operational in time for the 2015 Pan Am Games.  On 19 April 2013, GO Transit announced that service on the line would expand to have trains running every 30 minutes all day during non-peak hours.
The Lakeshore West line makes connections with:
- Burlington Transit
- Hamilton Street Railway
- Niagara Falls Transit (seasonal)
- Niagara Region Transit (seasonal)
- Oakville Transit
- St. Catharines Transit (seasonal)
- Toronto Transit Commission
- "Quick Facts: GO Trains (Sept 2012)". GO Transit. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- Niagara on the GO
- GO celebrates 40 years of success
- GO Transit First Employee Timetable
- The Big Move, Section 5.2: The first 15 years. Retrieved July 23, 2010
- Graham, Matthew. "James Street North GO Station Information Package". GO Transit. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Kalinowski, Tess (19 April 2013). "GO trains to run every 30 minutes all day on Lakeshore lines". Toronto Star (Toronto Star Newspapers). Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- GO Transit: Lakeshore GO Train & Bus Service
- GO Transit: Lakeshore GO Train & Bus Service Schedule (PDF)