Lakewood High School (New Jersey)
|Lakewood High School|
|855 Somerset Avenue
Lakewood, NJ 08701
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Lakewood School District|
|Assistant principals||Bienvenida Gardinet
|Faculty||76.4 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9th - 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.66:1|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,120 students and 76.4 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 14.66:1. There were 858 students (76.6% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 85 (7.6% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 324th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 316th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 288th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Lakewood High School Piners compete in the Shore Conference, an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore. All schools in this conference are located within Monmouth County and Ocean County, and the league operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). The school competes in the C-Central Division of the Shore Conference, in Football, Tennis, Bowling, Cheerleading, Softball, Baseball, Wrestling, Basketball, Volleyball, Track, Cross Country, and Field Hockey, with the most success over previous years coming in Boys Basketball, Boys Soccer, and Girls and Boys Track.
The boys basketball team won the Central Jersey Group III state sectional title in 2010, defeating Neptune High School in the sectional final by a score of 59-51. The boys basketball team also won the Shore Conference Championship in the 2012-2013 regular season.
Core member of the school's administration are:
- Angela Stewart - Principal
- Bienvenida Gardinet - Assistant Principal
- Doug Riley - Assistant Principal
- Kelly Williams - Assistant Principal
- Matthew Boxer, the first New Jersey State Comptroller.
- Melvin Cottrell (1929-2002), former mayor of Jackson Township who served in the New Jersey General Assembly from 1992 until his death.
- Michael Cudlitz (born 1964), actor who has appeared in Band of Brothers and the TV show Southland.
- Marc Ecko (born 1972), founder and CEO of *eckō Unltd.
- Dick Estelle (born 1942), pitcher for the San Francisco Giants in 1964 and 1965.
- Damian Hahn, Wrestler, 3x NJ State Champion, 3x All American at Minnesota, and 2x NCAA Champion.
- Rubby Sherr (1913-2013), Princeton University physicist who participated in Manhattan Project at Los Alamos, New Mexico
- J. R. Smith (born 1985), National Basketball Association player currently with the New York Knicks.
- Data for Lakewood High, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 9, 2012.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 22, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed January 31, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Info, Shore Conference. Accessed March 9, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 18, 2012.
- Christopher, Chris. "Celebration: Piners win sectional title with victory over Neptune", Asbury Park Press, March 16, 2010. Accessed July 26, 2011. "The Piners received hats after their 59-51 win over visiting Neptune in the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association Central Jersey Group III championship game March 8. The season ended with the 20-9 Piners, hoping to qualify for a Group state championship game for the first time since 1975 when they bested East Orange in Group III, losing to Kingsway Regional by 20 points in the Group III semifinals."
- Home page, Lakewood High School. Accessed September 18, 2012.
- Matthew Boxer, New Jersey State Comptroller. Accessed September 18, 2012. "A New Jersey resident for more than three decades, Boxer graduated as the class valedictorian from Lakewood High School in 1988, graduated magna cum laude from Princeton University in 1992 with a B.A. in politics and earned a J.D. from Columbia University School of Law in 1995."
- Rosman, Mark. "Assemblyman recalled for service to people in need", Tri-Town News, October 17, 2002. Accessed May 31, 2010.
- Michael Cudlitz, Turner Classic Movies. Accessed August 22, 2012. "Since his elementary school days, Cudlitz also showed an interest in acting and participated in school dramatics through his graduation from Lakewood High School."
- Walker, Rob. "Cul-de-Sac Cred", The New York Times, July 10, 2005. "Marc Milecofsky grew up in Lakewood, N.J., about an hour and a half south of Manhattan.... He also figured out that not every place was as ethnically and culturally diverse as Lakewood's public schools, where there were as many black and Latino students as whites.... Ecko went to the Rutgers School of Pharmacy, where being a white hip-hop fan was more unusual than it had been at Lakewood High"
- McKenzie, Doug. "Lakewood Hall of Fame welcomes 14 legends", Tri-Town News, May 4, 2006. Accessed July 26, 2011. "Estelle was the first Major League Baseball player from Lakewood High School, and just the second from Ocean County. Estelle signed with the San Francisco Giants on graduation day in 1960 and pitched on the 1962 National League championship team."
- Myers, Erin. "Featured Wrestler of the Month: Father's dreams live on in son, CSTV, November 15, 2004. Accessed June 15, 2007.
- White, Mike. "Lakewood duo brings home Region VI titles", Allentown Examiner, March 11, 2004. Accessed June 15, 2007. "The Lakewood High School wrestling team made a huge impact at last weekend’s NJSIAA Region VI Wrestling Tournament. The Piners walked away with a pair of wrestlers who captured titles. Oscar Orellana and Matt Rizzo became the first wrestlers at Lakewood to win regional titles since the legendary Damian Hahn won the last of his four region titles four years ago."
- Earl "J.R." Smith player profile, USA Basketball, accessed March 3, 2007. "As a sophomore attended Lakewood High School (N.J.), and aided his squad to a 23-6 record and the South Jersey Group 3 championship, averaged 27.0 ppg., 8.0 rpg. and 3.0 bpg."
- Lakewood High School website
- Lakewood School District
- Lakewood School District's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Lakewood School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- DigitalSports Lakewood Homepage