Lakhipur Raj Home
|Elevation||22 m (72 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||0091 3663 28|
The name Lakhipur is said to be very ancient. Two schools of opinion on the origin of its name exist. According to one school of opinion, the name relates to Lakshmi, the Hindu Goddess of wealth. Another school of opinion says that the place was named after notable Dimasa King Laxminarayan who ruled this part of the country in ancient times.
As of 2001[update] India census, Lakhipur had a population of 9,708. Male population 4,976 and female population is 4,732. Lakhipur has an average literacy rate of 60%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 67%, and female literacy is 52%. In Lakhipur, 16% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Climate of Lakhipur is significant for excessive humidity and being shut in by ranges of hills on North, East and South, heat during summer becomes unbearable. During rainy season, the air is surcharged with moisture and rainfall is extremely heavy. The winter is not so cold as that of Brahmaputra velley. The rainy season starts from May and continues up to October.
Lakhipur Municipal Board
Lakhipur Town Committee was constituted in 1960 with 4 wards. These wards were revised to 10 wards in 1994 and further upgraded to 12 wards in 1999. The urban local body was given the status of Municipal Board vide Government of Assam notification number UDD(M)250/79/342 dated 21 July 2007. After a gap of 13 years, Lakhipur Town Committee got a new chairman as the last election in Lakhipur was held in 1996.
Lakhipur Sub-Division was created in the year 1992 vide Govt. Notification No. GAG(B). 26/91/36 DTD. 23.03.1992 COMPRISING 212 Nos. of Revenue Villages. The Sub-Division has four Development Blocks and also four ICDS Projects, one Circle Office, two Police Stations and two Police Out Posts.
The Lakhipur Civil Sub-Diovision is bounded by in the East Manipur State, West – Silchar Sadar Sub-Division, North – N.C. Hills Border and South – Sonai Circle. The total population of the Sub-Division is estimated at 2,52,642 (approx). The Sub-Division has been maintaining a unique unity in diversity although it has a population belonging to different caste, language, religion and cultural.
Names of Head of Offices under Lakhipur Sub-Division with Locations.
- Office of the Sub-Divisional Police Officer, Lakhipur.
- Office of the Circle Officer, Lakhipur.
- Office of the Block Development Officer, Lakhipur (Fulertal).
- Office of the Block Development Officer, Rajabazar.
- Office of the Block Development Officer, Banskandi.
- Office of the Block Development Officer, Binnakandi.
- Office of the Child Development Project Officer, Lakhipur (Fulertal).
- Office of the Child Development Project Officer, Rajabazar.
- Office of the Child Development Project Officer, Banskandi.
- Office of the Child Development Project Officer, Binnakandi.
- Office of the Block Elementary Education Officer, Lakhipur (Pailapool).
- Office of the Block Elementary Education Officer, Rajabazar.
- Office of the Sub-Registrar (Registration), Lokkhipur.
- Office of the Sub-Divisional Agricultural Officer, Lakhipur.
- Office of the Sub-Divisional Fishery Development Officer, Lakhipur.
- Officer of the Inspector, Labour, Lakhipur.
- Office of the Inspector, Handloom & Textiles, Lakhipur.
- Office of the Officer-In-Charge, Lakhipur Police Station.
- Office of the Officer-In-Charge, Jirighat Police Station.
- Office of the In-Charge, Banskandi Investigation Centre, Banskandi.
- Office of the In-Charge, Joypur Police Out Post, Joypur.
- Office of the Sub-Divisional Information & Public Relations Officer, Lakhipur.
- Office of the Range Forest Officer, Jirighat Range, Lakhipur.
- Office of the Asstt. Executive Engineer, PHE, Lakhipur.
- Office of the Asstt. Executive Engineer, ASEB, Lakhipur.
- Office of the Sub-Divisional Welfare officer, Lakhipur (Chiripool).
- Office of the Deputy Superintendent of Excise, Lakhipur.
- Office of the Sub-Divisional Medical & Health Officer, Lakhipur.
- Office of the Sub-Divisional Medical & Health Officer, Harinagar.
- Office of the Manager, Sericulture Firm, Pailapool.
- Office of the Manager, Govt. E.S.G. Harinagar, Cachar.
- Office of the Asstt. Surgeon, Veterinary, Lokkhipur (Fulertal).
- Office of the Asstt. Surgeon, Veterinary, Joypur.
- Office of the Asstt. Surgeon, Veterinary, Banskandi.
- Office of the In-Charge, Fire Service Station, Lakhipur.
REVENUE CIRCLE UNDER LAKHIPUR SUB-DIVISION.
There are two revenue Circle under Lakhipur Subdivision. They are--
- Lakhipur Revenue Circle.
- Sonai Revenue Circle (part).
DEVELOPMENT BLOCKS UNDER LAKHIPUR SUB-DIVISION.
- Lakhipur Development Block, (Fulertal).
- Rajabazar Development Block, Joypur Rajabazar.
- Banskandi Development Block, Banskandi.
- Binnakandi Development Block, Binnakandi.
- Lakhipur PHC, Lakhipur.
- Singerband PHC,Singerband.
- Jirighat N.P.H.C. Jirighat.
- Diger Fulertal S.H.C., Hmarkhawlien (Hatukhal).
- Banskandi N.P.H.C., Banskandi.
- Harinagar PHC, Harinagar.
- Joypur S.H.C., Joypur Rajabazar.
- Block Veterinary Dispensary and A. I. Centre, Lakhipur, Fulertal.
- Joypur Veterinary Dispensary and A. I. Centre, Joypur.
- Harinagar Veterinary Dispensary and A. I. Centre, Harinagar.
- Banskandi Veterinary Dispensary and A. I. Centre, Banskandi.
- Nos. of College(s) – 3
- Nos. of Higher Secondary School(s) – 4
- Nos. of M.E. School(s) – 42
- Nos. of M.E. Madrassa(s) – 6
- Nos. of M.V. School(s) – 5
- Nos. of Primary School(s) – 335
- Nos. of Senior Basic School(s) – Nil
- Nos. of Junior Basic School(s) – 5
P.W.D. Roads: -
- Fulertal – Lakhipur – Sapormoina Road.
- Pailapool- Kumacherra Road.
- Joypur Sibasthan Road.
- Banskandi-Sonai Road
One railway (Meter Gauge) link starting from Silchar to Jiribam (Manipur) Via-Lakhipur Sub-Division.
- Bhuban Valley
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Lakhipur
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "List of Parliamentary & Assembly Constituencies". Assam. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-05.