Lakshmana Temple, Khajuraho India
Lakshmana temple at Khajuraho
|Proper name||Lakshmana Temple|
|Primary deity||Vaikuntha Vishnu|
|Number of temples||1 (+4 small temples on corners)|
|History and governance|
|Date built||CIRCA 930-950 A.D.|
|Creator||Yashovarman, (Chandella Ruler)|
It is a Sandhara Temple of the Panchayatana Variety. The entire temple complex stands on a high platform (Jagati), as seen in image. The structure consists of all the elements of Hindu temple architecture. It has entrance porch (ardh-mandapa), Mandapa, Maha-Mandapa, Antarala and Garbhagriha.
The wall portion is studded with balconied windows with ornate balustrades.
It has two rows of sculptures (refer images of temple's outer wall) including divine figures, couples and erotic scenes.
The sanctum doorway is of seven sakhas (vertical panels). The central one being decorated with various incarnation of Lord Vishnu. The Lintel depicts goddess Lakshmi in the centre flanked by Brahma and Vishnu. The sanctum contains four-armed sculpture of Vishnu.
Variety of kamasutra idol in india.lot of idols are collapsed.few only found and saved.
Outer Wall Sculpture
Sculptures inside temple
- Khajuraho Group of Monuments
- Kandariya Mahadeva
- Chaturbhuj Temple, Khajuraho India
- Duladeo Temple, Khajuraho India
- Javari Temple, Khajuraho India
- Varaha Temple, Khajuraho India
- Jain temples of Khajuraho
- "Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) - Lakshmana Temple". Archaeological Survey of India (ASI). Retrieved 21 March 2012.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- M.P. Tourism Website, Official Website of Madhya Pradesh State Tourism Corporation, Khajuraho
- Archeological Survey of India, Bhopal Division, Index Page for Khajuraho - Chhatarpur
- Archeological Survey of India, Bhopal Division, Lakshmana Temple, Khajuraho
- Images of Khajuraho Sculptures
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Khajuraho group of monuments.|