|Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner for the County of Los Angeles|
February 18, 1992 – August 11, 2013
|Preceded by||J. Lawrence Cogan (Acting)|
|Succeeded by||Mark A. Fajardo|
|Alma mater||Loyola College, Chennai
Stanley Medical College
Dr. Lakshmanan Sathyavagiswaran is the former Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner for the County of Los Angeles.
Education and early career
Sathyavagiswaran graduated from Loyola College, Chennai in 1965 and Stanley Medical College in 1971. In 1972 he immigrated to the United States, where he interned at the Jewish Hospital of Brooklyn. From 1972 to 1973 he trained in anatomical and clinical pathology at St. Luke's Hospital of Columbia University. From 1973 to 1977 he was the senior resident in medicine at Brooklyn Cumberland Hospital.
Los Angeles County Coroner
In 1977 he joined the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office. He worked his way up to the position of chief of forensic medicine. In 1990 he was passed over in favor of J. Lawrence Cogan for the position of Acting Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner.
Sathyavagiswaran was appointed Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner in 1992. The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors' first selection, Dr. Joshua Perper of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, declined the job due to Los Angeles' high housing costs. The Board's second choice, Dr. Yong-Myun Rho, of Queens, New York thrice failed the state medical exam. Sathyavagiswaran was then selected over Cogan after the Board of Supervisors received a letter signed by several deputy medical examiners recommending Sathyavagiswaran for consideration. 
He was the medical examiner during the O. J. Simpson murder case and testified during the criminal and civil trials. Sathyavagiswaran also testified in the trials of Dean Carter and Phil Spector, as well as in the wrongful death suit brought against the Los Angeles Police Department by the family of Emil Matasareanu.
Sathyavagiswaran supervised the autopsy on the body of Michael Jackson on June 26, 2009.
- Who's Who among Asian Americans, 1994-95. Gale Research. 1994.
- Simon, Richard (February 12, 1992). "No. 2 Man Selected as County Coroner". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Noble, Kenneth B. (1995-06-15). "Trying on Bloody Gloves, Simpson Finds Them Tight". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-06-17.
- Associated Press (1996-10-18). "Coroner lays out detailed theories of killings". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-06-17.
- "Phil Spector's second mudrer trial: Defence presents case". The Daily Telegraph. 2009-01-27. Retrieved 2009-06-17.
- "WITNESS SOFTENS TESTIMONY POLICE GOT AID FOR ANOTHER MAN THEY THOUGHT WAS A SUSPECT.". Los Angeles Daily News. 2000-02-24. Retrieved 2009-06-17.