||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2014)|
|Raai Laxmi |
Raai Laxmi 2014
May 5, 1989 
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Occupation||Actress, model, stage performer|
|Height||5' 9" (1.75 m)|
Raai Laxmi (formerly Lakshmi Rai) is an Indian film actress appearing in South Indian films. She has appeared in many successful Tamil productions, most popular being Muni 2: Kanchana and Mankatha (both 2011). Raai made her debut in Malayalam in 2007, starring in Rock N' Roll, which performed poorly at the box office. But she followed it up with several successful films such as Annan Thambi (2008), 2 Harihar Nagar (2009), Chattambinadu (2009), Evidam Swargamanu (2009), Oru Marubhoomikkadha (2011) and Mayamohini (2012), thus establishing herself as a successful actress in the industry. She also enjoys popularity in Kannada and Telugu films, after appearing in Kalpana and Adhinayakudu (both 2012).
Early life and career
Lakshmi Rai was born in Bangalore, Karnataka, and brought up at Belgaum.She initially worked as a model before entering the film industry. She appeared in television ads such as Sylcon Footwears, Josco Jewellers, Saravana Stores, Emmanuel Silks, Bru Coffee and Fair & Lovely.
She made her acting debut in 2005 in the Tamil film Karka Kasadara. Subsequently she appeared in a number of Tamil films, including the comedy film Kundakka Mandakka (2005) opposite R. Parthiban, Perarasu's action-masala flick Dharmapuri (2006), and the romance film Nenjai Thodu (2007). In 2008, she began working in more serious films such as the drama film Velli Thirai, in which she played herself, and the action thriller Dhaam Dhoom directed by Jeeva. She received positive feedbacks forher portrayal of a lawyer in the latter. A review from Behindwoods wrote: "The latter (Lakshmi Rai) sizzles even as she is supposed to play the court professional who is caught in the web of smuggling drugs". She won her first Filmfare Award nomination in the Best Supporting Actress category.
She made her debut in Malayalam in 2007, starring in Rock & Roll opposite Mohanlal. She was noticed by the film field although film was a commercial failure. She followed it up with several successful films such as Annan Thambi, 2 Harihar Nagar (2009), Evidam Swargamanu (2009) opposite Mohanlal, and Chattambinadu (2009) opposite Mammootty. She appeared in three Tamil films in 2009, Muthirai, Vaamanan and Naan Avanillai 2. In Vaamanan, she played a glamourous supermodel. In 2010, she was seen in three films. She made special appearances during song sequences in two of them, In Ghost House Inn and Pen Singam and portrayed a cowgirl in the Tamil film Irumbukkottai Murattu Singam.
Lakshmi Rai's first 2011 release was Christian Brothers opposite Mohanlal, which was a huge commercial success. Her next two films were Tamil projects, the comedy horror Kanchana and the Venkat Prabhu-directed action thriller Mankatha, starring Ajith Kumar. She essayed a negative character in the latter, which was received positively by critics. Both films emerged high financial success. Following Kanchana's success, she was signed on to reprise the role in its Kannada remake too. Her latest release Arabiyum, Ottakavum, P. Madhavan Nairum opposite Mohanlal is declared superhit by trade.
In June 2014 she changed her name from Lakshmi Rai to Raai Laxmi. 
Based on an online poll conducted by The Times of India Lakshmi Rai won the "Best Actor Award in a Negative Role - Female" for Mankatha. In 2012, Lakshmi Rai won the Stylish Star of South Indian Cinema - Female at South Indian International Movie Awards SIIMA Awards 2012.
|2005||Kanchanamala Cable TV||Kanchana||Telugu|
|2007||Rock N' Roll||Daya Sreenivas||Malayalam||Asianet Award for Best Female New Face of the Year|
|2008||Velli Thirai||Herself||Tamil||Cameo appearance|
|2008||Dhaam Dhoom||Aarthi Chinappa||Tamil||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Tamil|
|2009||2 Harihar Nagar||Maya aka Christina Honai||Malayalam|
|2009||Naan Avanillai 2||Deepa||Tamil|
|2009||Evidam Swargamanu||Advocate Sunitha||Malayalam||Asianet Most Popular Actress Award
JaiHind TV Film Award for Most Popular Actress
Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Malayalam
|2010||In Ghost House Inn||Malayalam||Special appearance|
|2010||Irumbukkottai Murattu Singam||Pakki||Tamil|
|2010||Pen Singam||Herself||Tamil||Special appearance|
|2011||Mankatha||Sona||Tamil||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Tamil|
|2011||Oru Marubhoomikkadha||Meenakshy Thampuran,
|2012||Mayamohini||Maya aka Katrina||Malayalam|
|2013||Vana Yuddham||Vijayata Vashisht||Tamil|
|2013||Aaru Sundarimaarude Katha||Fouzia Hassan IPS||Malayalam|
- "It’s Raai Laxmi from now!". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- http://spicyonion.com/actress/lakshmi-rai-biography/ spicyonion.com Actress Lakshmi Rai biography
- http://www.southdreamz.com/portfolio/lakshmi-rai/ southdreamz.com Lakshmi Rai biography / biodata
- Back to Kannada Friday Review Bangalore, The Hindu, Feb 22, 2008
- "DHAAM DHOOM – MOVIE REVIEW CAST Jayam Ravi Kangana Ranaut Lakshmi Rai". Behindwoods.com. 5 December 2007. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Lakshmi Rai’s hat trick with Mammootty!". Sify. 20 August 2009. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Lakshmi is happy with life". The Times Of India. 17 April 2009. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- Prakash KL (6 September 2011). "Lakshmi Rai Ravishing | Ajith Kumar Mankatha". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "I'm on cloud nine, says Lakshmi Rai". ppSify. 8 September 2011. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Lakshmi in Kanchana Kannada remake". The Times Of India. 6 November 2011. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Laskhmi Rai changes her name to Raai Laxmi on June 2". Deccan-Journal. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "The Chennai Times Film Awards 2011". The Times Of India. 22 June 2012. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "SIIMA Awards 2012: Winners List". The Times Of India. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- Sivanand, Sibin (2012-07-09). "Dream cast for Hashim Marikar's Preview". Theater Balcony. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Lakshmi Rai in Arabian Safari - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-01-29. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Lakshmi's a biker in her next with Atharvaa - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Lakshmi signs her next film with Sundar C - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Lakshmi Rai signs a new Kannada film - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Lakshmi Rai teams up with Mammootty again - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Raai Laxmi.|