|Slogan||Sew magical - Sew cute|
Lalaloopsy is an American line of plastic rag dolls from MGA Entertainment. They were originally released in 2010 as Bitty Buttons but the brand name was changed to Lalaloopsy shortly after launch. They were popular in the 2010 holiday season. A variety of large and small Lalaloopsy dolls have been released, as well as several Lalaloopsy themed video games. In 2012 and 2013 Lalaloopsy TV specials and TV series began airing on Nick Jr.
On July 19, 2010, MGA Entertainment announced the launch of a line of doll toys, Bitty Buttons, featuring eight 12 -inch original rag dolls. Bitty Buttons had the tag line "Sew magical - Sew cute". Each doll character was created with a fictional theme, reflecting the day she is born, the fabric she is sewn from, and her pet. Isaac Larian, CEO of MGA Entertainment, said, "Bitty Buttons was designed to teach kids that everybody is unique in their own special way. The new brand promotes the idea that old things can become new again, everything can be repurposed and nothing should ever go to waste." According to company press releases, the dolls were, "Designed to encourage a child's imagination and creativity" and "teach important life lessons such as diversity, individuality and the idea that everything deserves a second life." At release, the original eight dolls were Crumbs Sugar Cookie, Jewel Sparkles, Peanut Big Top, Bea Spells-a-Lot, Mittens Fluff 'N' Stuff, Dot Starlight, Pillow Featherbed, and Spot Splatter Splash.
The dolls changed from "Bitty Buttons" to "Lalaloopsy" shortly after launch. In November 2010, the Lalaloopsy toy line won the "Large Doll" category in the People's Play Awards, and was featured the next day on the American television program Live with Regis and Kelly.
Lalaloopsy's original dolls were described by CBS's The Early Show in November 2010 as "the hottest toy of the season," and MSNBC referred to them as "this year’s Tickle Me Elmo". The New York Post described them as, "Creating Cabbage Patch-like hysteria among Holiday shoppers." On December 21, 2010 Lalaloopsy dolls were in the first spot on "Google’s Hottest Holiday Internet Searches." According to Google searches for Lalaloopsy dolls were "up 20% since the beginning of December."
On February 13, 2011, the addition of three new characters: Patch Treasurechest, Blossom Flowerpot, and Tippy Tumblelina were added to the existing line of 8. It was also announced that the company would be expanding the line of toys to include new mini versions of the dolls as well as made-for-DVD feature that has been released in spring 2012.
Additional mini-series were created as well as exclusive holiday-themed dolls that could only be found at certain retail stores. On June 28, 2011 three new characters: Marina Anchors, Sahara Mirage, and Misty Mysterious were added as well as additional play-sets. Development of a Nintendo DS title was also announced, with the official release date being November 6, 2011. Each game came with one of four mini dolls.
On November 16, 2011 MGA announced that the newly created nurse doll - Rosy Bumps ‘N’ Bruises has been donated to more than 1,000 Red Cross hospital blood drives across the country to aid in awareness. The following day MGA entertainment announced the creation of 5 webisodes to be featured on Teletoon, and that future updates would be posted on the Lalaloopsy Facebook wall.
In December 2011 MGA Entertainment started to advertise Lalaloopsy Micro Figurines. Each one is about 3 centimetres (1.2 in) with a head that can be removed and placed onto the other bodies.
MGA continued to add additional characters to the Lalaloopsy toy line. As of February 2012 there were over 50 characters. The main toy line includes 13-inch Dolls, the mini-series, and a variety of mini play-sets and plush dolls as well as Lalaloopsy Littles, smaller siblings of the 13-inch dolls.
In March 2012 a new line of mini Lalaloopsy's called "Shoppes" were announced. Their names are Cherry Crisp Crust, Jelly Wiggle Jiggle, Bun Bun Sticky Icing, and Scoops Waffle Cone. A new mini doll, Sprouts Sunshine, was released through Target in the spring of 2012
In March 2012, Nick Jr. broadcast the movie special "Adventures in Lalaloopsy Land: The Search for Pillow.". A few months after airing, Nick Jr. aired more Lalaloopsy movie specials, along with a Lala-Oopsies special. In March 2013, Lalaloopsy premiered on Nickelodeon. Shortly after the show's premiere, the rest of the series was "burned off" on sister channel Nick Jr.
- Susan Hale (July 19, 2010). "MGA Entertainment Invites You to Enter the Magical World of Bitty Buttons". prnewswire. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- "Lalaloopsy, Winner of People's Play Awards!" (VIDEO). Dec 7, 2010. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- "Chris Byrne with Lalaloopsy and Legend of Nara on Live with Regis and Kelly" (VIDEO). Dec 8, 2010. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- "Gaga over Lalaloopsy Dolls" (VIDEO). The Early Show (CBS News). November 22, 2010. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- "Lalaloopsy doll this year's Tickle-me Elmo". prnewswire. November 22, 2010. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- Giove, Candice M. (November 21, 2010). "'Santa' claws out for doll". New York Post. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- Parija Kavilanz (December 21, 2010). "Google's hottest holiday searches". CNNMONEY.com. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- "Lalaloopsy & Mini-Lalaloopsy" (PDF). MGA Entertainment. February 13, 2011. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- "MGA Entertainment Licenses Worldwide Multi-Platform Videogame Rights for the Lalaloopsy™ Brand to Activision Publishing" (PDF). MGA Entertainment. June 13, 2011. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- "MINI LALALOOPSY™ DOLL TO COME WITH NINTENDO DS™ GAME". Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- "All-New Lalaloopsy™ Nurse Doll - Rosy Bumps ‘N’ Bruises™ - Teams Up with Red Cross this Holiday Season to Promote Blood Donations and Honor Nurses" (PDF). MGA Entertainment. November 16, 2011. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- Susan Hale (November 17, 2011). "MGA Launches Lalaloopsy(TM) Into the Entertainment Universe!". MGA Entertainment. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Facebook announcement". MGA Entertainment via Facebook. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "We made a Lala-oppsie — Lalaloopsy Littles will be arriving to Toys ‘R’ Us stores near you in early December". MGA Entertainment via Facebook. Retrieved November 18, 2011.