Lamar Waldron (born 1954) is an American writer and historian.
Biography and themes
He has compiled and woven together three exhaustively thorough volumes, on the following topics:
- the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy;
- American plans to overthrow or assassinate Cuban leader Fidel Castro;
- the 1968 assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.;
- the 1968 assassination of Robert F. Kennedy;
- the history of the Watergate scandal;
- the unknown and covered up connections of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Central Intelligence Agency to the above;
- the connections of organized crime to the above.
Waldron partnered with radio talk show host Thom Hartmann to produce the 2005 book Ultimate Sacrifice: John and Robert Kennedy, the Plan for a Coup in Cuba, and the Murder of JFK. The research for the book extended over a 20-year period.
Waldron kept the partnership with Hartmann and extended their 2005 work in a new volume using many sources which had recently been declassified. This 2008 book (2009 trade paperback even more extensive), Legacy of Secrecy: The Long Shadow of the JFK Assassination, is currently being made into a movie by Warner Brothers, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, slated for release late in 2013, to mark the 50th anniversary of JFK's death. In a review for Vanity Fair, Rob Sheffield wrote: "The book gets infinitely more chaotic when it moves on to the Robert F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. assassinations, trying to make all the pieces fit together into a theory of everything. You really have to use the index and jump around from chapter to chapter to follow the plot, checking the 2,000 end notes along the way."
Waldron's most recent book: Watergate: The Hidden History: Nixon, The Mafia, and The CIA, is the most thorough description of the Watergate scandal yet seen. It was published in June 2012, on the 40th anniversary of the scandal's beginning.
- Ultimate Sacrifice: John and Robert Kennedy, the Plan for a Coup in Cuba, and the Murder of JFK, by Lamar Waldron with Thom Hartmann, 2005, Carroll & Graf, ISBN 978-1-84529-338-3.
- Legacy of Secrecy: The Long Shadow of the JFK Assassination, by Lamar Waldron with Thom Hartmann, trade paperback edition, 2009, Berkeley, California, Counterpoint publishers, ISBN 978-1-58243-535-0.
- Watergate: The Hidden History: Nixon, The Mafia, and The CIA, by Lamar Waldron, 2012, Berkeley, California, Counterpoint publishers, ISBN 978-1-58243-813-9.
- From Legacy of Secrecy trade paperback edition's volume verso information
- Waldron, Lamar (December 1, 2005). ""Ultimate Sacrifice": An excerpt". http://www.salon.com. Salon. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- Sheffield, Rob (November 21, 2008). "Legacy of Mystery". Vanity Fair. Retrieved August 9, 2014.