Lancashire County Council
|Lancashire County Council|
|First Past the Post|
|2 May 2013|
|County Hall, Preston, England|
Lancashire County Council is the upper-tier local authority for the non-metropolitan county of Lancashire, England. It consists of 84 councillors, and is under no overall control as of the Lancashire County Council election, 2013, after four years of Conservative control and 20 years of Labour control. The council has 39 Labour Party councillors, 35 Conservative Party councillors, 6 Liberal Democrats, three independents and 1 Green Party councillor.
The Council leader, County Councillor Jenny Mein, chairs a cabinet of eight councillors - the others being Azhar Ali, David Borrow (also Deputy Leader), John Fillis, Janice Hanson, Marcus Johnstone, Tony Martin and Matthew Tomlinson. The eight cabinet members each have responsibility for particular functions of the council. The Chief Executive is Jo Turton who was appointed in February 2014 and heads the Council's 40,000-strong workforce.
The council was established in 1889 under the Local Government Act 1888, covering the administrative county. It was reconstituted under the Local Government Act 1972 to cover a different territory. In the 1990s, Blackburn with Darwen and Blackpool left the area covered by the council.
Elections are held every four years.
|Election||Number of councillors elected by each political party|
|Conservative||Labour||Liberal Democrats||Independent||Green Party||BNP||Idle Toad|
|Election||Party in control|
|2013||No overall control|
|1981||No overall control|
- Declared result for election held on 4 June 2009 Lancashire County Council - URL accessed 5 June 2009]
- Red rose county turns Tory blue bbc.co.uk URL accessed 5 June 2009
- "Labour to form minority administration on Lancashire County Council". BBC. 2013-05-22. Retrieved 2014-02-25.
- "Jo Turton appointed as county council Chief Executive". Lancashire County Council. 2014-02-20. Retrieved 2014-02-25.
- "Lancashire election result 2009". BBC. 2009-06-05. Retrieved 2009-09-16.