|Birth name||Lance Ellington|
|Born||22 June 1957|
|Genres||Pop, jazz, swing, soul|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, actor|
Lance Ellington (born 22 June 1957, London, England) is an English singer, songwriter and actor. Ellington, the only son of the band leader Ray Ellington, specialises in swing and big ballads. He has worked with many artists including Sting, George Michael, Michael Jackson and Robbie Williams; and currently makes regular performances on the BBC programme Strictly Come Dancing.
Ellington and his sister Nina were brought up in Finchley by their parents, Ray Ellington and the actress and BBC Blue Peter presenter Anita West. His parents later divorced and both children moved to Central London to live with their mother. At the age of 11, Ellington won a music scholarship – he played the trombone – to Kingham Hill School.
After leaving school, Ellington entered and won the 1977 final of the television talent show New Faces with the duo Koffee 'n' Kreme with singing partner Beth Hannah. He followed this with a tour with Johnny Mathis and a performance in the Royal Variety Show. His career continued as a session singer with many top artists and working on several albums.
In 1993 his single, "Lonely (Have We Lost Our Love)", peaked at number 57 in the UK Singles Chart. Ellington's solo career includes studio albums, stage and club appearances and writing songs for Steps and Westlife. In 2004, he appeared as his late father in the film The Life and Death of Peter Sellers and, in 1993, sang a duet with Cathy Dennis on the soundtrack of Robin Hood: Men in Tights. In 2012, Ellington was the resident vocalist on Strictly Come Dancing. In the same year he featured with Mary Carewe as soloists in the James Bond Bond 50th Anniversary Gala Concert, which was broadcast on BBC Radio 4 and shown on BBC television in December 2012.
- Pleasure and Pain – A&M Records (1990)
- Lessons in Love – Vocalion Records (2005)
- There Comes A Time – Artemis Records (2007)
- Aspects of Ellington – Upbeat Recordings (2012)
Singles and EPs
- "Love Scared" – A&M Records (1990)
- "Treat Me Right" – A&M Records (1990)
- "Love Me More" – A&M Records (12") (1990)
- "Don't Ever Leave Me Again" – A&M Records (12", Promo) (1990)
- "I'm Falling Too" (12") – Club House featuring Lance Ellington – Media Records (1992)
- "Lonely (Have We Lost Our Love)" – RCA Records (1993) – UK No. 57
- "Gimme Love" – Media Records Ltd (1994)
- "Gimme Love" / "Change The Way" (12") – Lance Ellington / Maria Short – Pro DJ International (1994)
- "Lonely '96" – East Side Records (1996)
- EVO (15) featuring Lance Ellington – "Summer Beach" (CD promo) – Interscope Digital Distribution (2011)
- He sang backing vocals on the song The Golden Boy recorded in 1987 for the album Barcelona with Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballé.
- "Lance Ellington Home Page". Lanceellington.com. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "Strictly Presents". Strictly Presents. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- Frances Hardy (19 December 2008). "Strictly secret! Heartache of the man behind the hit show's magic music | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "Any idea for finding the singers name (My world keeps getting smaller everyday)". Discomusic.com. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 182. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Lance Ellington". IMDb.com. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "BBC Four – James Bond 50th Anniversary Gala Concert". Bbc.co.uk. 26 December 2012. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "Lance Ellington – Music Biography, Credits and Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "Lance Ellington Discography at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "Backing vocals of Lance Ellington".