|First appearance||Captain Britain Weekly #19
(February 16, 1977)
|Created by||Gary Friedrich (writer)
Herb Trimpe (pencils)
|Team affiliations||Royal Navy
|Abilities||Trained special agent
Spy and munitions expert
Lance Hunter is a fictional character within the Marvel Comics Universe. He first appeared in Captain Britain Weekly #19 (February 16, 1977) and was created by Gary Friedrich. Hunter is a Royal Navy Commander who became Director of S.T.R.I.K.E. before later gaining the rank of Commodore and becoming Joint Intelligence Committee Chair.
Created by Gary Friedrich, and first penciled by Herb Trimpe, Hunter made his debut in Captain Britain Weekly #19 on February 16, 1977. He was the UK, and S.T.R.I.K.E., counterpart to Marvel's Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.. Hunter continued to appear within the pages of Captain Britain Weekly throughout the rest of 1977 but would not appear on panel again until 30 years later in the Civil War: Battle Damage Report one-shot in 2007.
Fictional character biography
After Tod Radcliffe, a Special Tactical Reserve for International Key Emergencies traitor secretly working for the Red Skull, was exposed, Commander Lance Hunter introduced himself as the Director of S.T.R.I.K.E. to Nick Fury. The agents of S.T.R.I.K.E. and S.H.I.E.L.D. worked together to track down the Red Skull's Nazi activities. It was then revealed that Red Skull had kidnapped the British Prime Minister, James Callaghan and had set a germ bomb over London to be detonated at midnight. Hunter, aided by Fury and the pair's respective superheroes, Captain Britain and Captain America, stopped the bomb which had been placed on the minute hand of the Big Ben and thwarted the Red Skull's plans.
Hunter aided Captain Britain in the capture of villain Lord Hawk, and took the injured hero to S.T.R.I.K.E. headquarters to recover. However, while there Captain Britain's spirit was summoned away by Merlin where he did battle with a monstrous giant. Injuries suffered in this spirit realm transferred to the Captain's real body. Hunter ordered the doctors to keep working to save the stricken hero. When Hunter finally admitted defeat at the bed side of Captain Britain's lifeless body, the Captain returned to the real world and left the base.
Sometime after S.T.R.I.K.E. was dissolved, Hunter gained the rank of commodore and was seen alongside Contessa Valentina Allegro de Fontaine, and Alistaire Stuart briefing British superhumans on the details of the British Superhuman Registration Act. Following the Skrull invasion of Earth, and the revelation that the then-Joint Intelligence Committee chair person was in fact a Skrull impostor, Hunter was made the new JIC Chair.
Hunter agreed to let S.H.I.E.L.D. European Division take charge of the cleanup when Mys-Tech was defeated, as MI-13 didn't have the resources. He approved keeping MI-13 out of the loop entirely, which infuriated Pete Wisdom when he found out. 
Powers and abilities
In other media
Lance Hunter appears as a regular character in the second season of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., portrayed by Nick Blood. He debuted in the season two premiere, "Shadows", as a mercenary who is working for Phil Coulson's reconstituted S.H.I.E.L.D. in a team under the leadership of his old acquaintance Isabelle Hartley. "Heavy is the Head" reveals that he was a decorated member of SAS prior to going freelance. At the end of the episode, Coulson formally recruits him into S.H.I.E.L.D. In "A Hen in the Wolf House", Hunter is revealed to have been previously married to Bobbi Morse.
- Civil War: Battle Damage Report 1 (2007), Marvel Comics
- Noted on Paul Cornell's canon Captain Britain Twitter. "new JIC Chair, head of Brit intelligence, appointed: Lance Hunter. Good man. We go way back. We hear about new MI5 Director tomorrow." 12:52 AM Jan 10th from web
- Captain Britain Weekly #19 (February 16, 1977) - Gary Friedrich (writer), Herb Trimpe (pencils)
- Captain Britain Weekly #20-23 (February 3rd-March 16th, 1977) - Gary Friedrich (writer), Herb Trimpe (pencils), Fred Kida (inks), Larry Lieber (editor)
- Captain Britain Weekly #24-27 (March 23rd-April 13th, 1977) - Gary Friedrich & Larry Lieber (writers), John Buscema (pencils), Tom Palmer (#24, 26-27) & Fred Kida (#25) (inks), Larry Lieber (editor)
- Captain Britain Weekly #32-35 (1977) - Gary Friedrich & Larry Lieber (writers), Ron Wilson (pencils), Bob Budiansky & Fred Kida (inks), Larry Lieber (editor)
- Captain Britain Weekly #37 (1977) - Larry Lieber, Bob Budiansky & Len Wein (writers), Ron Wilson (pencils), Pablo Marcos (inks), Larry Lieber (editor)
- Revolutionary War: Alpha by Andy Lanning, Alan Cowsill and Rich Elson (2014)
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z vol. #2 (May 2008)
- Excalibur vol. 2 #1 (2001).
- Abrams, Natalie (July 25, 2014). "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Reveals New Characters, Carter Adds Captain Directors". TV Guide. Archived from the original on July 25, 2014. Retrieved July 25, 2014.