Land O' Lakes High School
|Land O' Lakes High School|
|Established||July 3, 1975|
|Type||Public high school|
|Asst. Principal||Richard Batchelor, Kathryn Leeper, Amy Riddle, Shawn Hohenthaner, Jeff Morgenstein (International Baccalaureate)|
|Location||20325 Gator Lane,
Land O' Lakes, Florida, USA
|Athletics||Baseball, Basketball Boys, Basketball Girls, Cheerleading, Cross-Country, Football, Golf Boys, Golf Girls, Soccer Boys, Soccer Girls, Softball Varsity, Swimming & Diving Boys, Swimming & Diving Girls, Tennis Boys, Tennis Girls, Track Boys, Track Girls, Volleyball Varsity, Weightlifting Boys, Weightlifting Girls, Wrestling Varsity|
|Emblem||A Wading Gator|
|Newspaper||The Gator Gazette|
Land O' Lakes High School is a four-year public high school in Land O' Lakes, Florida. It is a part of the Pasco County Schools District in Pasco County. The school mascot is the Fighting Gators.
Construction of Land O' Lakes High School began in 1973. Leroy McClain was named principal and began hiring staff. Because of critical overcrowding across the county due to a population jump, classes were held in double sessions at nearby Sanders Memorial Elementary School while the school was being built. When the school finally opened two years later, it served 1,400 students in grades 7 through 12. Five years later, Pine View Middle School was built to hold grades 6 through 8. From 2003 to 2007, Land O' Lakes operated on a 10-period bell schedule to ease crowding with most freshmen attending classes from 10:25 AM to 4:45 PM and sophomores, juniors and seniors attending from 7:35 a.m. to 2 p.m.. This was discontinued in 2007, when Sunlake High School opened.
The class of 2008 was the largest graduating class in school history, with nearly 600 graduates.
Ric Mellin, formerly the principal of J.W. Mitchell High School, became the school's sixth principal in March 2009. Mellin replaced Monica Ilse who was appointed principal of the new Anclote High School in Holiday, Florida (opened in August 2009).
In 2005, the school received a grade of A from the state of Florida for the first time. It was also the first time a high school in Pasco County received the ranking. That same year, the school made a list of the top 1,000 high schools in the country in an issue of Newsweek Magazine. The school was listed as number 312. In 2006 and 2007, the school had kept its A grade and had remained on Newsweek's annual list of the top high schools. In 2008, the school once again remained on the list. The school also received an A grade for 2009. In 2012, Land O' Lakes High School named the Football Stadium after Legendary Coach John Benedetto who led the Gators to 14 Consecutive State Playoffs.
Land O' Lakes High School is one of two high schools in Pasco County to offer the IB Diploma Programme, the other being Gulf High School. High school students in Central and East Pasco attend Land O' Lakes High School for the IB Programme. This program draws exclusive demands from teachers and students. (IB is also offered at Gulf High School for students in West Pasco.) 
Attendance policy controversy
In 2007 more than 100 juniors and seniors were banned from attending prom due to an attendance policy that states that if students have more than six absences in a quarter or 10 in a semester, they will lose the privilege of participating in extracurricular activities. This is a district rule enforced by all other schools in Pasco County. Many students affected by this rule claimed that it was not enforced before and were allowed to attend homecoming, even with excessive absences. They tried to start a petition and tried to organize their own prom. 
- Jeff Baisley, baseball player drafted by Oakland Athletics in 2005 out of the University of South Florida
- Logan Payne, wide-receiver for the Baltimore Ravens
- Drew Weatherford, class of 2004. Named all-American by ESPN on November, 2006. Former starting quarterback for Florida State University and Former quarterback for Tampa Bay Storm.
- Will W. Weatherford, State of Florida House of Representatives
- Derek Thompson, baseball player drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 1st round of the 2000 Major League Baseball Draft.
- Stacy Bishop, current professional soccer player for the Atlanta Beat.
- Cory Doyne, Former MLB player (Baltimore Orioles)
- Brandi Cunningham, Rock of Love with Bret Michaels (season_1)
- Jaime Santana, Assistant Coach Jacksonville Breeze
Land O' Lakes High School Today
Nancy Browning, who was hired when the school opened in 1975, is still at the school. Many alumni have returned as teachers. LOLHS houses approximately 1,520 students in grades 9 through 12.
- History of Land O' Lakes High School
- "Pasco board approves principal for Land O'Lakes High - Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- "15,000 fill Pasco football field to see Mitt Romney - Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. 2012-10-28. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- Land O' Lakes High School (Florida) Academic Information Overview
- "Local News | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater and Sarasota | WTSP.com 10 News". Tampabays10.com. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- MyFox Tampa Bay | Policy says no prom for Pasco seniors