Land reclamation in Hong Kong
The reclamation of land from the sea has long been used in mountainous Hong Kong to ameliorate the limited supply of usable land. The first reclamations can be traced back to the early Western Han Dynasty (206 BCE – 9 CE), when beaches were turned into fields for salt production. Major land reclamation projects have been conducted since the mid-19th century.
One of the earliest and best-known modern projects was the Praya Reclamation Scheme, which added 50 to 60 acres (240,000 m2) of land in 1890 during the second phase of construction. It was one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken during the Colonial Hong Kong era.
Much reclamation has taken place in prime locations on the waterfront on both sides of Victoria Harbour. This has raised environmental issues of the protection of the harbour which was once the source of prosperity of Hong Kong, traffic congestion in the Central district, as well as the collusion of the Hong Kong Government with the real estate developers in the territory.
Sha Tin New Town under development in the late 1970s
Hong Kong Disneyland Resort under construction (October 2004)
The airport platform of Hong Kong International Airport in 2010
- Land reclamations of the People's Republic of China
- Praya East Reclamation Scheme (1921-1931)
- Central and Wan Chai Reclamation (since the 1990s)
- Society for Protection of the Harbour
- EIA: A survey report of Historical Buildings and Structures within the Project Area of the Central Reclamation Phase III, Chan Sui San Peter for the HK Government, February 2001
- Bard, Solomon (2002). Voices from the past: Hong Kong, 1842-1918. Hong Kong University Press. ISBN 978-962-209-574-8.
- Wordie, Jason (April 18, 1999). "Land-grabbing titans who changed HK's profit for good". Hong Kong Standard. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
- "Courts protect our imperiled waterway - at least for the time being". Hong Kong Standard. August 14, 2006. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- DeGolyer, Michael (March 15, 2007). "Commentary: Just Looking for Answers". Hong Kong Standard. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- Ng, Michael (October 5, 2006). "Lawmaker warns of West Kowloon arts venue glut". Hong Kong Standard. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- Wallis, Keith (February 12, 1996). "Bill seeks to protect harbour". Hong Kong Standard. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Land reclamation in Hong Kong.|
- Enhancing Land Supply Strategy
- Reclamation History
- Maps of the reclamations
- Detailed list of historical land reclamation projects in Hong Kong (Chinese)
- Chen Yu, "Transformation of waterfront space in Asian cities: Macau, Hong Kong, Shanghai", National University of Singapore, 2009
- "Enhancing Land Supply Strategy: Reclamation Outside Victoria Harbour and Rock Cavern Development"