|Full name||Alfred M. Landon|
|Former names||Sunflower State Expo|
|Opened||April 17, 1987|
|Owner||Shawnee County, Kansas|
7,777 (Ice Hockey)
|Kansas Koyotes (CPIFL) (2003-present)
Topeka Roadrunners (NAHL) (2007-present)
Topeka Sizzlers (CBA) (1987-1990)
Topeka ScareCrows (CHL) (1998-2001)
Topeka Knights (IFL) (1999-2000)
Topeka Kings (IFL) (2000)
Topeka Tarantulas (CHL) (2004-2005)
2011 NAHL Robertson Cup
Landon Arena, better known as the Kansas Expocentre, is a 10,000-seat multi-purpose arena built in 1987 in Topeka, Kansas. It is currently home to the Kansas Koyotes indoor football team and the Topeka Roadrunners ice hockey team. Previously, Topeka Sizzlers of the Continental Basketball Association, Topeka Tarantulas and Topeka ScareCrows ice hockey teams played there. Many other shows, including concerts, perform here.
It has hosted the Kansas State High School Activities Association Class 5A boys and girls state basketball tournaments since its opening, and the KSHSAA Class 5A and 6A volleyball state championships since 1992. The arena also hosts the USA Wrestling Kansas Kids state championship tournament every March.
Landon Arena is the main part of the Kansas Expocentre. Other areas include Exhibition Hall, a building for trade shows, and Domer Arena, a livestock/horse show arena.
Landon Arena contains 7,450 fixed seats, with 2,550+ floor seats. The arena is climate controlled and features computerized lighting, closed circuit TV security, a state-of-the-art sound system, 13-foot (4.0 m) drive-in entrance, plenty of power, and built-in ice capabilities.
The 80-acre (320,000 m2) site in the center of Topeka now known as the Kansas Expocentre has a long history of use for activities related to agriculture, farming, exhibitions, education and entertainment.
Landon Arena - named for Kansas' elder statesman, Governor Alfred M. Landon (1887-1987) was built 1987. To tie the old buildings to the new facilities, an indoor passageway was constructed between the conference center and exhibit hall.
It hosted the first Expocentre event with nearly 9,000 people attending a Topeka Sizzlers basketball game.
The Grand Opening of the Kansas Expocentre was on April 17, 1987 with a sold-out concert featuring Kenny Rogers, T. Graham Brown and Ronnie Milsap.
Landon Arena has been the venue for many concerts, family shows, trade shows, consumer shows, horse shows, dog shows and all kinds of exhibitions.
- Concert performers have included KISS, Bob Dylan, My Chemical Romance, Aerosmith, Rush, Primus, Cher, Rise Against, Carrie Underwood, Little Big Town, Avenged Sevenfold, Buckcherry & Papa Roach. Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Eric Church
- It has also hosted some wrestling shows such as WWE Raw, ECW, WWE Friday Night SmackDown, and Total Nonstop Action Wrestling house shows.
- Ice Shows include Disney on Ice & High School Musical: The Concert Tour.
- Other Disney shows include Disney Live! Winnie the Pooh, Playhouse Disney Live! & My Little Pony Live.
- The arena also hosts The Arab Shrine Circus each year.
- "ksexpo.com". Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- "ksexpo.com Expocentre Facilities.". Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- "Kansas Expocentre History.". Retrieved 2009-03-16.
|This article about a sports venue in Kansas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|