Landover Hills, Maryland
|Landover Hills, Maryland|
|Motto: "Maryland with Pride"|
Location of Landover Hills, Maryland
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||0.30 sq mi (0.78 km2)|
|• Land||0.30 sq mi (0.78 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||164 ft (50 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,768|
|• Density||5,623.3/sq mi (2,171.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0597656|
|Website||Town of Landover Hills, Maine|
Landover Hills was incorporated in 1945.
Landover Hills is located at 38°56'36" North, s76°53'27" West (38.943244, -76.890811).
- Woodlawn (northwest)
- Landover (south)
- East Riverdale (northeast)
- New Carrollton (northeast)
- Bladensburg (west)
- District of Columbia (west)
At the 2000 census, the median income for a household in the town was $55,313, and the median income for a family was $55,938. Males had a median income of $31,842 versus $32,464 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,779. About 10.1% of families and 11.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.7% of those under age 18 and 6.2% of those age 65 or over.
The town's fire department is a combination career/volunteer fire department and operates an engine company, a BLS ambulance, an ALS medic unit, and a medical ambulance bus.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,687 people, 496 households, and 381 families residing in the town. The population density was 5,623.3 inhabitants per square mile (2,171.2/km2). There were 549 housing units at an average density of 1,830.0 per square mile (706.6/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 22.1% White, 43.3% African American, 1.4% Native American, 1.4% Asian, 27.4% from other races, and 4.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 40.8% of the population.
There were 496 households of which 48.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.4% were married couples living together, 21.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.3% had a male householder with no wife present, and 23.2% were non-families. 19.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.40 and the average family size was 3.78.
The median age in the town was 31.3 years. 29.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 10% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 31.9% were from 25 to 44; 23.4% were from 45 to 64; and 5.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 50.1% male and 49.9% female.
- Mayor: Lee P. Walker
- City Council:
- Michael Thompson
- William Kley
- Robert Bullock
- John Michael McAllister
- Jeanette M. Ripley
- Sara Washington
- Judge Sylvania S. Woods Elementary School (Pre K-6)
- Cooper Lane Elementary School (Pre K-6)
- Glenridge Elementary School (Pre K-6)
- Kenmoor Elementary School (Pre K-6)
- Kenmoor Middle School (7-8)
- Charles Carroll Middle School (7-8)
- Thomas G. Pullen K-8 Creative and Performing Arts Focus School (K-8)
- Parkdale High School (9-12)
- Bladensburg High School (9-12)
Private schools in Landover Hills are:
- Ascension Lutheran School (K-8th grade)
- Saint Mary's School (Catholic; preschool-8th grade)
- New Hope Academy (3yrs-12th grade)
The Landover Hills Police Department (LHPD) is the primary law enforcement agency servicing the municipality. The LHPD is assisted by the Prince George's County Police and Sheriff's Office as directed by authority. The current chief of police is (Col.) Henry George Norris Jr. The agency also doubles as the town code enforcement when needed.
- "Town of Landover Hills, Maine". Town of Landover Hills, Maine. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Landover Hills, Maryland
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Landover Hills town, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- [h http://www.city-data.com/city/Landover-Hills-Maryland.html "Landover Hills, Maryland"]. City-Data.com. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Landover Hills, Maryland
- "Prince George’s County Public Schools". Prince George’s County Public Schools. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Landover Hills, Maryland.|
- Town of Landover Hills official website
- Landover Hills Police Department
- Prince George’s County Public Schools