Landsborough Pub, opposite the Landsborough railway station
|LGA(s)||Sunshine Coast Region|
|State electorate(s)||Glass House|
Landsborough is a small town on the Sunshine Coast hinterland of Queensland, Australia. It is situated north of the Glasshouse Mountains just off Steve Irwin Way, 82 km north of Brisbane at the base of the southern end of the Blackall Range. At the 2006 census, Landsborough had a population of 2,805.
Landsborough is situated on the main railway line from Brisbane and there are several services daily southbound to Brisbane and northbound to Nambour and Gympie. It is one of the main rail/bus interchanges for TransLink bus services to the Sunshine Coast.
Landsborough was named for the British born explorer William Landsborough who was the first European to cross Australia north to south. The earliest European settlers arrived in the area in 1871. Originally called Mellum Creek ("mellum is Aboriginal for "volcano"), it dates from 1871 when Isaac Burgess erected a slab hut with bark roof as "port of call" for Cobb and Co coaches stopping for refreshments and a change of horses.
In the past Landsborough was one of the larger towns of the Sunshine Coast having a large logging industry. In comparison beachside Caloundra was a fishing village to its east, as opposed to the larger popular tourist destination it is today.
Landsborough has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- Cribb Street: Public Air Raid Shelter at Landsborough Railway Station
- 6 Maleny Street: Landsborough Shire Council Chambers (former)
- Steve Irwin Way: North Coast Roadside Rest Areas
Landsborough today is a popular tourism stop off due to the fact it is the first stop and is often regarded as the Gateway to the hinterland Tourist Trail. Landsborough today features parks and playgrounds, such as Pioneer park. There is a museum located in the town which contains a large number of historical artefacts from the local area. Landsborough's economy mostly derives from small businesses, with many cafés and small eateries. The Landsborough railway station provides access to Brisbane, Nambour and Gympie via train and is the major bus transport hub for the coastal regions of the Sunshine Coast.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Landsborough (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 July 2008.
- Landsborough Entrypoint 8 December 2006
- "Public Air Raid Shelter at Landsborough Railway Station (entry 514)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "Landsborough Shire Council Chambers (former) (entry 16651)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "North Coast Roadside Rest Areas (entry 30336)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- Landsborough Historial Museum
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Landsborough, Queensland.|
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Landsborough and Landsborough Shire
- Landsborough Historical Museum
- Landsborough Town services directory