Langham Creek High School
|Langham Creek High School|
|17610 FM 529
Houston, TX 77095
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||The Power of the Pack is the Lobo. The Power of the Lobo is the Pack.|
|School district||Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District|
|Principal||Mr. David Hughes|
|Enrollment||3,227 (as of 2014)|
|Color(s)||Red & Black|
|Athletics conference||University Interscholastic League|
|Website||Langham Creek High School website|
Langham Creek High School is a high school located near Cypress, which is an unincorporated community in Harris County, Texas, near Houston. Langham Creek, which was established in 1984, is part of the Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District. Several communities, including Concord Bridge, Northglen, Copper Lakes, and parts of the Copperfield subdivision, are zoned to the school. Langham Creek was the fourth senior high school in the growing school district. At the time it was the largest two story building in the state of Texas. In order to accommodate students by not transferring seniors and even juniors, the first year of Langham Creek was actually held in what is currently Labay middle school. It housed a freshman and sophomore class, as well as an eighth grade class and was considered Langham Creek Interim High School. Since the eighth grade class was not technically a high school class, all eighth grade class rooms and activities were separated from the other classes. This was during the 1984 - 1985 school year while the current building was being completed. The following year, the doors were opened to the brand new building with three classes, freshmen, sophomores and juniors. There was not a senior class in the first year of the building being opened, the first seniors to graduate from Langham Creek was the class of 1987.
The mascot is the "lobo", Spanish for "wolf", and the school's motto is "The Power of the Pack is the Lobo. The Power of the Lobo is the Pack." The "lobo" mascot may have been selected as an homage to the red wolves that were hunted for bounty in the area during the 1950s and 1960s. Carcasses of the wolves were strung along the fences at the nearby intersection of FM 529 and State Highway 6, which became known as Wolf Corner.
- Principal: David Hughes
- Associate Principal: Susan Nolen
Schools that feed into Langham Creek include:
- Elementary schools: Copeland, Holmsley, Lowery, Metcalf, Birkes (partial), Jowell (partial), Tipps (partial)
- Middle schools: Anthony (partial), Aragon (partial), Kahla (partial)
- The Langham Creek HS Computer Science Team won the TCEA Large School State Championship seven times (1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999).
- The Langham Creek HS Computer Science Team won the UIL 5A State Championship three times (1992, 1993, 1999).
The Langham Creek High School Band has made UIL sweepstakes for the past 25 years. They have also advanced to every UIL 5A Texas State Marching Band contest for the past eighteen years, placing top 10 in 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006. In 2002 and 2006 the Langham Creek High School Symphonic Band won the Texas UIL Honor Band Competition.
- Bert Emanuel (1989) - Former NFL Wide Receiver
- Riff Raff (2000) - Rapper signed to Diplo's Mad Decent Record Label
- Jamar Williams (2002) - NFL Linebacker for Chicago Bears and Carolina Panthers
- Kelechi Osemele (2007) - NFL Offensive Lineman for the Baltimore Ravens
- "High School Attendance Zones 2011-2012 (PDF)" "Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District". Accessed April 13, 2012.
- Big Bad Wolves No More/A Houston suburban corner was once a hunting ground
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program, Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002 (PDF)
- "." Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District.
- "Lobo Band". Langham Creek Band. Retrieved 2012-12-28.
- Cypress-Fairbanks ISD
- Langham Creek High School
- Langham Creek Lobo Band
- Langham Creek Lobo Choir
- Langham Creek Lobo Orchestra
- Langham Creek Air Force Junior ROTC
- Langham Creek Baseball
- Langham Creek Boys' Track
- Langham Creek Ice Hockey/Fair Creek Hockey