Langley Park (Western Australia)
Langley Park is an open space in the central business district of Perth, Western Australia. Running alongside Riverside Drive, it is grassed, rectangular in shape and has dimensions 900 x 100 m (3000 x 300 ft). It was created by reclaiming land from the adjacent Swan River between 1921 and 1935, to provide open space near the city.
As a pioneer of civil aviation in Western Australia, Major Norman Brearley used the park as an airstrip in the 1920s. That tradition continues with "fly-ins", where small aircraft land in the park. In 2003, to celebrate 100 years of powered flight, 10 aircraft – one representing each decade of the 20th century – landed. Aircraft have also used the park to perform emergency landings. In 1997 a Tiger Moth TMK had an engine failure and put down in the park. While not an official airfield, Langley Park makes Perth a place where fixed-wing aircraft can land in proximity to the central business district.
Langley Park's location makes it a popular place to view the annual Lotterywest Skyworks, which are held over the river. The Telstra Rally Australia World Rally Championship held events at the park for 11 years from 1992 to 2002, and once more in 2005.
Cirque du Soleil has used the park many times to set up its big top for its shows whenever a big top touring production visits Australia. Shows performed at Langley park are: Saltimbanco, Alegria, Quidam, Dralion, Ovo.
- www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au Langley Park. Accessed 21 March 2006
- www.airliners.net Aviation Photos: Langley Park, Perth. Accessed 21 March 2006
- Werner Buhlmann, Royal Aero Club of WA, Centenary of Aviation Fly In (PDF), Sport Aircraft Builders Club, retrieved 11 January 2014
- "Centenary of Flight, Langley Park Fly-In - 29th April 2003". Sport Aircraft Builders Club. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Langley Park fly-in: Commemorating 100 years of Aviation.". 26 April 2003. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Two Die As Old Plane Crashes" by John Townsend, The West Australian, 2 March 1998
- www.discoverwest.com.au Interesting Facts Did you know?. Accessed 21 March 2006
- www.rallyaustralia.com.au Telstra Rally Australia – Pulse Racing Horse Power!. Accessed 21 March 2006
- www.rallyaustralia.com.au The Road Ahead for 2005. Accessed 21 March 2006