Lanier High School (Jackson, Mississippi)
|Lanier High School|
"Enhancing Today's Minds to Lead Tomorrow's Future."
|833 West Maple Street
|School district||Jackson Public School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Cedric Gray|
|Color(s)||Maroon and White|
|Feeder schools||Brinkley Middle School
Rowan Middle School
Lanier High School is a high school in Jackson, Mississippi (USA). The current principal of Lanier High School is Eric Johnson. There were a total of 872 students enrolled in Lanier High during the 2006–2007 school year. The gender makeup of the district was 52% female and 48% male. The racial makeup of the school is 100.00% African American.
The following schools feed into Lanier High School.
- Middle Schools
- Brinkley Middle School
- Rowan Middle School
- Elementary Schools
- Brown Elementary School
- Dawson Elementary School
- Galloway Elementary School
- Johnson Elementary School
- Smith Elementary School
- Walton Elementary School
The JPS district announced a rezoning plan that included schools like Bailey, Callaway, Lanier, Murrah, Northwest, and other schools around the schools around the district. Bailey Magnet students moved to either Callaway, Lanier, or Murrah high schools for the APAC program due to overcrowding in some schools. Other programs shifted to other schools like Montessori and International Bacaluarreate. Regular schools have also rezoned.
- Monta Ellis, NBA player on the Dallas Mavericks.
- Richard Wright (author), renowned African-American author, attended Lanier but dropped out to earn money for his family
- "Superintendent". Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Jackson Public Schools". Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Mississippi Assessment and Accountability Reporting System". Office of Research and Statistics, Mississippi Department of Education.
- Feeder Patterns – Jackson Public Schools.
- Rayson, Ann. "Richard Wright's Life." Modern American Poetry. Nelson, Cary and Brinkman, Bartholomew, eds. Department of English, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign: 2001.