Lanphier High School
|Lanphier High School|
|1300 North 11th Street
Springfield, Illinois 62702
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Springfield School District 186|
|Superintendent||Walter Milton, Jr.|
|Faculty||70.8 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1297 (as of 2005-06)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.3|
|Color(s)||Black & Orange|
|Athletics conference||Central State Eight|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Team name||Lions (Boys) / Lady Lions (Girls)|
|Newspaper||The Lanphier Roar|
Lanphier High School, in the capital of the U.S. state of Illinois, Springfield, is a public high school affiliated with Springfield Public School District 186. It is also the home of the John Marshall Club, a club with open membership dedicated to uniting the community and spreading the knowledge of former supreme court justice, John Marshall.
Originally, the land that the high school was built on was owned by the Lanphier family. Originally the land was a park called Reservoir Park, in which many people would go during the summer. After the park was sold to the school district, the actual building of the school became a part of the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
The first graduating class of the high school was in 1937.
The biggest expansion of the school was the Edison Junior High School. There was a walkway that connected the two schools. During the 1960s, the two buildings were combined to make the high school much larger. Some of the most recent modifications are the Commons Area, as well as a couple classrooms on the West end of the school. Because of these additions, the student body has increased in size as well.
- Andre Iguodala- NBA player for the Golden State Warriors
- Kevin Gamble- NBA Player for the Boston Celtics
- Russ Smith- Producer Oscar Winner Juno
- Tim Hulett- MLB player for the Chicago White Sox and Baltimore Orioles
- Robin Roberts (baseball)- MLB player for the Philadelphia Phillies Member of Major League Baseball Hall of Fame National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Mike McKenna, NHL goaltender, drafted by the Nashville Predators in the sixth round (172nd overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. Made his NHL debut in 2009 with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Ed Horton- NBA player for the Washington Wizards
- John G. Beechler- U.S. Army, Silver Star Recipient, Korea 1953 http://www2.illinois.gov/alplm/library/collections/oralhistory/veteransremember/koreanwar/pages/beechlerjohn.aspx
|This Illinois school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|