Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel
|Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel|
|Directed by||Bill Hannah|
|Presented by||Georgia Bonesteel|
|Country of origin||USA|
|No. of seasons||12|
|Executive producer(s)||Bob Royster|
|Location(s)||Eno Park, NC|
|Cinematography||Lynn McConnell, Todd Hall, Galen K. Black|
|Running time||27 minutes|
|Original channel||UNC-TV, PBS|
|Original run||1979 – Present|
Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel is a long-running "how to" show on PBS hosted by Georgia Bonesteel. The show debuted in 1979 on UNC-TV and has been on the air for over 30 years. The show shares different quilting techniques and styles from around the United States and the world.
The series shows viewers how to make quilts using a particular type of quilting known as lap quilting. Traditional quilting uses a hoop or frame which the fabric is stretched across. Lap quilting does not use a frame.
Viewers are shown various project ideas and different quilting and sewing techniques they can try at home. Tips and tricks are also provided, such as how often to replace the needle in their sewing machines.
The series was one of the first how-to shows produced by UNC-TV—along with The Woodwright's Shop—to be broadcast around the United States. The show has been broadcast on over 200 PBS stations across the country. This series was started after Bonesteel had been a guest on an early PBS series Sewing Is Fun.
Georgia Bonesteel is a quilting judge, author and host of the show. She has been the president of the International Quilt Association, which is involved in the history and art of quilting worldwide.
Bonesteel is credited with having invented lap quilting while teaching a class at Blue Ridge Community College in North Carolina. She has incorporated quilts in to the presentation at the national historic site Connemara Farms, the home of Pulitzer Prize winner Carl Sandburg. In 2005, Georgia Bonesteel acted as the executive producer for the documentary her son, Paul Bonesteel, produced titled, The Great American Quilt Revival.
In addition to hosting the show, Bonesteel has written a number of books on quilting.
- More lap quilting with Georgia Bonesteel (1985, Oxmoor House) — ISBN 978-0-8487-0634-0
- New ideas for lap quilting (1987, Oxmoor House) — ISBN 978-0-8487-0704-0
- Georgia Bonesteel's bright ideas for lap quilting (1990, Oxmoor House) — ISBN 978-0-8487-1003-3
- Great American Quilts 1991 (1991, Oxmoor House) — ISBN 978-0-8487-1033-0
- Georgia Bonesteel's patchwork potpourri (1997, University of North Carolina Press) — ISBN 978-0-8078-4660-5
- Georgia Bonesteel's Quiltmaking Legacy (2004, American Quilter's Society) — ISBN 978-1-57432-844-8
The show has had numerous guests that share their epertise in different quilting fields. Guests have included teacher Laura Wasilowski, thimble maker Tommie Jane Lane and quilting instructor Linda Taylor.
- "Lap Quilting With Georgia Bonesteel - Full Production Credits - NYTimes.com". New York Times. Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, Jr. September 2008. Retrieved 15 September 2010.
- Cox, Meg (2008). The Quilter's Catalog: A Comprehensive Resource Guide (illustrated ed.). Workman Publishing. p. 94. ISBN 978-0-7611-3881-5. OCLC 78989348. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- Penny Halgren (2004). "Longtime Quilter, Georgia Bonesteel Shares Her Secrets of Beautiful Quilts and Quilting". How To Quilt. Penny Halgren. Archived from the original on 2011-02-15. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel (host)". UNC-TV. University of North Carolina. 2010. Archived from the original on 2011-02-15. Retrieved 15 September 2010.
- Georgia Bonesteel (2010). "Georgia Bonesteel biography". georgiabonesteel.com. Archived from the original on 2011-02-15. Retrieved 15 September 2010.
- Reuther, Galen (2006). The Carl Sandburg Home: Connemara (illustrated ed.). Arcadia Publishing. p. 124. ISBN 978-0-7385-4276-8. OCLC 70867880. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel". UNC-TV. University of North Carolina. 2010. Archived from the original on 2011-02-15. Retrieved 15 September 2010.
- Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel at UNC-TV
.georgiabonesteel .com — Georgia Bonesteel's official website
- Georgia Bonesteel at the Internet Movie Database
- The Great American Quilt Revival (2005) at the Internet Movie Database