Lara Dutta Bhupathi
|Lara Dutta Bhupathi|
Dutta on the sets of Kaun Banega Crorepati in Nov 2012
16 April 1978 |
Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Height||173 cm (5 ft 8 in)|
|Spouse(s)||Mahesh Bhupathi (m. 2011)|
|Children||1 , Saira|
Lara Dutta Bhupathi (born 16 April 1978) is an Indian Bollywood actress who was crowned Miss Universe 2000. She made her Hindi debut in 2003 with the film Andaaz which was a box office success and won her a Filmfare Best Female Debut Award & Screen Best Female Debut Award. Dutta subsequently appeared in several comercially successful films, including Masti (2004), No Entry (2005), Kaal (2005), Bhagam Bhag (2006), Partner (2007), Housefull (2010) Chalo Dilli (2011). She has thus established herself as one of the leading actresses in the Hindi cinema and is a household name.
Dutta was born to a Punjabi father and an Anglo-Indian mother. Her father is Wing Commander L.K. Dutta (retired) and her mother is Jennifer Dutta. She also has two elder sisters, Sabrina, who serves in the Indian Air Force and younger sister Cheryl. Composer and DJ Nitin Sawhney is Dutta's cousin. The Dutta family moved to Bangalore in 1981 where she completed high school from St.Francis Xavier Girls' High School and the Frank Anthony Public School. Dutta graduated with a degree in economics and a minor in communications from the University of Mumbai. She is fluent in English and Hindi but can speak Punjabi, Kannada, and French.
Modelling career & pageantry (1995-2002)
Dutta won the annual Gladrags Megamodel competition in her native India in 1995, thus winning the right to enter the 1997 Miss Intercontinental Pageant, in which she took first place. Later, she was crowned Femina Miss India Universe in 2000. At Miss Universe 2000 in Cyprus, she achieved the highest score in the swimsuit competition and her finalist interview score was the highest individual score in any category in the history of the Miss Universe contest, as her interview saw a majority of the judges giving her the maximum 9.99 mark. After her final question, in which she delivered a defense of the Miss Universe contest (and other beauty pageants), she became the second Indian Miss Universe. Dutta's win led to her appointment as a UNFPA Goodwill Ambassador in 2001. In the same year, Priyanka Chopra and Dia Mirza won their respective Miss World and Miss Asia Pacific titles which gave India a rare triple victory in the world of beauty pageants.
Film debut & breakthrough (2003-2004)
Dutta signed up for the Tamil film, Arasatchi in 2002, but due to financial problems, it was only released in mid-2004. She made her Hindi debut in 2003 with the film Andaaz which was a box office success and won her a Filmfare Best Female Debut Award. She then went onto appearing in Bardaasht, which failed to do well at the box office. Her next release Aan: Men at Work was also a flop in India. Insan, Elaan and Jurm also ended up failing to do well at the box office. However, she then appeared in the highly successful comedy, Masti opposite Ajay Devgn.
Initial success (2005-2010)
In 2005, Sania Mirza and Dutta both participated in Kaun Banega Crorepati (season 2) on 13 November 2005. In 2005, Dutta appeared in Kaal, which was a moderate success at the box office. Dutta then appeared in 2005's biggest hit, No Entry opposite actors Anil Kapoor, Salman Khan, Fardeen Khan, Bipasha Basu, Esha Deol and Celina Jaitley. She next appeared in Dosti: Friends Forever which was only an average grosser in India, however became the biggest hit of the year (for a Bollywood film) in overseas markets.
Dutta's first release of 2007 was Shaad Ali's Jhoom Barabar Jhoom. The film was a box office failure in India but did better overseas, especially in the U.K. She received mixed reviews for her performance in the film. Her later release, Partner became a "Blockbuster" in India and became the third biggest grosser of the year. Dutta then made a special appearance in Om Shanti Om.
Her 2009 release, Blue, was one of the most expensive movies of Indian cinema. Dutta had initially walked away from the project because the movie was entirely shot in the ocean and she did not know how to swim. However the male protagonist Akshay Kumar encouraged her in learning how to swim and she immediately started training with a special coach. Blue was released on 16 October 2009. She stated that "The moment I got to know of it, I called Akshay and told him that I wouldn't be able to accept the assignment. He knew the reason behind my decision. Not many people are aware that I had almost drowned while shooting for Andaaz, Akshay had rescued me. When I reminded him I couldn't swim, he told me to forget my phobia and learn swimming pronto," said Dutta. "Today, I feel Blue has not merely made me overcome my phobias, but has also taught me something that will stay with me for the rest of my life". Despite a promising opening, the film failed to do well at the box office. She also appeared in Do Knot Disturb, which also took a good start at the box office, however dropped in the coming days and failed to do well. Her 2010 release Housefull was a major success across India. She starred opposite Akshay Kumar, Deepika Padukone, Jiah Khan and Riteish Deshmukh. It was the fifth biggest hit in the country as it collected 1.14 billion (US$19 million) at the box office. She played the role of Hetal Petal, the main female character in the movie.
Recent work (2011-present)
In 2011, her first movie as a producer, Chalo Dilli was released. The film was a decent success, as it was made on a modest budget of 50 million (US$840,000). She then did an item number and had an extended special appearance in the movie Don 2 and the film was a major success especially Lara's item number. 
Following her post-pregnancy break from Hindi cinema, Lara Dutta signed a movie titled David. Filming was started by August, 2012 and she will have a very important role in the movie according to its director, Bejoy Nambiar. The film released 1 February 2013 and receive mixed reviews. Dutta has recently signed a No Entry sequel titled No Entry Mein Entry. She is also planning a Chalo Dilli sequel, Chalo China.
However, in September 2010, Dutta got engaged to Indian tennis player, Mahesh Bhupathi. They married on 16 February 2011 in a civil ceremony in Bandra, and later followed it by a ceremony on 20 February 2011 at Sunset Point in Goa. On 1 August 2011, Dutta confirmed that she was pregnant with their first child. On 20 January 2012 it was confirmed by Bhupathi via a popular networking site that Dutta had given birth to a baby girl, and they have named her Saira.
||Filmfare Best Female Debut Award|
|2003||Mumbai Se Aaya Mera Dost||Kesar|
|2004||Khakee||Special appearance in song "Aisa Jadoo"|
|2004||Aan: Men at Work||Kiran|
|2005||Dosti: Friends Forever||Kajal|
|2006||Alag||Special appearance in song "Sabse Alag"|
|2007||Jhoom Barabar Jhoom||Anaida Raza/Laila|
|2007||Om Shanti Om||Herself||Special appearance in song "Deewangi Deewangi"|
|2008||Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi||Special appearance in song "Phir Milenge Chalte Chalte"|
|2009||Do Knot Disturb||Dolly|
|2011||Chalo Dilli||Mihika Banerjee|
|2011||Don 2||Ayesha||Guest appearance|
|2014||Chalo China||Mihika Banerjee|
|TBA||Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai||Ishikha||Completed|
- 2004: Star Screen Award Most Promising Newcomer - Female, Andaaz
- 2004: Filmfare Best Female Debut Award, Andaaz (joint winner with Priyanka Chopra)
- 2008: Rajiv Gandhi awards (female contribution to film cinema)
- 2012: FICCI Young Achievers Award
- 2012: L’Oreal Femina Women Award
- 2004: Zee Cine Awards Best Female Debut for Andaaz
- 2006: IIFA Awards Best supporting actress for No Entry
- 2008: Zee Cine Awards Best Supporting Role for Jhoom Barabar Jhoom
- 2009: Stardust Awards Best Actress for Billu
- 2011: Zee Cine Awards Best Supporting Role for Housefull
- Seetharamaiah, K.V. (29 May 2003). "Lara's culmination of a dream". Times of India. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- Political Animal, Musical Genius, Healing potion — Nitin Sawhney Available online
- "Lara Dutta wins Gladrags battle". The Times of India. 13 April 2005. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "MISSOSOLOGY • View topic — LARA DUTTA at Gladrags Megamodel 1995". Missosology.info. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "World Beauty Organization — Miss Intercontinental® : Lara Dutta India". Missintercontinental.com. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "Lara Dutta Biography". Oneindia. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- Ranny Singka. "The on-line magazine covering the Miss USA, Miss Universe, Miss Teen USA, Miss AMerica, and Miss World Pageants". Behind The Crown. Retrieved 2011-11-30.
- UNFPA Goodwill Ambassadors profile page, Available online
- "Miss India Winners 2000 - 1991 - Indiatimes.com". Feminamissindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2011-11-30.
- "Sania mirza and lara dutta on kbc 2". 10 November 2005. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "imdb.com". JBJ does better overseas. Retrieved 26 July 2007.
- "boxofficeindia.com". Box office status for Partner. Archived from the original on 24 August 2007. Retrieved 26 July 2007.
- "Lara Dutta on Blue and a rocking 2009". Sify. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Boxofficeindia.com". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2011-11-30.
- "Boxofficeindia.com". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Lara Dutta to star in Bejoy Nambiar's David | Bollywood News | Hindi Movies News | News". BollywoodHungama.com. 24 May 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Lara Dutta#cite note-1
- "Lara Dutta and Mahesh Bhupathi to tie the knot". Bollywood (Mumbai, India). Bollywood. 18 February 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- Gupta, Chinki (19 September 2010). "Lara Dutta super-excited about "new" character in Don-2". Hindustan Times (New Dehli, India). Retrieved 2010-09-20.
- "Lara Dutta Wedding Details". Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- TNN (2 February 2011). "Mahesh Bhupathi and Lara Dutta exchange wedding vows". Times of India. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- TNN (1 August 2011). "Lara Dutta is pregnant!". Times of India. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- "Lara-Mahesh blessed with a baby girl". Hindustani Times. 20 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lara Dutta.|
|Awards and achievements|
|Femina Miss India