||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
||This article is incomplete. (April 2014)|
Spencer in March 2011
|Born||Lara Christine Von Seelen
June 19, 1969
Garden City, New York, United States
|Alma mater||Pennsylvania State University|
|Known for||The Insider, Good Morning America|
|Spouse(s)||David Haffenreffer (m. 2000)|
Lara Christine Von Seelen (known professionally as Lara Spencer) (born June 19, 1969) is the lifestyle anchor for ABC's Good Morning America. She is also a correspondent for Nightline and ABC News. Previously, she was the host of the syndicated television newsmagazine The Insider for seven seasons and was a regular contributor to CBS's The Early Show. Previous to this, she was the National Correspondent for Good Morning America and spent several years as a features and lifestyle reporter for WABC-TV. She also hosted Antiques Roadshow on PBS for the 2004 and 2005 seasons.
Spencer grew up in the New York City suburb of Garden City, where she attended Garden City High School. She attended Pennsylvania State University on an athletic scholarship for springboard and platform diving and was a nationally ranked competitive diver. She was named an All American Athlete in 1991, her senior year and graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism.
Following college, she went into the NBC page program where she would volunteer to go out with other reporters in order to gain experience. From there, she landed a position with CBS affiliate WDEF-TV in Chattanooga, where she "was literally a one-man band", serving as reporter, producer, editor, cameraman and news-van driver. A year later, she joined News 12 Long Island and two years following that she was anchoring the 3 AM newscast for WABC-TV. While there, she covered the TWA Flight 800 crash, which was considered her big break. She joined Good Morning America in 1999 as a national correspondent.
She married the former CNNfn journalist David Haffenreffer on September 1, 2000 at St. Andrew's Dune Church in an Episcopal ceremony. The couple has two children. They lived in the Riverside section of Greenwich, Connecticut before moving to Los Angeles in 2008. Lara and David Haffenreffer's wedding was featured in Martha Stewart's Weddings magazine. Segments were included in Martha's Weddings DVD set.
Spencer has also created and produced two shows for HGTV based on her passions for interior design and newscasting, which were a one-hour special that aired in April 2012 and a flea market-themed television series currently airing on the network called Flea Market Flip.
Spencer's first book, I Brake for Yard Sales, a guide on how to create high end looking rooms using second hand finds, was published in 2012. In September 2013, she and Chris Harrison hosted the 87th Miss America pageant at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey, in which Spencer had replaced Brooke Burke-Charvet. The pageant was broadcast on ABC on September 15.
- "WEDDINGS; Lara Spencer, David Haffenreffer". New York Times. 1 October 2000. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- Sherwood, Ben (2011-03-17). "Lara Spencer, Insider Co-Anchor, Joins Good Morning America". abcnews.go.com. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Guthrie, Marisa (2011-03-17). "Lara Spencer Leaving 'The Insider' for 'Good Morning America' - The Hollywood Reporter". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "Lara Spencer Biography". laraspencer.net. 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Blaschak, Kate (1996-01-31). "Coach scores Brownie points". The Digital Collegian. Archived from the original on 2001-03-20. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Needleman, Sarah E. (2009-09-29). "Lara Spencer and ‘The Insider’". The Wall Street Journal (New York: Dow Jones). ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Johnson, Jill (February 2012). "Firmly Anchored". greenwichmag.com. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Costagregni, Susie, "Antares party raises funds for Greenwich YMCA", headline for "The dish with susie" column in The Advocate (Stamford) of Stamford, Connecticut, May 13, 2007, page 2
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lara Spencer.|