Newman at the San Diego Comic-Con in 2011.
March 2, 1952 |
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Comedian, actress, voice artist, writer, and editor|
|Known for||Saturday Night Live|
|Spouse(s)||Chad Einbinder (m. 1991)|
|Children||Lena (b. 1991)
Hannah (b. 1995)
Newman was born on March 2, 1952, in Los Angeles, California, the granddaughter of a cattle rancher from Arizona. Her family is Jewish. She is the youngest of four children and a twin. Her sister, Tracy Newman, is an Emmy Award winning television writer. Newman attended Beverly Hills High School in Beverly Hills, California. Newman married actor-writer-director Chad Einbinder in 1991. They have two daughters, Lena (born 1991) and Hannah (born 1995).
She took her first improv classes when she was 15. After finishing high school she auditioned for four acting schools in England including Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art and Bristol Old Vic. She was not accepted after the second round of auditions for all four schools, so she went to Paris to study mime with Marcel Marceau for a year.
She was a founding member of The Groundlings and is best known for being an original cast member on NBC's Saturday Night Live, appearing on the show from its inception in 1975 through 1980. She originated the characters of Sheri the Valley Girl and Connie Conehead, among others:
During her five years on SNL she became a close friend of co-star Gilda Radner (although there was also a degree of rivalry between them). However, by her own account, she was unhappy for much of her time with the show - she disliked living in New York. Newman's post-SNL film career has been in both leading and supporting roles, as well as a voice artist on television and features. Among these were Perfect, American Hot Wax, Wholly Moses, Problem Child 2 and a cameo in Mr. Mike's Mondo Video. She also had a small role in Woody Allen's Stardust Memories - (1980) and in the 1993 film Coneheads. In 1986, she starred in the syndicated B-movie comedy series, The Canned Film Festival, playing the lead role as Laraine the usherette. Additionally, she made appearances on such programs as Laverne & Shirley, as Donut Rooter in Devo's We're All Devo VHS, According to Jim, St. Elsewhere, E.T. and Friends -(1983), in which she reprised her role as Connie Conehead, Steve Martin's Best Show Ever -(1981), Amazing Stories, Friends, The Tick, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Histeria!, Wayside, Danny Phantom, CatDog, As Told By Ginger, Rugrats (in "All Growed Up", an episode which would form the basis of the spinoff All Grown Up!, for which she also provided voice work), 7th Heaven, The Flintstones, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Metalocalypse. Most recently she appeared in an episode of Entourage and Brothers & Sisters, provided voice work for WALL-E, Battle for Terra, Ponyo, Jungle Junction, Cars, Up!, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc., Barnyard, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Happily N'Ever After, Horton Hears a Who!, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, and Wreck-It Ralph. She made a guest voice appearance in SpongeBob SquarePants and Doc McStuffins. She also voices Queen Jipjorrulac, the mother of Mark Chang, in The Fairly OddParents.
Newman also works as a writer and editor. She is a contributing editor for the online magazine One For The Table, and she is an occasional contributor to the Huffington Post. She has contributed articles for the Los Angeles Times, The Believer, and McSweeney's. She wrote the foreword to the book version of the UCB Production "Worst Laid Plans".
- Saturday Night Live - (1975-1980) as Herself - Cast Member
- St. Elsewhere (1982) - Episode in which she played a psychiatric patient who thought she was a bird. DVD of 1st season
- 3rd Rock From the Sun (1996) - Episode "World's Greatest Dick" - Guidance Counselor
- Friends (1996) - Episode "The One With the Bullies" as Mrs. Buffay
- The Oblongs (2000) - voice of Ms. Hubbard
- Curb Your Enthusiasm (2000) - Episode, "The Group" - Wendy Prager/Gwendolyn - Director of the play, "The Vagina Monologues"/Incest Survivor
- 7th Heaven (2002-2004) - Rosina Glass, 8 episodes
- Jungle Junction (2009-2013) as Carla, 14 episodes
- Turbo FAST - (2013) - voice of Queen Invicta in the episode "Ants Ants Revolution/Clamsquatch"
- Trophy Wife - (2014) - Juniper in the episode "The Big 5-0"
- TunnelVision - 1976 - Sonja
- American Hot Wax - (1978) - Teenage Louise
- Mr. Mike's Mondo Video - (1978) -cameo
- Stardust Memories - (1980) Film Executive (Uncredited)
- Wholly Moses - (1980)
- Perfect - (1985)
- Invaders from Mars - (1986)
- Problem Child 2 - (1991)
- Monsters, Inc. - (2001) Mother, School Teacher
- Finding Nemo - (2003) Pelicans, Additional Voices
- Shrek 2 - (2004) ADR Group
- Happily N'Ever After - (2006) Additional Voices
- Surf's Up - (2007) Additional Voices
- The Wild - (2006) Additional Voices
- Tangled - (2007) Additional Voices
- Horton Hears a Who! (2008) - Glummox Mom
- Ponyo - (2008) Woman in the boat
- WALL-E - (2008) Beauty Bot, Paramedic Bot, Announcer Bot
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - (2009) French Newscaster
- Up - (2009) Dogs, Additional Voices
- Shrek Forever After (2010) - ADR Group
- Tooth Fairy (2010) - Voice Cast
- Toy Story 3 - (2010) Additional Voices
- Tom and Jerry and the Wizard of Oz - (2011) The Wicked Witch of The West
- The Lorax - (2012) Additional Voices
- Wreck-It Ralph - (2012) Additional Voices
- Despicable Me 2 - (2013) Additional Voices
Video game roles
- Laraine Newman at the Internet Movie Database
- Laraine Newman at AllMovie
- Laraine Newman at the Internet Broadway Database
- Writings at One for the Table
- Laraine Newman interview video at the Archive of American Television