Large Installation System Administration Conference
The word "large" was dropped from the title of the 6th conference in 1992 (though retaining the "LISA" name). The full acronym was restored in the title of the 2003 conference and remains in use today. The definition of "large" was originally understood to mean sites with over 100 users or over 100 megabytes of storage.
The LISA conference were first held in 1986. The USENIX web site lists proceedings as far back as 1987, though only those proceedings from 1993 onward are available online. Attendance has recently been in the 1000-2000 range.
The conference is typically held in the fall in a conference center hotel somewhere in the United States. Between 1987 and 2008, roughly half of them were somewhere in California. It generally runs six days: six days of full-day and half-day tutorial training sessions, three days of technical sessions, and a two-day vendor exhibition. The technical sessions usually include multiple tracks, including a peer reviewed refereed paper track, invited talks, and a "Guru-Is-In" Q&A track.
The conference often ends with a LISA quiz show trivia contest.
The refereed papers are published in a proceedings volume. Many important topics in system administration were first disseminated publicly via LISA papers.
- LISA ‘14 - 28th Conference November 9-14, 2014, Seattle, WA
- LISA ‘13 - 27th Conference November 3-8, 2013, Washington, DC
- LISA ‘12 - 26th Conference December 9–14, 2012, San Diego, CA
- LISA ‘11 – 25th Conference December 4–9, 2011, Boston, MA
- LISA ‘10 – 24th Conference November 7–12, 2010, San Jose, CA
- LISA ‘09 – 23rd Conference November 1–6, 2009, Baltimore, MD
- LISA '08 – 22nd Conference November 9–14, 2008, San Diego, CA
- LISA '07 – 21st Conference November 11–16, 2007, Dallas, TX
- LISA '06 – 20th Conference December 3–8, 2006, Washington, DC
- LISA '05 – 19th Conference December 4–9, 2005, San Diego, CA
- The LISA '05 Conference Blog
- "LISA Special Interest Group for Sysadmins (formerly SAGE)". Retrieved 13 July 2013.
- "USENIX Events by Name: Large Installation System Administration Conference (LISA)". Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- "USENIX Timeline". USENIX. Retrieved 2 September 2009.
|This article about a computer conference is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|