Largest high school gyms in the United States
The largest high school basketball gyms in the United States refers to gymnasiums primarily used by secondary schools for basketball purposes. Most of the school gyms are located in the state of Indiana. A 1998 New York Times article reported that 15 of the 16 largest high school gymnasiums were located in Indiana.
The top fifteen in total seating capacity are as follows:
|1||Indiana||New Castle||New Castle Fieldhouse||9,325|
|2||Indiana||East Chicago||John A. Baratto Athletic Center||8,296|
|3||Indiana||Seymour||Lloyd E. Scott Gymnasium||8,110|
|5||Indiana||Marion||Bill Green Athletic Arena||7,560 |
|6||Texas||Dallas||Alfred J. Loos Fieldhouse||7,500|
|7||Indiana||Elkhart||North Side Gymnasium||7,373|
|8||Indiana||Michigan City||"The Wolves' Den" Gym||7,304|
|9||Indiana||Gary||West Side High School Gym||7,217|
|10||Indiana||Lafayette||Jefferson High School Gym||7,200|
|11||Indiana||Indianapolis||Southport High School Gym||7,124|
|12||Indiana||Washington||"The Hatchet House"||7,090|
|14=||Kentucky||Somerset||Pulaski County High School Gym||7,000|
This includes high school gyms with a capacity of 7,000 or greater that are confirmed to be opening in the future.
|Arizona||Fort Defiance||New Window Rock Thunderdome||8,000||2013|
- One other high school-owned facility has a basketball capacity that would place it in this list—the Round Valley Ensphere, at Round Valley High School in Eagar, Arizona. Although it has a maximum capacity of 9,200 for court sports, it is not included in this list because it is a domed football stadium.
- The Anderson High School Wigwam in Anderson, Indiana, which was the second largest high school gym in the country with a capacity of 8,996, closed in 2011, and remains standing but closed as of February 2013.
- USA Today Article on High School Gyms
- Johnson, Kirk (March 19, 1998). "HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL; 'Hoosiers' No More, but Heroes All the Same". The New York Times.
- Richmond High School official website (accessed April 3, 2010).
- http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/gyms.htm. Retrieved 2013-12-23. Missing or empty
- "The Hatchet House–one of Indiana's great high school basketball gyms" at Washington High School official website.
- Obert, Richard (February 13, 2010). "Rocking the rez". The Arizona Republic. Retrieved October 4, 2010.
- "Pulaski County High School Directory Entry - (# 228)". Directory of Member Schools. Kentucky High School Athletic Association. September 21, 2010. Retrieved October 4, 2010.
- Stephens, Mitch (February 20, 2013). "Beyond the X: Rez Ball fuels basketball fever in Arizona's Navajo Nation". MaxPreps.com (CBSSports.com). Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- "Round Valley Dome: Information". Round Valley Unified School District. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Cook, Bob (February 21, 2013), "Anderson, Indiana's Once-Mighty Wigwam Gym: Still Dead", Forbes, retrieved March 12, 2013