The first book in the series, The Heir
|Created by||Philippe Francq
Jean Van Hamme
|Formats||Original material for the series has been published as a set of graphic novels.|
|Main character(s)||Largo Winch
John D. Sullivan
Dwight E. Cochrane
Jean Van Hamme
|The series has been reprinted, at least in part, in Danish, Dutch, English, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and Serbian.|
The principal character is Largo Winch; birth name Largo Winczlav. Other important characters include Nerio Winch (his adoptive father, though they share a great-grandparent), senior Group W executives John D. Sullivan and Dwight E. Cochrane, and his friend Simon Ovronnaz.
Largo Winch started as a series of novels by Jean Van Hamme in the late 1970s, but stopped due to a lack of success and the huge amount of work Van Hamme had in the meantime with his comic books (e.g. Thorgal). When artist Philippe Francq wanted to start a series with Van Hamme, he revived his old hero, and reworked the novels into the first albums of the comic series. Later, new stories followed.
In the first two volumes of the series, L'héritier and Le Groupe W, Largo, a young and handsome orphan, is propelled to the head of a business empire, Group W, after his adoptive father Nerio is murdered, and goes through a lot of troubles to preserve his inheritance and avenge Nerio.
The following albums are more or less based on the same basic plot: someone is trying to harm Largo's company or to take control of it from him, and he has to fight that someone to ensure the survival of his holdings. Almost every story arc involves corrupt authority figures of a type which Nerio easily manipulated, but Largo confronts from the viewpoint of an "everyman".
All the stories of the series are published in two volumes, the first one being the one putting Largo in an impossible situation, and the second one letting him get out of it. In addition, both volumes share the same background color on the cover.
The stories appear originally in French, and have been translated into various languages, including Croatian, Danish, Dutch, English, German, Portuguese, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Italian and Tamil. The series is among the most popular comics series in French, with annual sales of nearly 500,000 copies.
Albums of the series
The English translation is given when the album title is French.
- L'Héritier (The Heir)
- Le Groupe W (The W Group)
- O.P.A. (Takeover Bid)
- Business Blues
- Dutch Connection
- La Forteresse De Makiling (The Makiling Fortress)
- L'heure du tigre (The Hour Of The Tiger)
- Voir Venise... (Visit Venice...)
- ...Et mourir (...And Die)
- Golden Gate
- Le Prix de l'argent (The Price Of Money)
- La Loi du dollar (The Law Of The Dollar)
- Les trois yeux des gardiens du Tao (The Three Eyes Of The Tao Guardians)
- La Voie et la vertu (Path And Virtue)
- Mer noire (Black Sea)
- Colère Rouge (Deep Anger)
- The Heir (includes The W Group) - March 2008 ISBN 978-1-905460-48-9
- Takeover Bid (includes Business Blues) - July 2008 ISBN 978-1-905460-58-8
- Dutch Connection (includes H) - February 2009 ISBN 978-1-905460-78-6
- The Hour of the Tiger (includes Fort Makiling) - August 2009 ISBN 978-1-905460-99-1
- See Venice... - February 2010 ISBN 978-1-84918-020-7
- ...And Die - May 2010 ISBN 978-1-84918-032-0
- Golden Gate - February 2011 ISBN 978-1-84918-069-6
- Shadow - April 2011 ISBN 978-1-84918-075-7
- The Price of Money - February 2012 ISBN 978-1-84918-112-9
- The Law of the Dollar - April 2012 ISBN 978-1-84918-117-4
- The Three Eyes Of The Tao Guardians - June 2013 ISBN 978-1-84918-147-1
- The Way and the Virtue - July 2013 ISBN 978-1-84918-154-9
- Cold Black Sea - July 2014 ISBN 978-1-84918-189-1
- Red Hot Wrath - August 2014 ISBN 978-1-84918-195-2
The English editions are censored.
Largo made his debut in Tamil in Mid 2012 through Muthu Comics, which has been in the comic industry since 1972.
Issues published so far are:
- என் பெயர் லார்கோ - En Peyar Largo (The Heir & The W Group) JUN 2012
- கான்க்ரீட் கானகம் நியூ யார்க் - Concrete Kanagam New York (Takeover Bid & Business Blues) JAN 2013
- துரத்தும் தலைவிதி - Thuratthum Thalaividhi ( H & Dutch Connection ) MAR 2013
4.ஆதலினால் அதகளம் செய்வீர் - Aaathalinaal athakalam seiveer (The Hour of the Tiger & Fort Makiling) SEP 2013
All Tamil issues of Largo Winch are Censored
In other media
An English-language TV series loosely based on the comics was launched in 2001 and lasted two seasons, starring Paolo Seganti as Largo Winch and Diego Walraff as Simon Ovronnaz. It aired in France on M6 and in Canada on Showcase Television as Largo. The complete series is available on DVD in France, with the episodes however only in dubbed French.
A film, written and directed by Jérôme Salle and starring Tomer Sisley as Largo Winch, was released in France on December 17, 2008, loosely adapting the first two issues with elements of the next two. A sequel, also by Salle, was released in 2011. Not adapting a particular storyline, it drew inspiration from the events of the fifth and six issues to create a new story. A third film is in the works, based on issues 13 and 14, without the involvement of Salle and Sisley but with a screenplay by series creator Jean Van Hamme himself, who'd been critical of the past films, and of Salle in particular.
A documentary, "Largo", directed by Yves Legrain-Crist with Jean Van Hamme and Philippe Francq, was released in France on Autumn 2007. This film shows two authors are searching for the answer to the question: "How is a comic book created?" It is available, with English subtitles, directly from the producers through VOD 
|Largo Winch: Empire Under Threat|
PC cover art
|Release date(s)||PlayStation 2 & Windows
Largo Winch: Empire Under Threat was released in 2002 by Dupuis and Ubisoft. The game is a puzzle-based 3rd-person adventure game with Largo himself as the playable character. The plot of the game follows the usual scenario of Largo Winch stories, with his business empire under threat as he fights to save it.