|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Born||Larissa Ramos Costa
February 4, 1989
Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Title(s)||Miss Terra Amazonas 2009
Miss Terra Brasil 2009
Miss Earth 2009
|Miss Terra Amazonas 2009 (Winner)
Miss Terra Brasil 2009(Winner)
Miss Earth 2009 (Winner)
Larissa Ramos Costa (born February 4, 1989, in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil) is a Brazilian beauty pageant titleholder who won Miss Terra Brasil 2009 and Miss Earth 2009, becoming the second Brazilian to win the title.
Miss Terra Brasil 2009
Representing the State of Amazonas, Ramos won the title of Miss Terra Brasil 2009. She was crowned by Tatiane Alves, Miss Terra Brasil 2008 and Miss Earth Fire 2008, on November 28, 2008 in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
Miss Terra Brasil 2009 national pageant was participated by 27 pageant winners from Brazil's 26 states and the Federal District. Ramos was 19 years old at the time she was crowned Miss Terra Brasil 2009. Standing 1.78 m., she represented her country in the 9th edition of Miss Earth pageant.
Ramos court as Miss Terra Brasil 2009 included Miss Brazil Earth Air (first runner up) Naiane Alves from the state of Pará; Miss Brazil Earth Water (second runner up) Luana Athar who represented the state of Rondônia; and Miss Brazil Earth Fire (third runner up) Debora Lyra from the state of Espírito Santo.
Miss Earth 2009
On November 7, 2009, Ramos was chosen as one of the Top 15 finalists in the Evening Gown Competition of Miss Earth 2009 at the Subic Bay Yacht Club, Subic, Pampanga. On November 8, 2009, she was again selected as one of the Top 15 finalists in the Swimsuit Competition which was held at The Lakeshore in Mexico, Pampanga.
In the final competition of the Miss Earth beauty pageant, Ramos was announced as one of sixteen semi-finalists who moved forward to compete for the title on November 22, 2009. She achieved one of the eight highest scores in the swimsuit and evening gown competitions for her stage chops, which advanced her as one of the top eight finalists to participate in the final round of the event.
For the 9th edition of Miss Earth, no single final question was asked. Instead, images were flashed on screen and each of the eight finalists were tasked to tell something about it. Each candidate was given 30 seconds to express her thoughts on a particular environmental subject. She interpreted the photos showing the problem of air pollution by saying: "I come from a country that has the largest rainforest in the world, and it is also known as the 'lungs of the world.' But we cannot just say that we are the 'lungs of the world' because my country produces a lot of air pollution as well."
Ramos, 20 years old at the time of the event, was crowned the Miss Earth 2009 during the coronation night at the Boracay Ecovillage Resort and Convention Center in Boracay Island, besting 79 other beauties from around the world. She succeeded Miss Earth 2008 winner Karla Henry from the Philippines. Miss Earth 2009 winner's court included Philippines' Sandra Seifert, 25, who was named Miss Air (1st Runner-up), Venezuela's Jessica Barboza, 22, was hailed Miss Water (2nd Runner-up), and Alejandra Echevarria, 20, of Spain got the title Miss Fire (3rd Runner-up). With Ramos winning the Miss Earth 2009 title, Brazil becomes the first country that won twice in the Miss Earth international competition since its inception in 2001, first in 2004 with Priscilla Meirelles.
Winners' press presentation
On November 23, 2009, Ramos and her court were presented to the international press at the Boracay Beach in Aklan province, central Philippines, which was declared by the British publication TV Quick as the world's number one tropical beach. Ramos appeared on different television shows and various events after her win together with Miss Earth Air Sandra Seifert of the Philippines, Miss Earth Water Jessica Barboza of Venezuela, and Miss Earth Fire Alejandra Echevarria of Spain.
She made a courtesy call immediately after her Miss Earth feat at the Embassy of Federative Republic of Brazil in the Philippines in Makati City and she was received and congratulated by Brazil Ambassador Alcides G. R. Prates. On December 13, 2009, Ramos arrived and had a public greeting at the Eduardo Gomes International Airport in Amazonas, Brazil followed by a motorcade which headed to the Amazonas Palace. She was received with due honors by the Brazilian government led by state secretary of culture, Robério Braga.
A year in the life as Miss Earth
After winning the Miss Earth crown in November 2009, Ramos participated in various events and travels during her three month stay in Brazil. She traveled to Ouro Preto, a world heritage site designated by UNESCO, in the state of Minas Gerais. In early March 2010, she was invited to São Paulo for the Formula Indy car race and participated in the world famous Rio Carnival.
Ramos returned to the Philippines on April 10, 2010 and served as one of the judges in the final competition of Miss Philippines Earth 2010 and Mr. Philippines Earth 2010, from which she traveled to Vietnam together with Carousel Productions team, to attend the official contract signing ceremony of Vietnam hosting of the Miss Earth 2010 pageant.
On April 18, 2010, Ramos and Miss Earth-Air 2010, Sandra Seifert together with Miss Earth Foundation participated in the 12th Tour of the Fireflies. The event aims to promote clean air and cycling as an alternate means of transportation. Ramos and Seifert were the special guests in the Discovery Dash event at SM Mall of Asia, Bay City, Pasay City, Philippines on April 30, 2010. The event was organized by Discovery Channel. She then left the Philippines to attend the Miss Minas Gerais 2010 won by Deborah Lyra and broadcast by Band Minas where she was the special guest on May 3, 2010.
In the Rotary Club of Northern Guam, she was the key note environmental speaker and talked about her experience as Miss Earth and promoted environmental awareness on June 7, 2010 . Ramos was accompanied by Karla Henry Miss Earth 2008, Lorraine Schuck, EVP Miss Earth Organization, and Maria Luisa Santos, Miss Earth Guam 2009. On June 11, 2010, Ramos attended the Miss Earth Guam pageant as a special guest. She crowned Naiomie Santos, the winner of the pageant.
In July 2010, Ramos traveled in various countries in Europe along with Miss Earth Air 2009, Sandra Seifert. The following month, she served as honorary judge in the ten-member jury panel in the Miss Vietnam World 2010 pageant in Vinpearl Land in the central coastal city of Nha Trang, Vietnam on August 21, 2010. The event was won by Luu Thi Diem Huong. She traveled back to Vietnam on August 25, 2010 along with Miss Earth Air 2009 Sandra Seifert, Miss Philippines Earth 2010 Kris Psyche Resus, and Carousel Productions officials to attend the press conference for the launcing of the 10th Miss Earth pageant held at the White Palace in Ho Chi Minh City.
Ramos was in Jakarta, Indonesia on October 26, 2010 as part of her campaign about the environment. She talked about biodiversity, saving water, electricity, plant trees, and how lifestyle can help the environmental damage and create a better future. She also visited the Kompas Gramedia Group, the largest media conglomerate in Indonesia. Her visit also marked by the release of turtle hatchlings and children planting trees around the beach Pantai Mertasari, Sanur, and Bali.
As Miss Earth 2009, Ramos has traveled not only in Brazil but to various countries included Norway, Sweden, Spain, Ukraine, Scotland, England, Guam, Indonesia, and multiple visits in Vietnam and the Philippines to promote environmental awareness.
- Azevedo, George (2008-12-01). "Belezas do norte". Tribuna do Norte. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- News, Online (2008-11-00). "Larissa Ramos will represent Brazil in Miss Earth". Grau10.net. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- Goyal, Abha (2008-11-28). "Beleza Brasil (Miss Earth Brazil) 2009". Grandslam Pageants. Retrieved 2009-01-20.[dead link]
- News, Online (2008-11-28). "Larissa Ramos, Beleza Brasil - Miss Terra Brasil 2009". Beleza Brazil. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- Mendel, Péricles (2008-12-01). "Beleza Brasil 2009". Cida de Verde, Brasil. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- Fashion News, Online (2008-12-01). "Miss Beleza Brasil é do Amazonas". Zebillin, Brasil. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- News Online, ABS-CBN (2009-11-23). "Brazil's bet is Miss Earth 2009". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2009-12-05.
- "Boracay coastline beckons vacationers". Bangkok Post. 2004-02-19. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- Online News, Agencies (2009-11-23). "Larissa Ramos crowned Miss Earth 2009". China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- Lira, Hêmilly (2009-12-19). "Miss Terra Larissa Ramos chega hoje em Manaus". Portal Amazonia/Rede Amazônica. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- Loi, Tran (2010-04-08). "Miss Earth Larissa Ramos Joins the 12th Tour of the Fireflies". The World ShowBiz. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- Prieto-Valdes, Tessa (2010-04-25). "Tour of the Fireflies". The Inquirer Network. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- Philippine Star, Online News (2010-05-01). "Ortigas & Co., Firefly Brigade rally for clean air". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- Loi, Tran (2010-04-21). "Miss Earth Larissa Ramos Joins the 12th Tour of the Fireflies". The World ShowBiz. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- Ribeiro, Ananias (2010-05-09). "Nova Miss Brasil 2010 é Débora Lyra de Minas Gerais". Piauí Press: Imprensa Piauiense. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- Kerrigan, Kevin (2010-06-07). "Brazil's Miss Earth 2009 Here to Promote Guam Pageant". Pacific News Center (Guam News) by Sorenson Media Group. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- Online News, Marianas (2010-06-11). "Maina beauty crowned 2010 Miss Earth Guam". Marianas Variety- Guam Edition. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- Taitano, Zita (2010-06-14). "2010 Miss Earth Guam". Marianas Variety- Guam Edition by Younis Art Studio Inc. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- Van Hien, Dr Vu (2010-08-12). "Miss Vietnam World final ‘best yet'". Radio The Voice of Vietnam. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- Quang Thong, Nguyen (2010-08-27). "Beauty and the brain". Vietnam's Thanh Nien. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- Quang Thong, Nguyen (2010-08-14). "Beauties vie for Miss Vietnam World in Nha Trang". Vietnam's Thanh Nien. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- Van Hien, Dr Vu (2010-08-26). "Vietnam to host Miss Earth 2010". Radio The Voice of Vietnam. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- Online, Vietnam News (2010-08-26). "Vietnam still searching for Miss Earth 2010 contestant". VietNamNet Bridge. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- Sofya, Eko Hendrawan (27 October 2010). "Larissa Ribeiro Ramos Tentang Amazon". Kompas Gramedia Group. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- News, Indonesia (30 October 2010). "Miss Earth Asal Brazil Prihatin Bencana di Indonesia". Bali Post. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- Miss Earth Official Website
- Beleza Brasil 2009 Official Website
- Miss Earth Foundation Official Website
Ana Elizabeth Falcão/Danyele Guimarães/Natássia Castelo Branco
Luísa de Almeida Lopes