Location in the Monterey Peninsula
|Location||464 Calle Principal, Monterey, California|
|Architect||Thomas O. Larkin|
|Architectural style||Monterey Colonial—Spanish Colonial|
|NRHP Reference #||66000215|
|Added to NRHP||October 15, 1966|
|Designated NHL||December 19, 1960|
The Larkin House, located at 464 Calle Principal, Monterey, California, was built in 1835 by Thomas O. Larkin. It is claimed that the house was the first two-story house in all of California, and that it was the first house with a fireplace in Monterey. The design combined Spanish Colonial building methods with New England architectural features and originated the popular Monterey Colonial style of architecture. The Larkin House is both a National and a California Historical Landmark.
In 1832 Thomas O. Larkin joined his half-brother John B. R. Cooper in business. Larkin became the most influential American in Monterey, capital of Alta California. He served as the only United States consul to Mexico in Monterey. Monterey expanded beyond the old Spanish Presidio walls. Many leading citizens built their large houses using white wash, sun-dried adobe bricks.
The Larkin House was designated as a California Historical Landmark in 1933. It then became a National Historic Landmark in 1960 and is part of the larger Monterey State Historic Park, which is itself designated a National Historic Landmark District.
- "Larkin House". Office of Historic Preservation, California State Parks. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15.
- "Larkin House". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- James Dillon (September 22, 1976) National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Larkin House, National Park Service and Accompanying four photos from 1958, 1968, and 1975
- Media related to Larkin House at Wikimedia Commons
- Official Larkin House website
- Official Monterey State Historic Park website
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. CA-128, "Larkin House, 464 Calle Principal, Monterey, Monterey County, CA", 13 photos, 16 measured drawings, 7 data pages, supplemental material
|This article about a property in California on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|