Larne Borough Council
|Ranked 21st of 26
- Total (2010)
94 / km²
|Control||No overall control
Alliance Party: 3
Sinn Féin: 1
Alliance Party: 1
Sinn Féin: 1
|MPs||Sammy Wilson (DUP)|
Larne Borough Council is a Local Council in County Antrim in Northern Ireland. It is set to merge with Ballymena Borough Council and Carrickfergus Borough Council in May 2015 under the reorganisation of local government in Northern Ireland to become Mid and East Antrim District Council.
The Borough of Larne Borough is divided into 3 electoral areas: Larne Town, Larne Lough and Coast Road. At the last election in 2011 15 members were elected from the following political parties: 4 Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), 3 Ulster Unionist Party (UUP), 2 Independent, 3 Alliance Party,1 Traditional Unionist Voice,1 Sinn Féin and 1 Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP).The current Mayor is Councillor Bobby McKee MBE (DUP); the current Deputy Mayor is Councillor Gerardine Mulvenna (APNI).
- See Also: Local Councils in Northern Ireland
2011 Election results
|•||Democratic Unionist Party||4||-1|
|•||Ulster Unionist Party||3||-1|
|Alliance Party of Northern Ireland||3||+1|
|•||Social Democratic and Labour Party||1||-1|
|•||Traditional Unionist Voice||1||+1|
Mayors of Larne
- 1973: Aubrey Girvan, Independent
- 1974: Tommy Seymour, Vanguard
- 1978: Roy Beggs, DUP then UUP
- 1983: Thomas Robinson, UUP
- 1984: Jack McKee, DUP
- 1986: Rosalie Armstrong, UUP
- 1987: Winston Fulton, DUP
- 1989: Rosalie Armstrong, UUP
- 1996: Sam McAllister, DUP
- 1997: Joan Drummond, UUP
- 2000: David Fleck, UUP
- 2002: Bobby McKee, DUP
- 2004: Roy Craig, Independent
- 2006: Danny O'Connor, SDLP
- 2007: Mark Dunn, UUP
- 2008: Bobby McKee, DUP
- 2010: Andy Wilson
- 2011: Bobby McKee, DUP
- 2012: Gerardine Mulvenna, Alliance
- 2013: Maureen Morrow, UUP
- 2014: Martin Wilson, SDLP
Review of Public Administration
Under the Review of Public Administration (RPA) the Council was due to merge with Ballymena Borough Council and Carrickfergus Borough Council in 2011 to form a single council for the enlarged area totalling 1047 km² and a population of 127,101. The next election was due to take place in May 2009, but on 25 April 2008, Shaun Woodward, Secretary of State for Northern Ireland announced that the scheduled 2009 district council elections were to be postponed until the introduction of the eleven new councils in 2011.
Freedom of the Borough
In memory of a battle in the town of Musa Qala in Afghanistan in 2006, involving the Royal Irish Regiment, a new regimental march, composed by Chris Attrill and commissioned by Larne Borough Council, was gifted to the regiment on Saturday 1 November 2008 in Larne, during an event in which the regiment was also presented with the 'Freedom of the Borough'. This gave the regiment the right to march through the towns of the borough with 'flags flying, bands playing and bayonets fixed'. The march was named, 'Musa Qala'.
The area covered by Larne Borough Council has a population of 32,180 residents according to the 2011 Northern Ireland census.
- "Minister Foster announces decisions on Local Government Reform". DoE. Retrieved 31 May 2008.
- Northern Ireland elections are postponed, BBC News, April 25, 2008, accessed April 27, 2008
- Freedom of the Borough
- "Carnfunnock Country Park". Larne Borough Council. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- "NI Census 2011 - Key Statistics Summary Report, September 2014" (PDF). NI Statistics and Research Agency. Retrieved 28 September 2014.