|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
|Birth name||Larnelle Steward Harris|
July 6, 1947 |
Danville, Kentucky, U.S.
|Genres||Gospel, contemporary Christian|
|Instruments||Vocals, saxophone, drums|
|Associated acts||The Spurrlows, First Gear, Gaither Vocal Band, Sandi Patty|
Larnelle Steward Harris (born July 6, 1947) is an American gospel singer and songwriter. During his 30-plus years of ministry, Harris has recorded 18 albums, won five Grammy Awards and 18 Dove Awards, and has had several number one songs on the inspirational music charts.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Music
- 3 Television work
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Discography
- 6 Video
- 7 Awards and honors
- 8 References
- 9 External links
A native of Danville, Kentucky, Harris started playing the drums at the age of nine. His first formal vocal training came when he attended college at Western Kentucky University, from which he graduated in 1969. Harris then became a part of the popular gospel touring group The Spurrlows (beginning as drummer). He received notability for his solo work and as member of the Gaither Vocal Band from 1984 through 1987.
Perhaps Harris' best-known songs are his duets with Sandi Patty, "More than Wonderful" (1984) and "I've Just Seen Jesus" (1986). His song, "Mighty Spirit" was featured in a 1993 television campaign for the Points of Light Foundation, headed by President George H. W. Bush; he performed the song for Bush and his wife Barbara at the White House. His recording of "All Along the Way," co-written by Greg Nelson and Dan Schafer, reached the No. 1 spot for five weeks on the CCM Christian Inspirational chart and No. 6 for the top songs of 1998.
Harris has appeared live on television series such as Live with Regis and Kathie Lee, The 700 Club, several Billy Graham crusades, and the Trinity Broadcasting Network. He has appeared on numerous Gaither Homecoming shows, and his own Christmas special. In his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, Harris has made many appearances on the WHAS Crusade for Children, a long-running local telethon benefitting children's charities. In 1995, Harris was featured in the Warren Chaney docudrama, America: A Call to Greatness.
Harris met his wife Cynthia (Mitzi) while both were students at at Western Kentucky University. They have two children Lonnie (Larnelle Jr.) and Teresa. They have lived in Louisville for more than three decades. Despite his schedule, Harris serves as a deacon in his home church, and previously served as its treasurer. Harris is well-known within the gospel music industry for his reluctance to schedule performances that take him away from his family for any length of time.
With First Gear
- 1972: First Gear featuring Larnelle Harris (Myrrh 6505)
- 1974: Caution!Steep Hill Use First Gear (Myrrh 6515)
- 1977: Larnelle...More
- 1978: Free
- 1980: Give Me More Love in My Heart
- 1982: Touch Me Lord
- 1983: I've Just Seen Jesus
- 1986: Larnelle...Christmas
- 1987: From a Servant's Heart
- 1987: The Father Hath Provided
- 1989: I Can Begin Again
- 1990: Larnelle Live...Psalms Hymns & Spiritual Songs (with the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir)
- 1992: I Choose Joy
- 1994: Beyond All the Limits
- 1995: Unbelievable Love
- 1998: First Love
- 2001: A Story To Tell
- 2003: Pass The Love
- 2005: I Want To Be A Star
- 1991: The Best of 10 Years, Vol. 1&2
- 1986: The Best of Larnelle
Appearances on other albums
- 1991: Live with Friends The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir; "I Can Be Glad"
- 1992: Handel's Messiah: A Soulful Celebration
- 1993: The New Young Messiah; "Ev'ry Valley Shall Be Exalted", "Surely He Hath Borne Our Griefs"
- 1994: Promise Keepers: A Life That Shows; "In a Way That Matters"
- 1994: Stories & Songs of Christmas; "Silent Night"
- 1994: Saviour: The Story of God's Passion for His People (with Steve Green, Twila Paris, Wayne Watson, Wintley Phipps)
- 1995: Christmas Carols of the Young Messiah; "Amen"
- 1995: Hymns & Voices; "It Is Well With My Soul", "The Lord's Prayer"
- 1996: Emmanuel: A Musical Celebration of the Life of Christ; "Rejoice Emmanuel"
- 1997: God With Us: A Celebration of Christmas Carols & Classics; "Go Tell It on the Mountain"
- 1998: Ralph Carmichael and Friends Live; "Here and Now I Believe"
- 2000: Vestal & Friends, Vol. 2 Vestal Goodman; "The Lamb Has Brought Us Home"
- 1991: Larnelle Live: My Time With You (VHS)
- 1992: I Choose Joy (VHS)
- 1994: Sparrow TV Dinners (VHS) various artists; "Teach Me to Love", duet with Steve Green
- 2002: More Than the Music ...Live (VHS) various artists; "The Lord's Prayer"
- 2005: Timeless: Concert of Faith & Inspiration (various artists)
- 2013: Live in Nashville
Gaither Homecoming performances
- 1993: A Christmas Homecoming "Amen"
- 1996: Homecoming Texas Style "Amen"
- 1998: Down By The Tabernacle "I Go To The Rock"
- 1999: Kennedy Center Homecoming "America, the Beautiful", "I've Just Seen Jesus" duet with Sandi Patty
- 2002: God Bless America "Jesus Saves"
- 2002: Let Freedom Ring "More Than Wonderful" with Sandi Patty
- 2003: Going Home "Friends in High Places"
- 2004: Dottie Rambo with Homecoming Friends "I Go to the Rock"
- 2004: We Will Stand "Dream On"
- 2005: Israel Homecoming "Amen"
- 2005: Jerusalem Homecoming "I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked"
- 2009: Gaither Vocal Band Reunion Volume 1 "Your First Day in Heaven", "Can't Stop Talking About Him", "A Few Good Men"
- 2009: Gaither Vocal Band Reunion Volume 2 "Dream On", "Build An Ark", "The Love of God"
- 2011: Alaskan Homecoming "How Great Thou Art", "The Star Spangled Banner"
- 2011: Majesty "I’ve Just Seen Jesus" with Ladye Love Smith
- 2011: Tent Revival Homecoming "I Don’t Want to Get Adjusted"
- 2011: The Old Rugged Cross "His Eye Is on the Sparrow"
Awards and honors
- 1983: Best Gospel Performance by Duo or Group for "More Than Wonderful" with Sandi Patty
- 1985: Best Gospel Performance by Duo or Group for "I've Just Seen Jesus" with Sandi Patty
- 1985: Best Solo Gospel Performance for "How Excellent Is Thy Name"
- 1987: Best Gospel Performance, Male for The Father Hath Provided
- 1998: Best Gospel Performance, Male for Larnelle...Christmas
GMA Dove Awards
- 1981: Contemporary Gospel Album of the Year for Give Me More Love in My Heart
- 1983: Male Vocalist of the Year
- 1983: Inspirational Album of the Year for Touch Me Lord
- 1986: Inspirational Album of the Year for I've Just Seen Jesus
- 1986: Male Vocalist of the Year
- 1988: Songwriter of the Year
- 1988: Male Vocalist of the Year
- 1992: Inspirational Album of the Year for Larnelle Live...Psalms, Hymns & Spiritual Songs
- 1993: Inspirational Album of the Year for Generation 2 Generation
- 1996: Inspirational Album of the Year for Unbelievable Love
- Silver Bell Award for Distinguished Public Service presented by Ad Council
- Cashbox Magazine Award for Contemporary Gospel Single of the Year for "I Can Begin Again"
- Stellar Award, Best Solo Performance by Male Contemporary for "The Father Hath Provided"
- Singing News Fan Award for Favorite Black Artist
- The Christian Music Hall of Fame (inducted in 2009)[dead link]
- "Past Winners Search – Larnelle Harris".
- "SR 98: Resolution proclaiming Larnelle Harris Day" (DOC). Kentucky Senate. 1998. Retrieved 2006-12-18.
- "Larnelle Harris Biography". Christian Publicity Services.
- "”All Along the Way” No. 1 Page". www.DanSchafer.com. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- "THE PATH Christian Radio: CDR Radio Network". CDR Radio Network.
- America Movie (Musicians)
- "Created to Shine: Today's Christian". Christianity Today.
- http://hallmuseum.com/9awards.htm The Christian Music Hall of Fame 2009